lordstanley

March 2019 Game Threads

Bob McKenzie says that Blash will get a contract extension. No idea what that means for Holland/Yzerman.

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

Bob McKenzie says that Blash will get a contract extension. No idea what that means for Holland/Yzerman.

I take it to mean that Yzerman won't be coming back to the Red Wings.

15 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I take it to mean that Yzerman won't be coming back to the Red Wings.

Not sure why. Depending on how much/how long, If you want to leave the deck clear for a management change, extending Blashill is at least as much a hedge about Holland's future as signing a new coach to what would likely be a longer term and bigger dollars. 

Or they know it's going to be a long slog and a new coach isn't going to make much of a difference. If Yzerman wants a new coach, Blashill gets a golden parachute and everyone is happy.

I was curious if Blashill and Yzerman overlapped in Detroit but it looks like Blashill became a Babcock assistant right after Yzerman left for Tampa.

I'm hoping it is just a year, two year extension tops.  I'm not against bringing him back I just wish the Yzerman question was settled before it happened....

39 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

I was curious if Blashill and Yzerman overlapped in Detroit but it looks like Blashill became a Babcock assistant right after Yzerman left for Tampa.

I'm hoping it is just a year, two year extension tops.  I'm not against bringing him back I just wish the Yzerman question was settled before it happened....

Like Chris I said, Yzerman is under contract. The world won't stop until then so we have to live with uncertainty until then.

I doubt Yzerman cares that much about the coach year 1 in the hypothetical.

It would have to be a situation where he has someone that is available now and only now to move off of Blash.  Otherwise he would just wait out Blash' contract, presuming Steve wants someone else.

Yzerman is not coming here unless he gets a 5 year deal or something.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I doubt Yzerman cares that much about the coach year 1 in the hypothetical.

It would have to be a situation where he has someone that is available now and only now to move off of Blash.  Otherwise he would just wait out Blash' contract, presuming Steve wants someone else.

Yzerman is not coming here unless he gets a 5 year deal or something.

quennville

Really bored at work and looked into when Yzerman joined Lighting...

May 25, 2010 - Yzerman named GM

June 10, 2010 - Guy Boucher named head coach

March 24, 2013 - Boucher is fired, they ultimately bring up Cooper with no NHL experience.

Looking forward to...Sheldon Keefe as the Wings' head coach in 2022?

Wings, Sens and Devils all lose in regulation. Kings win. That will be your bottom 4. Ottawa almost certainly bottom 1, with the others a toss-up for bottom #2, #3 and #4.

39 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I would not want Quenneville, but that is just me.

why?

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Wings, Sens and Devils all lose in regulation. Kings win. That will be your bottom 4. Ottawa almost certainly bottom 1, with the others a toss-up for bottom #2, #3 and #4.

I'm going to be angry when Colorado gets first overall

Mantha scores the tying and winning goals as the Wings beat Las Vegas in OT.  Both goals were started by Larkin, although he only gets an assist on the OT goal.

Ottawa and NJ also won today, the Kings are tied in the 3rd. 

Another meaningless win tonight. You either want Jack Hughes or you want mediocrity. There is no reason any of their top players should be on the ice for the remainder of the season. AA, Mantha, Larkin, Howard should all be shutdown. This team should be doing everything short of pulling a Paul Coffey to lose games and be in the best position possible to have a shot at Jack Hughes.

We have now fallen behind LA into 3rd in the draft lottery standings. This is turning into an unmitigated disaster.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:55 AM, Buddha said:

why?

Because he is thought to be more of a systems coach and a disciplinarian and I am concerned he will not be as focused on young player development as I would like.

I am not sure why he would want to come to Detroit either, but that does not address your question.

8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Another meaningless win tonight. You either want Jack Hughes or you want mediocrity. There is no reason any of their top players should be on the ice for the remainder of the season. AA, Mantha, Larkin, Howard should all be shutdown. This team should be doing everything short of pulling a Paul Coffey to lose games and be in the best position possible to have a shot at Jack Hughes.

We have now fallen behind LA into 3rd in the draft lottery standings. This is turning into an unmitigated disaster.

You need to take about 20% off over there.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You need to take about 20% off over there.

Coaching in the NHL is getting pretty silly when you only have 3 coaches in the league with 5 yrs at their current team. When coaches are moving around that fast I think it means teams are buying into the convenient fallacy that changing coaches can replace getting better players.

13 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If a team is trying to win the Stanley Cup, I wouldn't call being #3 in the NHL an unmitigated disaster. 

If a team is trying to win the draft lottery, I wouldn't call being #3 worst in the NHL an unmitigated disaster.

Chill.

19 hours ago, lordstanley said:

If a team is trying to win the Stanley Cup, I wouldn't call being #3 in the NHL an unmitigated disaster. 

If a team is trying to win the draft lottery, I wouldn't call being #3 worst in the NHL an unmitigated disaster.

Chill.

We need every lottery ball we can get and every time we win a game it is a disaster. Yes, I know that the team with the most lottery balls doesn't always get the #1 overall pick, see Edmonton always winning the lottery for an example of that. But there is no reason that any of our best players should be on the ice for the remainder of the season. They should be fielding a roster from now until seasons end that they know will put them in the best possible position for drafting Jack Hughes. That means shutting down Larkin, Mantha, AA, Howard. If NBA teams can manage to do this, NHL teams can too. It's not like what I am calling for is unprecedented, teams in other sports do it.

Also, New Jersey is still within range of passing us and sending us down to 4th. That's the difference between Jack Hughes and Dylan Cozens or Kirby Dach. :/

Don’t forget this isn’t a Hughes or bust draft.  Kakko is damn good too.

44 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We need every lottery ball we can get and every time we win a game it is a disaster. Yes, I know that the team with the most lottery balls doesn't always get the #1 overall pick, see Edmonton always winning the lottery for an example of that. But there is no reason that any of our best players should be on the ice for the remainder of the season. They should be fielding a roster from now until seasons end that they know will put them in the best possible position for drafting Jack Hughes. That means shutting down Larkin, Mantha, AA, Howard. If NBA teams can manage to do this, NHL teams can too. It's not like what I am calling for is unprecedented, teams in other sports do it.

Also, New Jersey is still within range of passing us and sending us down to 4th. That's the difference between Jack Hughes and Dylan Cozens or Kirby Dach. :/

Ridiculous

5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Ridiculous

Are you against the Red Wings tanking with 7 games left in the season? If not, part of tanking is to ensure you field the least competitive product possible so you put yourself in the best position to be #1 overall in the draft lottery. What is ridiculous about mailing it in with 7 games left and giving yourself an even greater shot at Hughes?