lordstanley

March 2019 Game Threads

12 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

AA with the most ice time of all forwards as a center wew

He gave Terrible Ted a classy tribute after his goal:

https://streamable.com/3y3l8

Always good to score, but I liked the play where AA made the nice back pass on the rush. 

Putting the whole team on his shoulders while Larkin is out... good start at showing what he can do with all that pressure... could be a huge blessing in disguise...

7 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

AA with the most ice time of all forwards as a center wew

He gave Terrible Ted a classy tribute after his goal:

https://streamable.com/3y3l8

would you trade AA for a raw defenseman with huge upside?  i know the answer is "which one"?  but i dont know enough about the league to say.

but AA seems like a young, flawed player with a **** ton of speed and a lot of potential.  what would it take to give that up?

34 minutes ago, Buddha said:

would you trade AA for a raw defenseman with huge upside?  i know the answer is "which one"?  but i dont know enough about the league to say.

but AA seems like a young, flawed player with a **** ton of speed and a lot of potential.  what would it take to give that up?

I definitely would if the Wings scouting thinks the defenseman coming back has top 4 potential.  The Wings need as many lottery tickets on defense as they can get, and I'm still skeptical that AA puts a complete game together.  I enjoy him a lot as a player and like him on the Wings, but I'm fine dealing him for defense help.  This is my feeling on Mantha too really.

Of the forwards on the roster right now I would be willing to trade everyone except Larkin, Zadina, Bertuzzi, and Rasmussen if it meant getting back a defenseman who offers more potential than what they currently have (even if they are more raw than say Hronek, but have more potential).  Bertuzzi and Rasmussen I could potentially be talked into it depending on what was offered....but I want to see where their games go in the next couple of seasons.

Also mildly related to this.... I hear Cholowski is looking pretty awful down in Grand Rapids, yikes.

45 minutes ago, Buddha said:

that's a great question. First take I would say yes, but I might talk myself out of it.  The dilemma is that what AA has now can't be taught and what he lacks he might get better at. This might be an easier question if they had tried him at center earlier. But either way I'm not sure I'd be looking for raw, we already have some of them and just added Bowey who is sort of more of the same. I think if they pull the trigger on a big trade they need go for an established Dman. More costly of course, but that is the need they have to address.

If the defenseman coming back is Bowey level.... absolutely not haha.  Definitely had a higher tier raw defender in mind.

What would be sweet is if they could use some pieces to go after Jake Trouba's or Zach Werenski's rights in the offseason if the Jets or CBJ don't think they can fit them in their cap...both are RFA and both Michigan born too.  

So, they snap an eight game winless streak with Larkin out of the lineup. 

Must mean he stinks.  Get rid of him.  

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

On 3/8/2019 at 6:18 PM, Buddha said:

A year ago I'd have cut you off with an emphatic "YES!" before you could finish, but now I'm not so sure. AA has taken a leap forward this year. He's not just fast now, he's finishing more than ever.

Wings lose in regulation 3-2 in Tampa. Surprised they only lost by a goal, to be honest. Maybe Stevie Y asked his team to show some mercy.

But Ottawa, NJ and Los Angeles also lost in regulation today. So nothing really happened. The crawl to the finish continues.

Let’s Go Red Wings!  Keep picking up points on the road against 1st place teams. 

They are getting eviscerated tonight in Florida. 6-1 Panthers shots are 36-13 in favor of the home team. Kids are learning from the vets how to get destroyed each night.

17 minutes ago, kdog said:

They are getting eviscerated tonight in Florida. 6-1 Panthers shots are 36-13 in favor of the home team. Kids are learning from the vets how to get destroyed each night.

Wings should pass (be passed by?) LA easily, end up with 2nd worst record. 

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Wings should pass (be passed by?) LA easily, end up with 2nd worst record. 

Ottawa/Colorado are going to have the best odds. Wings have a low chance to catch them. I'd like some cushion for 2 and they are delivering.

I cannot imagine many times in the past 35 years that there has been a less inspiring game on the Wings' schedule than Detroit @ Florida in early March 2019 with both times miles from the playoffs.

On 3/10/2019 at 7:43 PM, kdog said:

Ottawa/Colorado are going to have the best odds. Wings have a low chance to catch them. I'd like some cushion for 2 and they are delivering.

Everyone knows it's going to Edmonton. :(

Pronman: "Kuffner, like Veronneau, saw his counting numbers take a step back this season. He’s a goal-scorer who can snipe from a distance and has good hockey sense. For me his talent level isn’t all that amazing. He has some skill and speed, but his pace isn’t always the best. I see some offense translating but I don’t see him as a driver at the pro level"

June 30, 1996 | 5-foot-10 | 161 pounds

Hirose is the top scorer in college hockey this season. He’s a skilled forward with great hockey sense who moves the puck creatively and can run a power play. He’s not that big, though, and his skating is very average, which might limit him at the next level.

Prospect Filip Larsson made the NHCH all rookie team:

SCSU PLACES PAIR ON SQUAD, WHILE TWO GOALIES SHARE ALL-ROOKIE HONORS

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – With the regular season complete, the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) unveiled its 2018-19 All-Rookie Team on Tuesday, which features players from six different teams, including two from St. Cloud State. Seven players make up this year’s NCHC All-Rookie Team, as Denver goaltender Filip Larsson and North Dakota netminder Adam Scheelshared the honor.

A Spartan reporter on twitter said he's going straight to the Wings, no clue if he's actually plugged in but it would be interesting if true.

Wings were in Montreal tonight, lost 3-1. Anyone find anything of interest in this game? Didn't think so. Me neither.

43 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Wings were in Montreal tonight, lost 3-1. Anyone find anything of interest in this game? Didn't think so. Me neither.

Nope. Carey Price moved ahead of Jacques Plante in all time wins. Other than that, there was nothing redeeming about this. 

Tankathon baby. The wings have one game on their schedule before the end of the year that might be what one would consider an easier game. The rest are damn tough. They could lose out. For purposes of draft position, I hope they do. 

It looked like NJ might pick up a point or two last night, as they led Calgary 4-3 heading into the 3rd. Final score? Calgary 9 New Jersey 4, lol. This Hughes competition is fierce!

The Wings' point totals were 79 two years ago and 73 last year. This year they have 58 points in 70 games, with 12 to play. 

13 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I legit fell asleep by mistake during the first period.  Gosh the Wings are boring right now... also I'm counting down the games until Vanek is gone that guy is officially washed up.