lordstanley

March 2019 Game Threads

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I actually wouldn't because there has to be some ethical boundaries and this is one of them. On top of that (and I haven't read through the entire league rule book) if league officials found out you were purposefully putting pucks in your own net to lose games I would imagine there would be a sizable penalty for doing that.

Designate Saturday as Mikael Samuelsson Night. A long overdue honor.  Wings players can pay tribute to Samuelsson by shooting way wide of the net all night.

• Haha 1

Rangers tie Columbus with 6 seconds to go in regulation to grab a point. But Rangers lose the shootout and are up 2 up on the Wings.

Wings lose tomorrow, even with a loser point, and they finish 4th worst. Wings win and Rangers get at least a point tomorrow in Pittsburgh then the Wings would be 5th worst. Wings win and the Rangers lose in regulation in Pittsburgh then the Wings would be 6th worst.

Sabres have outshot the Wings 8-2 the first 5 minutes and lead Detroit 1-0. Rangers already losing 1-0 early in Pittsburgh.

Mantha scores his 25th but the Wings still trail, 2-1 after 1. Rangers tied 1-1 with Pitt at 1. Despite the favorable first 20 minutes, I"d probably take 5th worst, at this point.

Wings lose 7-1.

Finished 4th worst overall. There are few times in the season where that would not have seemed like a likely final placement.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Is Tater in net for the Wings tonight? 5-1 Sabres after 2.

Yeah, I got the late call up. I am glad to see they lost but puzzled as to why this team went on a random winning streak at season's end. Oh well, let's hope for Hughes now. At very least, hope for the #2 slot and get Kakko.

49 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If it is random, it means there is no obvious explanation.

yeah - IIRC correctly, they had two hot streaks - the one early in 2019 when a bunch of guys came off injury in short succession, and the one at the end with a bunch of new players, so I guess if you want to force seeing a common thread it would be guys coming in fresh/new maybe playing at higher energy levels than they can sustain long term.

But that doesn't explain what the Larkin/Bertuzzi/Mantha line was doing. Whether that was just all their biorhythms aligning together for a couple of weeks or whether they have taken a step to the next level together will be next season's big question. 

I think maybe Howard threw it a little last night.   Don't know if he was asked to, but he's a veteran who knows a little more.  Better to ask him to do it than the young guys.   

7 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah - IIRC correctly, they had two hot streaks - the one early in 2019 when a bunch of guys came off injury in short succession, and the one at the end with a bunch of new players, so I guess if you want to force seeing a common thread it would be guys coming in fresh/new maybe playing at higher energy levels than they can sustain long term.

But that doesn't explain what the Larkin/Bertuzzi/Mantha line was doing. Whether that was just all their biorhythms aligning together for a couple of weeks or whether they have taken a step to the next level together will be next season's big question. 

I just think that line just got hot as lines sometimes do.  Nothing more to it than that.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I just think that line just got hot as lines sometimes do.  Nothing more to it than that.

Crepe hanger

When watching the show on Tuesday night, for the first several cards we will hope  that each flipped card shows the logo of the team next in line. In other words, let's say the 1st card flipped shows the Habs logo and the next flipped card shows the Arizona logo, that's good, but if the 3rd flipped card shows Chicago's instead of Florida's then that means Florida won one of the top 3 lottery picks and the Wings - unless they too win one of the top 3 lottery picks - have been bumped down a spot from #4.  Once the Rangers' card is flipped, we want the next card flipped to show Buffalo not Detroit, obviously. Once Buffalo's card is flipped, we want any logo  other than the Wings to be on the next flipped card, but ideally Ottawa's.

And if Edmonton wins the lottery do we just forget everything you said above and flip Bettman's car over and light trash cans on fire?

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

And if Edmonton wins the lottery do we just forget everything you said above and flip Bettman's car over and light trash cans on fire?

If Edmonton or Buffalo or NYR wins the # 1 pick in the lottery I'm going to hold you personally responsible for discouraging the Red Wings from winning their last couple of games.

42 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

If Edmonton or Buffalo or NYR wins the # 1 pick in the lottery I'm going to hold you personally responsible for discouraging the Red Wings from winning their last couple of games.

This is going to be David Stern, Patrick Ewing and the frozen envelope all over again if Hughes ends up a Ranger. BTW, when that fiasco went down, none other than current NHL Commissioner and Kevin Spacey lookalike Gary Bettman was an NBA Executive.

7 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The Wings are more likely to pick 6th than 1st-4th combined.

60% chance to pick 5th or 6th.

yeah - that is one weird odds table.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Ottawa has more of a chance to pick 4th than 1, 2 or 3 combined.

Tanking isn't that a big advantage with this table.

then I guess they are achieving their objective.

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This is going to be David Stern, Patrick Ewing and the frozen envelope all over again if Hughes ends up a Ranger. BTW, when that fiasco went down, none other than current NHL Commissioner and Kevin Spacey lookalike Gary Bettman was an NBA Executive.

If so then it won't have mattered that the Wings had a hot streak at the end of the season.