lordstanley

March 2019 Game Threads

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It hasn’t really been talked about but you don’t have to win the lottery to still draft Hughes.   Depending on which team wins the lottery there may be an opportunity to trade up to the top pick.  

I assume a big ransom but I really have no idea what it would cost to move up from pick #5 or #6 to #1.  Does it take Dylan Larkin and whatever 1st round pick for the Wings to end up with for the top pick? Is that even enough?    Does the same apply to a lesser degree for the #2 spot with Kakko?   Interesting things to ponder 

Any team that trades out of the top pick and passes on Hughes should be universally laughed at by the NHL universe. Would any GM in their right mind pass on Hughes?

One that thinks Hughes is over-rated?

Or one who thinks the hype drives the value enough to take the bird in hand.

There have been can't miss prospects that became merely good players in the league.

I don’t think they would but if the Wings offered Larkin, Mantha, and their #1 pick, that is essentially an entire top 9 line in return for one player.   I think most GM’s would be universally laughed at for not at least considering a deal like that.   

12 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Any team that trades out of the top pick and passes on Hughes should be universally laughed at by the NHL universe. Would any GM in their right mind pass on Hughes?

Ottawa/Colorado wins the #1 spot. Wings win the #2 spot.  Is the difference between Hughes and Kakko so great that if Holland  offered Colorado the #2 overall, plus a choice of Mantha or AA, plus a 2nd rounder, you as the holder of the #1 overall wouldn't consider it? That's just one example.

Just now, Hongbit said:

I don’t think they would but if the Wings offered Larkin, Mantha, and their #1 pick, that is essentially an entire top 9 line in return for one player.   I think most GM’s would be universally laughed at for not at least considering a deal like that.   

I wouldn't trade Larkin + the Wings' 1st round pick (let's say #5 overall) for Hughes. I'm just not THAT high on Hughes. Maybe I'm over-influenced by having been underwhelmed when I watched him in person at the world juniors. Not saying he shouldn't be #1 overall, but I don't see him as a McDavid or Dahlin. Put another way, I wouldn't trade Larkin straight up for recent #1 overall pick Hischier today.  Don't think I'd trade Larkin straight up for recent #2 overall Patrick Laine either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Wings w

Ottawa/Colorado wins the #1 spot. Wings win the #2 spot.  Is the difference between Hughes and Kakko so great that if Holland  offered Colorado the #2 overall, plus a choice of Mantha or AA, plus a 2nd rounder, you as the holder of the #1 overall wouldn't consider it? That's just one example.

If you believe Hughes is a generational talent you don't consider a deal like that if you're Colorado, I wouldn't think. That is, unless you believe Kakko will be just as good. The idea of your top two Center's being Nathan MacKinnon and Jack Hughes has to be tantalizing and daunting.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If you believe Hughes is a generational talent

I don't believe Hughes is a generational talent. I guess we'll see.

18 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Really, this team might be a couple defencemen away from being a contender.      Not sure if they are going to need a lot more offense.  As bad as they were this season they are going to finish with 2 30 goal scorers and 2 more 20+ goal scorers and they're all young guys.   They will have cap space too.    Filip Zadina and Joey Veleno are coming soon.   Michael Rasmussen is going to be good and I still think if Svechnikov is healthy he can be good.   

They might actually be winning because Ericsson, Daley and Green aren't playing.   

Just counting kids...

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha

Hirose-AA-Zadina

Svechnikov-Veleno-Rasmussen

I like those lines if they reach potential. Always a roll of the dice, but I do like those 3 lines.

This draft? Give me Byram. It's been my mantra for several months, and I ain't changing it. I want more D in the pipeline. And we need to find a goalie-of-the-future. Filip Larsson or otherwise...

17 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

OTOH, the Wings total offense also lags across the board from the lack of quality of D men both on the point on the PP and recovering pucks and making better outlet passes.  The weakness of the Wings PP  alone is a 25 goal deficit. The goal totals for their forwards will only go up playing in front of better defensemen who can contribute more to holding down time in the defensive zone and trigger better outlets - if the Wings can  find/development/trade for them.

Then again - I don't see how they break into the top ranks without a goalie, and I don't see yet where that is going to come from.

I agree with this... bigly.

8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

No one said I or anyone advocating for a full tank would be supremely confident if we had better odds. We just want the best odds we can possibly get, period. Losing gives you that and this organization chose to stand pat and willingly watch their lottery odds falter.

Yeah... so what happens if we actually ended up with the 2nd worst record at the end of the season, but after the lottery, we ended up in the... #3 spot.

What's your response?

Thank lord Hughes that the lottery is in less than a week and this whole debate can just die. 

10 minutes ago, Shelton said:

... the lottery is in less than a week and this whole debate can just die. 

Yes.

Of course the Rangers are losing to Ottawa 3-1 midway through the 3rd.

Anaheim plays Calgary later.

Pittsburgh tomorrow may turn out to be a must-lose game.

Rangers win, Anaheim loses. A loss to Pittsburgh tomorrow and the Wings would be safe from passing Edmonton or Anaheim. Really need the Rangers to beat Columbus tomorrow, which will be tough cuz the Jackets are in a playoff fight.

If we fall below New York, Edmonton, and Anaheim I'm going to be sick. If Edmonton ended up with the #1 pick and got Hughes, that'd be even worse. ?

Sabres winning and wings losing in the third. 

Fourth place is in play. 

Wings/Sabres on Saturday for all the marbles.

Wings will finish 4th, 5th or 6th worst. A Rangers win tomorrow over Columbus or Saturday over Pittsburgh would knock out 6th worst as a possibility.

Lose for slightly better odds of winning the lottery for Hughes.

12 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Wings will finish 4th, 5th or 6th worst. A Rangers win tomorrow over Columbus or Saturday over Pittsburgh would knock out 6th worst as a possibility.

You know those Little Caesars League teams that play in-between periods, the ones with 6 and 7 year olds, can we field them for our remaining two games?

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You know those Little Caesars League teams that play in-between periods, the ones with 6 and 7 year olds, can we field them for our remaining two games?

My 12-year old niece did that at halftime of a Pistons game earlier this year, loved it, am sure her team would be available for in-game time. But to be clear -the Pistons are playing the last 4 games to win, right? So yeah, we could put skates on 'em and have been play the Wings game instead.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

My 12-year old niece did that at halftime of a Pistons game earlier this year, loved it, am sure her team would be available for in-game time. But to be clear -the Pistons are playing the last 4 games to win, right? So yeah, we could put skates on 'em and have been play the Wings game instead.

Lace em' up! Anything short of pulling a Paul Coffey to lose at this point.

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Lace em' up! Anything short of pulling a Paul Coffey to lose at this point.

Come on, you’d support a Paul Coffey and you know it. 

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Come on, you’d support a Paul Coffey and you know it. 

I actually wouldn't because there has to be some ethical boundaries and this is one of them. On top of that (and I haven't read through the entire league rule book) if league officials found out you were purposefully putting pucks in your own net to lose games I would imagine there would be a sizable penalty for doing that.