Jump to content

lordstanley

March 2019 Game Threads

Recommended Posts

The Wings need a top line Centre to contend and unless Veleno is that guy, they don't appear to have one. Larkin is a fantastic #2 Centre, but on a cup contending team, I don't believe he would put up enough points for a #1. Hughes could have been that guy, but oh well.

They also need a pair of top pairing defencemen. Maybe Dennis Cholowski ends up being one of those two guys, we shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Wings need a top line Centre to contend and unless Veleno is that guy, they don't appear to have one. Larkin is a fantastic #2 Centre, but on a cup contending team, I don't believe he would put up enough points for a #1. Hughes could have been that guy, but oh well.

They also need a pair of top pairing defencemen. Maybe Dennis Cholowski ends up being one of those two guys, we shall see.

Is the 8.5% chance at #1 they have right now really that much different than the 13.5% they could have if they were second worst in the league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Is the 8.5% chance at #1 they have right now really that much different than the 13.5% they could have if they were second worst in the league?

Yes! You want every statistical advantage you can get in the draft lottery short of pulling a David Stern and a frozen envelope for the New York Knicks type scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's highly unlikely the Wings will get Hughes, and we should plan accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i'd rather have the #1 pick and not the #7 pick, wouldnt you?

its great that the younger guys are playing well, but in the long run for the franchise, a better pick would mean more, imo.

i wish they were playing well and still losing!

What can you do - Holland pretty much made the moves that should have put them in line for a top pick. I suppose Blashill could have broken up the Larkin line, but the way those guys are developing together is not worth nothing, and you have trust issues between coach/management/players at risk as well if you tell players you are deliberately going to prevent them from playing to their potential.

I'll take the team getting better. I guess I've seen too many can't miss drafts blow up to worry about that end of it too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yes! You want every statistical advantage you can get in the draft lottery short of pulling a David Stern and a frozen envelope for the New York Knicks type scenario.

It’s obviously preferable to have higher odds. But in both cases the odds are long. 

It’s puzzling to me that you would say, “oh well” given the current situation relative to the alternative. You wouldn’t be placing your order for a Hughes jersey if they had the slightly higher odds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shelton said:

It’s obviously preferable to have higher odds. But in both cases the odds are long. 

It’s puzzling to me that you would say, “oh well” given the current situation relative to the alternative. You wouldn’t be placing your order for a Hughes jersey if they had the slightly higher odds. 

No one said I or anyone advocating for a full tank would be supremely confident if we had better odds. We just want the best odds we can possibly get, period. Losing gives you that and this organization chose to stand pat and willingly watch their lottery odds falter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Buddha said:

au contraire mon frere, tater will DEFINITELY say i told you so.

if connor cook ever throws a td pass for the lions we will never hear the end of it.

No, no, no! It's when Connor Cook throws a TD pass and has his first 100 yard game that I'll spike the football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

It's highly unlikely the Wings will get Hughes, and we should plan accordingly.

I've already planned for Alex Turcotte, Kirby Dach, Philip Broberg or some prospect of the sort. No Hughes, no Kappo either. :/

I will plan a parade down Woodward though if somehow we still end up #1 overall in the lottery and get Hughes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Wings need a top line Centre to contend and unless Veleno is that guy, they don't appear to have one. Larkin is a fantastic #2 Centre, but on a cup contending team, I don't believe he would put up enough points for a #1. 

I think Larkin is very capable of developing into a #1 center on a cup contending team.   He’s only 22 and will continue to get better.   He has the skating, hands, and play making ability to be one day be among the top 10 C in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Buddha said:

when they had the #1 pick they got a pretty good qb. 

IDK, I thought the Stafford pick is the reason they can't win a playoff game.

xD

(oops, wrong thread...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I think Larkin is very capable of developing into a #1 center on a cup contending team.   He’s only 22 and will continue to get better.   He has the skating, hands, and play making ability to be one day be among the top 10 C in the league.

I was looking back at the last 10 teams to win the Cup and who their top line Centreman were. I suppose if Milan Lucic can be the top guy on a Cup Team for Boston than Larkin is as good or better than Lucic (skill wise anyways). So I revise my statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Larkin develops into what Hughes is projected to be (which is possible given what he's done so far), that would be a added bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Kings won 2 cups with Anze Kopitar as their top center.  He was/sort of still is a very good center but never was an elite level scorer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and TBH, if you want a player to build a perennial contender around, it should be a great Dman anyway. they log more ice time - have more total impact. (Lidstrom may never be called 'the Great One', but he won as many cups as Gretzky).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

The Kings won 2 cups with Anze Kopitar as their top center.  He was/sort of still is a very good center but never was an elite level scorer. 

while they never won one with Gretzky, in fact only won their division once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the most likely result is that the Wings draft 5th or 6th instead of what had been a most likely 3rd or 4th.

Last year getting 6th pick didn't hurt them, as Zadina was a projected 3rd or 4th.

Doesn't always work out that way. But it might this year, as after the clearcut top 2 the rankings for the rest of the top 10 are all over the map.

I would have been happy to finish 3rd worst and take my chances on the lottery. I don't think the Wings have been bad enough this year to have expected finishing worst or next to worst. These last two wins really surprised me and until then the Wings were on track to finish 3rd worst.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I think the most likely result is that the Wings draft 5th or 6th instead of what had been a most likely 3rd or 4th.

Last year getting 6th pick didn't hurt them, as Zadina was a projected 3rd or 4th.

Doesn't always work out that way. But it might this year, as after the clearcut top 2 the rankings for the rest of the top 10 are all over the map.

I would have been happy to finish 3rd worst and take my chances on the lottery. I don't think the Wings have been bad enough this year to have expected finishing worst or next to worst. These last two wins really surprised me and until then the Wings were on track to finish 3rd worst.

 

Just looking at the odds now, the wings have a 1 in 4 chance of picking in the top 3. The devils have a 1 in 3 chance of picking in the top 3.

There is a decent chance the wings can move back to 4th if they lose their next two in regulation. We would need buffalo to get a point in their next game, before the big wings vs sabres game to close the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buddha said:

i'd rather have the #1 pick and not the #7 pick, wouldnt you?

its great that the younger guys are playing well, but in the long run for the franchise, a better pick would mean more, imo.

i wish they were playing well and still losing!

Saying you would prefer the first pick to the seventh pick isn't some controversial opinion or anything, everyone agrees with that.  Maybe if there wasn't a lottery I might be more upset, but what is the point?  The Wings seriously did everything they could to put themselves in a position to lose games, but their young guys are stepping up in expanded roles against good teams.  To throw a fit about that and want the team to straight up bench their NHL players is frankly embarrassing in my opinion, but everyone cheers for teams in different ways I guess.  For me, this has been fun hockey to watch and it is really encouraging to see guys like Mantha playing hard and flourishing with some found confidence.  And what has it cost?  We are talking about losing 5% of a chance at the top pick, and even now they still have a slightly better than a 1 in 4 chance to get a top 3 pick.  If the Wings lose these games, I'm not mad about it because hey potentially better draft odds, cool.  But to actively get upset about the team I root for playing well instead of enjoying fun hockey just seems crazy to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Saying you would prefer the first pick to the seventh pick isn't some controversial opinion or anything, everyone agrees with that.  Maybe if there wasn't a lottery I might be more upset, but what is the point?  The Wings seriously did everything they could to put themselves in a position to lose games, but their young guys are stepping up in expanded roles against good teams.  To throw a fit about that and want the team to straight up bench their NHL players is frankly embarrassing in my opinion, but everyone cheers for teams in different ways I guess.  For me, this has been fun hockey to watch and it is really encouraging to see guys like Mantha playing hard and flourishing with some found confidence.  And what has it cost?  We are talking about losing 5% of a chance at the top pick, and even now they still have a slightly better than a 1 in 4 chance to get a top 3 pick.  If the Wings lose these games, I'm not mad about it because hey potentially better draft odds, cool.  But to actively get upset about the team I root for playing well instead of enjoying fun hockey just seems crazy to me.

thats understandable.

i just want them to have the #1 pick.  who do i have to bribe to get that done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Buddha said:

thats understandable.

i just want them to have the #1 pick.  who do i have to bribe to get that done?

Whomever you bribed to get United that 3-1 win in the second leg a few weeks back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Whomever you bribed to get United that 3-1 win in the second leg a few weeks back

well, i got screwed on my watford bribe yesterday.  gotta find a new bag man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

well, i got screwed on my watford bribe yesterday.  gotta find a new bag man.

Well, there is your problem. United played wolves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It hasn’t really been talked about but you don’t have to win the lottery to still draft Hughes.   Depending on which team wins the lottery there may be an opportunity to trade up to the top pick.  

I assume a big ransom but I really have no idea what it would cost to move up from pick #5 or #6 to #1.  Does it take Dylan Larkin and whatever 1st round pick for the Wings to end up with for the top pick? Is that even enough?    Does the same apply to a lesser degree for the #2 spot with Kakko?   Interesting things to ponder 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...