lordstanley

March 2019 Game Threads

Winning your last 7 games to lose great draft position is something the Pistons and Lions are great at.

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Winning your last 7 games to lose great draft position is something the Pistons and Lions are great at.

Imagine if the Pistons had a chance at Zion but did what the Wings are doing now. Would any Piston fan be saying to themselves "I'm glad to see Luke Kennard developing, screw getting Zion."

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Imagine if the Pistons had a chance at Zion but did what the Wings are doing now. Would any Piston fan be saying to themselves "I'm glad to see Luke Kennard developing, screw getting Zion."

different sports.  you cant sit the entire hockey team (although the bulls have basically done that).

but i get the frustration.

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Imagine if the Pistons had a chance at Zion but did what the Wings are doing now. Would any Piston fan be dating to themselves "I'm glad to see Luke Kennard developing, screw getting Zion."

You can't tell players to loose, you can't sit healthy guys that want to play. The wings have shipped off and DL'd enough guys to make any tank oriented FO joyous but the players just aren't having any. 

Besides, it's a huge difference between hockey and basketball and in the Wings and Pistons situation. The Wings have already have a good number of prospects in the pipeline, a number of good players on the team, and no one player makes a hockey team the way one can make a basketball team. Also in Hockey a player still in his adolescent body as is Hughes is not as reliably projectable as a LeBron.

if jack hughes grows up to be patrick kane we'll all look back on this and be pissed and tater will say "i told you so."

22 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Zion is a particularly interesting choice.  It's going to be really interesting to see how his game translates in the NBA. 

24 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Zion is a particularly interesting choice.  It's going to be really interesting to see how his game translates in the NBA. 

an athlete like that will be able to play in any basketball league.  and he was developing an ok shot by the end of the year.  he's a beast.

52 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Sigh.

We are not going to lose for hughes.

The worst team hasn't always gotten that first pick..........

It's tough.  You have to love these young players playing their asses off.    Can't get mad at them for that.  

40 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if jack hughes grows up to be patrick kane we'll all look back on this and be pissed and tater will say "i told you so."

Nah

Really, this team might be a couple defencemen away from being a contender.      Not sure if they are going to need a lot more offense.  As bad as they were this season they are going to finish with 2 30 goal scorers and 2 more 20+ goal scorers and they're all young guys.   They will have cap space too.    Filip Zadina and Joey Veleno are coming soon.   Michael Rasmussen is going to be good and I still think if Svechnikov is healthy he can be good.   

They might actually be winning because Ericsson, Daley and Green aren't playing.   

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I still think if Svechnikov is healthy he can be good.   

Right there with you (there are dozens of us!).  I thought he handled space and used his body well the last time he played in Detroit, and looked like he could be a solid bottom six forward. I hope they give him a real shot to make the team and he’s healthy. He has been skating with the team already so I take that as a good sign as far as health. 

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They might actually be winning because Ericsson, Daley and Green aren't playing. 

QTF

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Really, this team might be a couple defencemen away from being a contender.      Not sure if they are going to need a lot more offense.  As bad as they were this season they are going to finish with 2 30 goal scorers and 2 more 20+ goal scorers and they're all young guys.   They will have cap space too.    Filip Zadina and Joey Veleno are coming soon.   Michael Rasmussen is going to be good and I still think if Svechnikov is healthy he can be good.   

Are you talking a contender for a playoff spot or something more?

This has been a great little run but they are still quite a few years away from being any good.   They need alot more offense.  Scoring is way up this year and while I am impressed with Larkin and AA neither are in the top 30 in goals or any of the scoring categories for that matter.  Their numbers are not star level but are fine and both are good pieces of the puzzle. Overall, the Wings are still very lacking in their top 9 offense.  I also don’t put much into Hirose quite yet as he projects much lower than he has played.   Maybe this is what he will be like but its going to take much more of this over the course of a season before I see him as more than a 3rd line potential.   I don’t see much from Rasmussen but he is still young and I could be wrong.   

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This has been a great little run but they are still quite a few years away from being any good.   They need alot more offense.  Scoring is way up this year and while I am impressed with Larkin and AA neither are in the top 30 in goals or any of the scoring categories for that matter.  Their numbers are not star level but are fine and both are good pieces of the puzzle. Overall, the Wings are still very lacking in their top 9 offense.  I also don’t put much into Hirose quite yet as he projects much lower than he has played.   Maybe this is what he will be like but its going to take much more of this over the course of a season before I see him as more than a 3rd line potential.   I don’t see much from Rasmussen but he is still young and I could be wrong.   

I think Rasmussen is going to develop a lot like Mantha has............slower than we would have liked.      

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

This has been a great little run but they are still quite a few years away from being any good.   They need alot more offense.  Scoring is way up this year and while I am impressed with Larkin and AA neither are in the top 30 in goals or any of the scoring categories for that matter.  Their numbers are not star level but are fine and both are good pieces of the puzzle. 

OTOH, the Wings total offense also lags across the board from the lack of quality of D men both on the point on the PP and recovering pucks and making better outlet passes.  The weakness of the Wings PP  alone is a 25 goal deficit. The goal totals for their forwards will only go up playing in front of better defensemen who can contribute more to holding down time in the defensive zone and trigger better outlets - if the Wings can  find/development/trade for them.

Then again - I don't see how they break into the top ranks without a goalie, and I don't see yet where that is going to come from.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Rasmussen is going to develop a lot like Mantha has............slower than we would have liked.      

Ras is only 19 years old still. Mantha was a full time NHLer at 22 I think?  I wasn’t thrilled with Radmussen’s season, but I think he showed improvement in his game and he’s still super young. 

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

The Lions between 2002-2010 had top 10 picks 8 of 9 years and top 2 picks 5 of 9 years. 

Still waiting for our playoff victory.

6 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The Lions between 2002-2010 had top 10 picks 8 of 9 years and top 2 picks 5 of 9 years. 

But this is hockey and not football!

*laughs in Edmonton Oilers*

In the past 10 games, the Wings have gained 13 points on Buffalo. This is what I think of the Sabres organization:

The Wings need 4 D, 3 F an 1 G to truly contend.

They are going to need to hit a couple lucky picks, but I think most good teams needed to as well.

7 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

OTOH, the Wings total offense also lags across the board from the lack of quality of D men both on the point on the PP and recovering pucks and making better outlet passes.  The weakness of the Wings PP  alone is a 25 goal deficit. The goal totals for their forwards will only go up playing in front of better defensemen who can contribute more to holding down time in the defensive zone and trigger better outlets - if the Wings can  find/development/trade for them.

Then again - I don't see how they break into the top ranks without a goalie, and I don't see yet where that is going to come from.

This is true.   I think Larkin has elite level talent and if he had the same opportunity as say a Brayden Point or Jake Guentzel, I bet he had have put up even better numbers than both did in their impressive seasons this year.    

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

when they had the #1 pick they got a pretty good qb.  when they had the #2 pick they got a hall of fame wr.  when they had the #3 pick they got the best defensive tackle in the league.

when they picked below that.....they didnt.

but lets all agree the lions are a special level of futility.

6 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

But this is hockey and not football!

*laughs in Edmonton Oilers*

i'd rather have the #1 pick and not the #7 pick, wouldnt you?

its great that the younger guys are playing well, but in the long run for the franchise, a better pick would mean more, imo.

i wish they were playing well and still losing!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

Nah

au contraire mon frere, tater will DEFINITELY say i told you so.

if connor cook ever throws a td pass for the lions we will never hear the end of it.