lordstanley

March 2019 Game Threads

Thanks for the Cole call out.  I will be sure to tune in.

It is tree to tree in the tird period.  Dee-troy-it needs to step it up now, that is for sure.

Blashill officially signs a 2 year extension.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am not so sure Steve Yzerman is coming to the Wings..............at least not next year. 

Maybe not, but I don't think extending the current coach for a couple of years changes anything.  He can still be fired. He's status quo and chances are a new GM gets the lay of the land for a year before deciding on a new coach anyways. Extending a coach for one year only typically isn't often done, for fear of making him appear to be a lame duck. Now, if the Wings had made a big splash by signing a high-profile coach like Quenneville, THAT to me would have been a sign that Yzerman isn't coming.

3. Edmonton’s interview list for the GM position is around 10 to 13 names long. As Mark Spector reported last week, you should add Pat Verbeek’s name to whatever roster you’ve put together. My suspicion is he was recommended by Steve Yzerman. His candidacy could be affected by Yzerman’s own decision, since he might want Verbeek with him should he go to Detroit.

The expectation is Bob Nicholson begins his quest as soon as this week. There are a lot of different ways this can go, from the number of candidates to the eventual structure.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-nhl-backed-womens-league-obvious-solution/

Mike Valenti's opening topic on 97.1 today . . . "What the **** are the Red Wings doing winning for no reason?"

He called it a draft lottery boondoggle. LOVE IT and 100% agree with his take!

Hicketts is called up for DDK.  Glendening and Nielsen confirmed out for the year, Vanek looking that way too. 

Wings sell at the deadline, play undrafted college players, play AHL players, shut down their veterans as soon as they are injured, but the young guys are playing hard and they're getting wins against playoff teams.  Not sure how you can be angry and fault the Wings for any of this, but I'm just enjoying fun hockey I guess.

I'm guessing Larkin will see a lot of Crosby with Glendening out, should be interesting to watch.

31 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Mike Valenti's opening topic on 97.1 today . . . "What the **** are the Red Wings doing winning for no reason?"

He called it a draft lottery boondoggle. LOVE IT and 100% agree with his take!

Sounds like you need to bring in Jeff Gilooly. He does know his way around the corridors of Detroit arenas and will try to deliver results he wants to go his way.

article-2420835-1BD2FE1F000005DC-925_634

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Sounds like you need to bring in Jeff Gilooly. He does know his way around the corridors of Detroit arenas and will try to deliver results he wants to go his way.

article-2420835-1BD2FE1F000005DC-925_634

Every time they win I scream . . .

FaroffUnacceptableBorzoi-size_restricted

So I heard Valenti, and his argument is the Wings should have shut down Larkin, Mantha and AA 10 games ago.

Of course, at that point in time, the Wings had only won 5 of their previous 20 or something, but they should have known they would go on a 7-1 tear after bringing up minor leaguers and undrafted college seniors.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

So I heard Valenti, and his argument is the Wings should have shut down Larkin, Mantha and AA 10 games ago.

Of course, at that point in time, the Wings had only won 5 of their previous 20 or something, but they should have known they would go on a 7-1 tear after bringing up minor leaguers and undrafted college seniors.

...yikes

It's not that the organization should have foresaw the winning streak coming. It's once you are 2-3-4 games into it, if you wanted Jack Hughes, then you should have shut certain players down and iced the worst roster possible to prevent the streak from continuing. Valenti mentioned shutting down both Howard and Bernier which I completely agree with.

And the Wings are fielding a worse roster than they were 10 games ago.

But, hey, they got hot so don't let that get in the way of a narrative.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It's not that the organization should have foresaw the winning streak coming. It's once you are 2-3-4 games into it, if you wanted Jack Hughes, then you should have shut certain players down and iced the worst roster possible to prevent the streak from continuing. Valenti mentioned shutting down both Howard and Bernier which I completely agree with.

What a bunch of brainless idiocy...

• Like 1

took 4 camera angles, but that is a goal!

Of course Mickey's point stands - given the way these teams generally play in the 2nd, Pittsburgh may put up 4.

I should have also pointed out that Valenti suggested there isn't any development or evaluation you get out of the last 10 games that you didn't get out of the first 72.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I should have also pointed out that Valenti suggested there isn't any development or evaluation you get out of the last 10 games that you didn't get out of the first 72.

This sounds like a comedy sketch ?

Larkin and Auston Matthews both have 72 points this season. Larkin playing his 74th game tonight, Matthew's his 66th.

Mantha has such great body  leverage on his skates when he uses it. Another pretty goal by he and Larkin.

Bertuzzi with an assist on a Mantha empty netter. 1st Wing in history with 4 consecutive 3 point games. The Wings fart in the general direction of their draft position.