Jump to content

thefunk

The OG MTS Prediction Thread

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

This thread sucks, but I did meet an Odessa woman, which is nice.

9DB8A6A6-C718-414F-AF21-0DE6CD44D4CF.png

I guess the Beatles were right when they sang about Soviet girls in, “Back in the USSR.”  I remember snickering when the song came out because I was brainwashed by the American media into thinking that all Soviet women were fat babushkas in combat boots. The Beatles, however, were rich well-traveled men and they knew what they were talking about.  Also, the ratios are much better in Ukraine than in Jan and Dean’s song from the 60s, “Surf City,” that lauds a beach because it has “two girls for every boy.”  I’m not good at math, but I think six is at least twice as much as two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are those girls from a place called Odessa, or are they from Odessa the post-war organization that helped war criminals get to Argentina?  I hope it's not the latter, they would all be in their 90's by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I don’t want to go out on a limb here, but I think it could possibly be the fact without a lot of ifs ands or buts — not that there’s anything wrong with those sorts of qualifications —  that this team could possibly (at least for a while) perhaps — and I leave it up to you how the definition of “perhaps“ plays out in this situation — be better than we think (although a variety of contingencies could intervene positively or negatively to alter these projections).  And I am willing to stand by this prediction — depending of course on how you define “stand by“ in this particular situation —and expect the Tigers to either win fewer games than last year or more games than last year or end with the same exact record as last year (if, that is, all 162 games are played).

I think that I kind of agree on some of this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Are those girls from a place called Odessa, or are they from Odessa the post-war organization that helped war criminals get to Argentina?  I hope it's not the latter, they would all be in their 90's by now.

It’s worse than that.  Five years ago a reporter went on one of these dating tours and wrote about it. Men spend thousands of dollars chatting online with women and then thousands of dollars to go to Odessa to meet them and nothing good happens. Some of the men are just bags of garbage looking for a sex slave for their trailer in North Dakota. But a lot of them are also just vulnerable lonely men.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/06/ukraine-wife-internet-romance-industry-online-scam

But it’s more nuanced than it appears. This link below is to a 73-page academic treatise on it as a unique form of feminist backlash against the re-domestication of women in post-soviet society.  The author contends that post-Soviet governmentality has reassigned Ukrainian women to a more domestic role than was common in Soviet society. The resulting precarity these women experience with the loss of Soviet social-safety nets fuses with their distaste for re-domestication into a backlash that results in their participation in online dating scams. 

https://dspace.lib.uom.gr/bitstream/2159/18868/6/EkonomidisRomanMsc2015.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Are those girls from a place called Odessa, or are they from Odessa the post-war organization that helped war criminals get to Argentina?  I hope it's not the latter, they would all be in their 90's by now.

If they're from Odessa, Texas, that would be a shorter trip, plus many of the girls there speak a variant of English and are less radioactive than their  counterparts from Eastern Europe. In other respects, though, it is pretty much as regrettable a place as its namesake in the Ukraine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Seven Odessa Girls for everyone 

 

Just seven? 

Jim+Adduci+Chicago+Cubs+Photo+Day+uVVSqh

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Just seven? 

Jim+Adduci+Chicago+Cubs+Photo+Day+uVVSqh

It's sad to see your playoff hopes wearing a different team's uniform.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I'm trying to line up some O'Dessa girls for St. Patrick's Day.

Liston!

That is 100% pure Colombian Liston, right there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I'm trying to line up some O'Dessa girls for St. Patrick's Day.

Oh, Danny boy, Odessa girls are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side.
The summer's gone, and all the roses falling,
Oleksandra here, she wants to be your bride. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 8:54 AM, IdahoBert said:

It’s worse than that.  Five years ago a reporter went on one of these dating tours and wrote about it. Men spend thousands of dollars chatting online with women and then thousands of dollars to go to Odessa to meet them and nothing good happens. Some of the men are just bags of garbage looking for a sex slave for their trailer in North Dakota. But a lot of them are also just vulnerable lonely men.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/06/ukraine-wife-internet-romance-industry-online-scam

But it’s more nuanced than it appears. This link below is to a 73-page academic treatise on it as a unique form of feminist backlash against the re-domestication of women in post-soviet society.  The author contends that post-Soviet governmentality has reassigned Ukrainian women to a more domestic role than was common in Soviet society. The resulting precarity these women experience with the loss of Soviet social-safety nets fuses with their distaste for re-domestication into a backlash that results in their participation in online dating scams. 

https://dspace.lib.uom.gr/bitstream/2159/18868/6/EkonomidisRomanMsc2015.pdf

Baseball seriously needs to hurry up. Bert is about to burn this mother down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.  The Cleveland Native Americans   96-66

2.  The Minnesota Twins  84-78

3.  The Chicago White Sox   74-88

4.  The Kansas City Roayls  63-99

5. The Detroit Tigers   59-103

 

The only major prospects we see this year are  Jake Rogers and Daz Cameron

Fulmer starts 12 games all season

Tyson Ross starts 8

16 different pitchers start games for the Tigers in 2019

Nick is traded to Washington

Rod Allen and Mario Impemba run into each other at an airport, a knife fight ensues, it is declared a tie.

Michigan has a 7.2 earthquake in late July,  Whitmer suggests a 85 cent a gallon tax hike to fix the damn fissures 

Trump resigns, Pence selects Ben Carson as his VP, the Dems vote no and the VP office remains vacant and Nancy Pelosi gives Pence a poison cannoli (which is only poisoned on the inside in case he asks her to take a bite)....there will be other people in the room, of course.   

Houston wins the World Series over the Dodgers who hire former Bills QB Jim Kelly as a consultant.  

Off season starts.  Players whine about free agency.  

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one wild *** random prediction.  Jose Cisnero will start in Toledo’s bullpen, get called up in May and be a mainstay in the Tigers bullpen by the end of the year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indians 94-68

Twins  84-78

White Sox 75-87

Tigers  "Better than you think"

Royals  60-102

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 6:08 PM, IdahoBert said:

I don’t want to go out on a limb here, but I think it could possibly be the fact without a lot of ifs ands or buts — not that there’s anything wrong with those sorts of qualifications —  that this team could possibly (at least for a while) perhaps — and I leave it up to you how the definition of “perhaps“ plays out in this situation — be better than we think (although a variety of contingencies could intervene positively or negatively to alter these projections).  And I am willing to stand by this prediction — depending of course on how you define “stand by“ in this particular situation —and expect the Tigers to either win fewer games than last year or more games than last year or end with the same exact record as last year (if, that is, all 162 games are played).

I believe this team will struggle to win 63 games. I also think any Tiger player that any team shows interest in will be traded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 9:19 PM, IdahoBert said:

Oh, Danny boy, Odessa girls are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side.
The summer's gone, and all the roses falling,
Oleksandra here, she wants to be your bride. 

If I'm looking for a committed long-term relationship I am definitely seeking out an Odessa girl.  For relationships of a somewhat shorter duration I might follow the example of **** *** Bob, the Patriots owner.  Edit - BJ Bob I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LeeCorrie said:

Just one wild *** random prediction.  Jose Cisnero will start in Toledo’s bullpen, get called up in May and be a mainstay in the Tigers bullpen by the end of the year...

Not bad if he is really throwing 97 98 consistently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 1:40 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

1.  The Cleveland Native Americans   96-66

2.  The Minnesota Twins  84-78

3.  The Chicago White Sox   74-88

4.  The Kansas City Roayls  63-99

5. The Detroit Tigers   59-103

 

The only major prospects we see this year are  Jake Rogers and Daz Cameron

Fulmer starts 12 games all season

Tyson Ross starts 8

16 different pitchers start games for the Tigers in 2019

Nick is traded to Washington

Rod Allen and Mario Impemba run into each other at an airport, a knife fight ensues, it is declared a tie.

Michigan has a 7.2 earthquake in late July,  Whitmer suggests a 85 cent a gallon tax hike to fix the damn fissures 

Trump resigns, Pence selects Ben Carson as his VP, the Dems vote no and the VP office remains vacant and Nancy Pelosi gives Pence a poison cannoli (which is only poisoned on the inside in case he asks her to take a bite)....there will be other people in the room, of course.   

Houston wins the World Series over the Dodgers who hire former Bills QB Jim Kelly as a consultant.  

Off season starts.  Players whine about free agency.  

 

 

 

 

 

But a glorious 59 it will be.  It will make you appreciate the wins more because there will be so few of them!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Not bad if he is really throwing 97 98 consistently 

I just saw that McCosky (or an ill-informed copy editor) misspelled his name 6 times in the article below as "Cisneros". Even though the photo caption had his name spelled correctly. Sloppy.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/03/21/power-up-detroit-tigers-have-added-some-muscle-bullpen-mix/3233503002/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I just saw that McCosky (or an ill-informed copy editor) misspelled his name 6 times in the article below as "Cisneros". Even though the photo caption had his name spelled correctly. Sloppy.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/03/21/power-up-detroit-tigers-have-added-some-muscle-bullpen-mix/3233503002/

There is also this gem:

Cisneros could be in the same position. The Tigers will likely have to decide between Farmer, Alcantara and Cisneros for the eighth spot in the rotation.”

I gotta say, I didn’t expect those three to be in play for the rotation, or that we would use an 8-man rotation, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to innovate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I gotta say, I didn’t expect those three to be in play for the rotation, or that we would use an 8-man rotation, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to innovate. 

And people say we're behind the times - we're cutting edge baby!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,587
    • Total Posts
      2,903,001
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...