Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Ted Lindsay passes away at 93

There was a film about the beginning of players' rights called Net Worth.  This is really about Ted and how important he was to the game of hockey, beyond playing.   Ted was a GREAT man and one of the most important to ever lace 'em up.  

RIP to the last member of the Production Line. If ever someone had a "hockey face" battered and bruised it was Lindsay. I didn't know this until Doug & Scott brought it up on 97.1 today, but Lindsay started the tradition of carrying the Cup around the ice after a team won it. I just assumed it was always skated around the ice, but indeed it was not and was started by Ted.

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The first man to actually lift the Stanley Cup over his head on the ice, giving us one of the most iconic traditions in all of sport and a great man and great Red Wing.  

Rest In Peace, Terrible Ted. 

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/video/nhl100-ted-lindsay/c-47881003

Skating with the Cup is one of the coolest things in sports. 

I met Ted Lindsay at a Red Wings game, and saw him play in some Red Wings Alumni Games.  Skated and played very well for a man his age.  (That is a hockey thing, as I've seen a lot of genuinely old Red Wings look great on the ice, as opposed to what I've seen in baseball Old-Timers Games, in which very few of the older guys were in any kind of shape or could play a non-embarrassing version of the game.  Bob Feller was a notable exception.)

Ave atque vale, Ted Lindsay. 

Mr. Lindsay was always absolute class. The guy had stories that you could listen to for hours. If you ever met him, you swore somebody tore his face off with a really dull knife and an unskilled military medic had stitched it back on- and in fact, that's kind of what happened. I've heard reports of him taking over 600 stitches over the years (mostly to the face). He was just a phenomenal competitor and even more importantly, an incredible force for good off the ice with his foundation and his general kindness to the fans. I've said this often over the last few years with some of the giants we've lost, but they don't make them like Ted anymore. If you had the pleasure to meet the guys from the original six era- Lindsay, Howe, Beliveau, Bower, Mikita and many others- the thing that stands out with all of them is pure class and an incredible respect for the fans and the game. They were some of the nicest, down to earth people you'd ever meet, and yet at the same time, they were absolute giants and legends of their game. That's an era of the game- and the kindness demonstrated by many of its players- that we won't get back. But hopefully the players that had the good fortune of hanging out with Ted Lindsay had a little bit of him rub off on them. They darn sure will be better people if they did. 

And let's face it, Ted had the most bad-***, legible signature of any player walking the planet. They just don't sign them like he did anymore, either. 

RIP #7.

Image result for ted lindsay signature

On 3/4/2019 at 8:18 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

There was a film about the beginning of players' rights called Net Worth.  This is really about Ted and how important he was to the game of hockey, beyond playing.   Ted was a GREAT man and one of the most important to ever lace 'em up.  

This was a terrific movie. It was based on a book by the same name. The book has been out of print for many years. It's almost impossible to find. 

On 3/5/2019 at 1:23 AM, lordstanley said:

LOLeafs

lindsay knocks leafs.jpg

Something I was unaware of is Ted snubbed Conn Smythe to sign with Detroit, something Conn resented for years.

I went down to Founders at lunch to pick up my KBS and had every intention of driving by LCA to do that too and forgot... dammit.