Jump to content

Keepleyland2

2/22 @ 1:05 p.m. Southeastern Fire vs Detroit Tigers

Recommended Posts

Fire vs Tigers

Spring Training Game 1

Let's remember some guys!

Image result for bots nekola

Bots Nekola

Years with Detroit: 1933

Tigers highlights: Appeared in 1.1 innings. 

You may remember him from: The 1929 Yankees, being the Red Sox scout that signed Carl Yastrzemski.

Baseball Reference Link and Stats:

Bots.jpg

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tigers expected to pitch include: Spencer Turnbull, Kyle Funkhouser, Casey Mize

MLB.TV lists an SEU broadcast, no radio

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So as I was thinking about the team and game threads this year, it dawned on me when we look back on this group in 20 years its gonna be a bunch of who-who's and he played-here-guys. So in honor of the 2019 Tigers each game thread will feature a member of the Forgotten Tigers. None of the players featured will have played more than 2 years for the Tigers or 250 games. That means some well known guys that played part of three years at 20 then went on to stardom, didn't make the cut. Neither did those guys that played in every game for two years. 

Some are well known, there are even two or three all-stars in the bunch. Others are our version of Moonlight Graham. 

So let's have some fun in 2019, let's remember some guys and Let's Go Tigers!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

So as I was thinking about the team and game threads this year, it dawned on me when we look back on this group in 20 years its gonna be a bunch of who-who's and he played-here-guys. So in honor of the 2019 Tigers each game thread will feature a member of the Forgotten Tigers. None of the players featured will have played more than 2 years for the Tigers or 250 games. That means some well known guys that played part of three years at 20 then went on to stardom, didn't make the cut. Neither did those guys that played in every game for two years. 

Some are well known, there are even two or three all-stars in the bunch. Others are our version of Moonlight Graham. 

So let's have some fun in 2019, let's remember some guys and Let's Go Tigers!

Great idea. I’m about nostalgia and yesteryear so go for it. The history of the Tigers is the reason I pull for them today.

For the record, Moonlight Graham played college baseball at the University of North Carolina.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I think one of my favorite, pre-84 guys meets that criteria—CF Ricky Peters

I'm not sure he made the cut. But, then again I spent last saturday basically going through every roster for 100 years and found like 200 guys that made the cut. Though I can add him in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the idea of forgotten Tigers in game threads.  Ricky Peters!  See, this is something that wouldn't work in a Pistons game thread (I know I'll be told I am wrong).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we are on the topic, this fella better make the cut:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beckeri01.shtml

ironically, the Oakland team that would soon embrace obp was the one that released Mr Becker. The tigers quickly scooped him up, and all he did was walk his way to a 383 obp for the tigers over a sizeable number of plate appearances. He was 28 that season, and never played in the majors again. The following season was spent in AAA for Detroit and Florida, where he had a 373 obp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shelton said:

While we are on the topic, this fella better make the cut:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beckeri01.shtml

ironically, the Oakland team that would soon embrace obp was the one that released Mr Becker. The tigers quickly scooped him up, and all he did was walk his way to a 383 obp for the tigers over a sizeable number of plate appearances. He was 28 that season, and never played in the majors again. The following season was spent in AAA for Detroit and Florida, where he had a 373 obp. 

I can tell you he was looked at. Whether he made the cut I dunno. I literally have a giant spreadsheet with 200 and some odd names with the link to each baseball reference page for each game. But, I can go back and wedge him in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Keepleyland2 said:

I can tell you he was looked at. Whether he made the cut I dunno. I literally have a giant spreadsheet with 200 and some odd names with the link to each baseball reference page for each game. But, I can go back and wedge him in. 

I just find him to be such an interesting case. How does a 28 year old with an obp of 380 never sniff the majors again? A center fielder with a 380 obp!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WHEN RICHIE BECKER PLAYS THE TIGERS WIN HES GOT INTANGIBLES NOBODY UNDERSTANDS THAT!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I just find him to be such an interesting case. How does a 28 year old with an obp of 380 never sniff the majors again? A center fielder with a 380 obp!

OBP was useless in 2000. Look at them counting numbers! 

7 dingers, 34 RBI. He clearly sucked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

WHEN RICHIE BECKER PLAYS THE TIGERS WIN HES GOT INTANGIBLES NOBODY UNDERSTANDS THAT!!!

21 friggin dollars!

To compare an Al Kaline autographed ball is $120. Rich Becker is 1/6th as valuable as a Hall of Famer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

For your consideration...he did have a very good rookie season and then was exposed, apparently.

FYI played three seasons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Fun fact, moments after hitting post I went to a police standoff. Let's not make that a trend this year. 

So that's where the story ends?  You aren't going to explain the standoff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Casimir said:

So that's where the story ends?  You aren't going to explain the standoff?

Some nuts guy, 50 cop cars. Quiet nieghborhood. Ended peacefully. The end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...