LooseGoose

2019 Spring Training Thread

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Why do players like Miggy over dramatize things like this?  There are probably more people happy with the Harper signing than not.  But apparently negativity and criticism are what Miggy likes to focus upon.  The impression I get is that Miggy cares more about the money than he does about winning.  

That’s not how I read it. Seemed to me like nightenhack had a story written in his mind and went fishing for quotes that would fit his hack narrative. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

That’s not how I read it. Seemed to me like nightenhack had a story written in his mind and went fishing for quotes that would fit his hack narrative. 

Yes .. it could be that.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

There is probably a little transference likely in Cabrera's comments. He might not have heard all that much explicit criticism of Harper or Machado's contract, but I'm sure he has heard a enough carping about his own.

16 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

There is probably a little transference likely in Cabrera's comments. He might not have heard all that much explicit criticism of Harper or Machado's contract, but I'm sure he has heard a enough carping about his own.

People read this site.

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Maybe. I don’t know. Cabrera doesn’t strike me as the type to be reading online comments or listening to talk radio. And honestly, I don’t feel like there has even been that much criticism of the Cabrera contract lately. To me, this screams of a situation where nightingale was making his rounds to the various spring training sites and approached Cabrera with “what do you say to people who criticize your contract after a down season or the recent contracts given to Harper and machado” or something like that. 

here is an tidbit from Fenech's chat this morning:

Gardenhire is a very good manager. The Tigers would have been well-served to make this move years ago when they were wasting $200 million payrolls with no direction.

Mize is in the minor-league camp now and will probably start the season in Lakeland because they don’t want to expose his arm to the raw weather in Erie. 

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

Mize is in the minor-league camp now and will probably start the season in Lakeland because they don’t want to expose his arm to the raw weather in Erie. 

There's still polar bears running around Toledo, so probably too cold to send him to pitch there.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

It's the smart thing to do.

Taylor Motter has been signed.  Isn't this kind of over kill?  How much grit does one team need?  

8f505c98-1559-410e-a225-4ca8e376eee6-TM.

17 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Taylor Motter has been signed.  Isn't this kind of over kill?  How much grit does one team need?  

Does he still have that Biggsworthy mullet?

On 3/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, thefunk said:

Posts like this should not escape judgement. You have no basis for what you’ve supposed, you’re just being doom and gloomy. You’ve done nothing but put the most negative spin on something is obvious.

fulmer will either be bad or will rebound. That’s it. Doesn’t mean we will be “bad for the foreseeable future”, just that he may be one that doesn’t pan out.

or he will! We know nothing.

you will not stop my runaway rainbow train of positivity this Spring training. Choo-Choo, mother fu*********

I'm trying to figure this one out ... are there a whole bunch of r's in that word?

57 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Maybe they're hoping he can repeat his .267/.353/.467 performance across 17 plate appearances in Seattle.

Or perhaps they're taking a flyer on whatever ability he has to pitch so he can be a valueless two-way player. It's all the rage.

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm trying to figure this one out ... are there a whole bunch of r's in that word?

I've thought about consulting a dictionary to find what if any eleven-letter words start with fu, but I haven't gotten around to it.

P.S.  Okay, with the help of Webster's, and if one of the stand-in symbols is a hyphen, I've got:

functionary ;

fundamental ;

furnishings ; and

fuddy-duddy.

Mother functionary sounds like the funniest one, because of the k sound. Let's go with that.

41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe they're hoping he can repeat his .267/.353/.467 performance across 17 plate appearances in Seattle.

Or perhaps they're taking a flyer on whatever ability he has to pitch so he can be a valueless two-way player. It's all the rage.

So are the Lions going to be barely using Teez Tabor on offense, too?

I must have had Motter confused with somebody else cause when I heard about the signing I was surprised he was available cause I thought he was good.  I'm thinking I had him confused with Kepler for some reason. 

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Mother functionary sounds like the funniest one, because of the k sound. Let's go with that.

Funktionary

So, MLB is letting a gambling organization call the shots now?  How hypocritical is that?  Gambling has been absolutely forbidden by MLB for years for good reason.  Now that they can make money off of it, it's apparently OK.  

5 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Funktionary

Did you look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls?

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

So, MLB is letting a gambling organization call the shots now?  How hypocritical is that?  Gambling has been absolutely forbidden by MLB for years for good reason.  Now that they can make money off of it, it's apparently OK.  

That just doesn't seem right.   Let the books take their chances on who is playing just as their customers do.