LooseGoose

2019 Spring Training Thread

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It’s spring training for everyone. For mccosky, he will be in spring training forever. Just read this gem of a sentence:

In 15 starts there in 2017, he posted a 4.72 ERA and 1.47 WHIP in 15 starts.”

How many games did he start?

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t fault pitchers for not wanting to look at the rapsodo data or whatever. Let the analysts look at it and make some suggestions to the coaching staff. 

I don't know about fault. I imagine the response of pitchers to all the data probably depends on a lot things. one of which might be what kind of command they have. For guys who have command or confidence in their command, trying to move their finger or release point a little, looking at the spin results and deciding what to try next is probably an unalloyed benefit. For guys who struggle on every pitch to throw strikes, I might guess the last thing they ever want to do is start tweaking their grip or delivery to make the machine happier. Probably other factor split along the same lines as well.

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Fulmer was between 89-91 today so maybe he donated some velocity to Faedo. 

I don't think it is going out on a limb to predict that it's no slam dunk that there is a way for Fulmer to throw the ball as hard while putting less strain on his knee. We can hope a good kinesiologist can get him close, but I would expect he's going to lose a couple MPH if he wants to protect that knee. Just have to see how he compensates.

19 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It’s spring training for everyone. For mccosky, he will be in spring training forever. Just read this gem of a sentence:

He knows some of his readers need to read information twice for it to sink in.   

Most significant news of ST so far - Alex Faedo hits 94. He and Norris were probably lasts year's biggest pitching disappointments. Norris' issue are more complex, but for Faedo it was pretty simple, he had to find the fastball that never came back from the extended vacation the Tigers gave him at the end of 2017.

For either of them to put themselves back into serious running to help this team will be like playing with house money. 

They were literally just on the other team's broadcast the other day.  Or you mean FSD?  I have no idea.

Braves just reported over $400M in rev and over $90M in profits, as they cut payroll by $4M from 2018 to 2019.

#StrikeIsComing

11 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Braves just reported over $400M in rev and over $90M in profits, as they cut payroll by $4M from 2018 to 2019.

#StrikeIsComing

TBF, put the numbers in scale. Current estimate of the Braves franchise value is 1.5 billion. 90M in profit from a 1.5 billion dollar investment is a 6% return on investment. Nothing to write home about.

Granted we don't expect sports owners to be in it as a pure investment, but it's not like the Braves are vacuuming money out of their team ownership.

18 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

He knows some of his readers need to read information twice for it to sink in.   

If he would have managed to sneak in the ERA again right after the WHIP,  there would have been a beautiful mirror image. 

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

TBF, put the numbers in scale. Current estimate of the Braves franchise value is 1.5 billion. 90M in profit from a 1.5 billion dollar investment is a 6% return on investment. Nothing to write home about.

Granted we don't expect sports owners to be in it as a pure investment, but it's not like the Braves are vacuuming money out of their team ownership.

Not sure how current value is relevant to ROI.

Liberty did not invest 1.5B to acquire the Braves.

Chris I did not invest 1.2B to acquire the Tigers.

If anything, the current value reflects a 2nd income source as owners can sell, and cash out the equity in the team

27 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Not sure how current value is relevant to ROI.

Liberty did not invest 1.5B to acquire the Braves.

Chris I did not invest 1.2B to acquire the Tigers.

If anything, the current value reflects a 2nd income source as owners can sell, and cash out the equity in the team

It is completely relevant because in a free market that is the amount of money he could take out of the team and invest  somewhere else if returns was the only reason he owned a baseball team. Capital appreciation is the stronger part of your counterargument and I would not disagree that the general problem of US investment being too driven by capital appreciation as compared to revenue return is a far broader issue distorting the economy than in just baseball, but that is a discussion for a different place.

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 6:16 PM, tiger337 said:

How many games did he start?

I'm not here to talk about the math.  Because math class is hard.

“A big part of my job is to make sure our ball club has the resources it needs to successfully execute our plan,” he said. “First and foremost, we are laser-focused on building up our young core, and we have invested heavily on analytics, in scouting and player development. And we are starting to see that pay dividends at every level of the organization. And as we feel we’ve assembled that young core, we will continue to bring the resources we need into the ball club and the organization to successfully execute our plan.”

He said it was “almost impossible” to specifically answer questions about how much will he spend and when the spending will start.

“The best way to answer that question is by telling you and our fans that we’re going to do exactly what we continue to do," he said. "We’re going to bring the resources to our ball club that we need to successfully compete and accomplish the goals we set for our self.

“Which is not only to be a playoff team, but we want to be a championship club. I will leave it at that. That speaks to the commitment we have to bringing a winner to Detroit.”

Hackosky on Ilitch

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 6:11 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Fulmer was between 89-91 today so maybe he donated some velocity to Faedo. 

Not long ago Fulmer was supposedly either the cornerstone for the building of the Tigers' next championship team, or by far their most valuable trade piece.  Now it appears that he may be developing into either a nondescript pitcher for a Tigers'  team that will be bad for the foreseeable future or something that we can exchange for a career minor-league utility infielder.

5 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Not long ago Fulmer was supposedly either the cornerstone for the building of the Tigers' next championship team, or by far their most valuable trade piece.  Now it appears that he may be developing into either a nondescript pitcher for a Tigers'  team that will be bad for the foreseeable future or something that we can exchange for a career minor-league utility infielder.

Fulmer is the guy who I think has the most to gain from the Rapsodo et al equipment because of all the guys on the staff his fastball could most benefit from him learning to spin it better. That could make up some for the probable loss of his top end from changing his delivery to protect the knee. We'll see soon enough.

4 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Posts like this should not escape judgement. You have no basis for what you’ve supposed, you’re just being doom and gloomy. You’ve done nothing but put the most negative spin on something is obvious.

fulmer will either be bad or will rebound. That’s it. Doesn’t mean we will be “bad for the foreseeable future”, just that he may be one that doesn’t pan out.

or he will! We know nothing.

you will not stop my runaway rainbow train of positivity this Spring training. Choo-Choo, mother fu*********. 

On 2/27/2019 at 6:11 PM, Shelton said:

Are you sure he's not using some sort of rhetorical device like zeugma or hysteron proteron?

“I don’t know why people get mad at us,’’ Cabrera tells USA TODAY Sports. “They don’t like it when we get money. Why weren’t people mad the first five years when I wasn’t getting paid?

“People can say I’m not worth this contract. They can say whatever they want, really. But they’re not going to hurt my feelings.

“I’m not going to apologize. Why should anyone be sorry? I don’t see any teams losing money. They all have it.’’

Cabrera can’t fathom why there’s so much ridicule and scorn over the record-setting contracts paid to three of the greatest young stars of the game in Bryce Harper of Philadelphia (13 years, $330 million), Manny Machado of San Diego (10 years, $300 million) and Nolan Arenado of Colorado (eight-years, $260 million).

These players don’t deserve it? They’d rather watch their favorite teams lose 100 games a year while touting their farm system?

“I don’t get it, it’s crazy,’’ Cabrera said. “These are great players. They are franchise players. You look at Harper and Manny. They’re already great players, and they’re not even in their prime yet. They’re still learning. We’ve got to open our eyes because they’re going to do some unbelievable things.’’

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/03/05/miguel-cabrera-tigers-big-contract-not-sorry/3065272002/

Why do players like Miggy over dramatize things like this?  There are probably more people happy with the Harper signing than not.  But apparently negativity and criticism are what Miggy likes to focus upon.  The impression I get is that Miggy cares more about the money than he does about winning.