LooseGoose

2019 Spring Training Thread

To clarify, my comment was meant more to say there isn't a pitcher whisperer out there that a team can be reasonably certain can coax velocity back into a given pitcher.

Coaches delivering that sort of result at the MLB level is a case by case basis and my sense of it is that it is somewhat rare.  I presume many pitchers have their own guys they consult / work with in the off season as well, but that is a guess on my part.

50 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

To clarify, my comment was meant more to say there isn't a pitcher whisperer out there that a team can be reasonably certain can coax velocity back into a given pitcher.

Coaches delivering that sort of result at the MLB level is a case by case basis and my sense of it is that it is somewhat rare.  I presume many pitchers have their own guys they consult / work with in the off season as well, but that is a guess on my part.

Agreed. I was just added that even if there were, you don't necessarily know if the end result will be better or worse. Discussion of velocity gets confusing because there are things which are true but can appear superficially contradictory. What I mean for example is that while it isn't true that Pitcher A will be better than Pitcher B if he throws 3 mph harder, it is almost always true that if Pitcher A loses 3 mph from whatever he used to do he is going to be less effective unless he can make (often major) compensatory changes. So velocity always matters, except when it doesn't...xD

Why doesn't the coaching staff just tell Norris to throw harder strikes?

6 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Why doesn't the coaching staff just tell Norris to throw harder strikes?

That’s not a bad idea, actually. They should ask tram to go talk to him. 

Just now, Shelton said:

That’s not a bad idea, actually. They should ask tram to go talk to him. 

I don't know.  Seems like something that should come from a former pitcher or catcher.

Just now, Casimir said:

I don't know.  Seems like something that should come from a former pitcher or catcher.

You would think, but tram always talked about how he would tell the pitchers not to give up runs after the offense had scored back when he was the manager. The problem of course was that they simply didn’t listen to him. But now that he’s in the hall of fame it will be different. 

Just now, Shelton said:

You would think, but tram always talked about how he would tell the pitchers not to give up runs after the offense had scored back when he was the manager. The problem of course was that they simply didn’t listen to him. But now that he’s in the hall of fame it will be different. 

My question is why did he only tell them to not give up runs after the offense had scored?  Why didn't he just tell them to not give up runs ever?

Just now, Casimir said:

My question is why did he only tell them to not give up runs after the offense had scored?  Why didn't he just tell them to not give up runs ever?

You would have to ask tram. This was really important to him, so he must have had his reasons. 

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

And given the state of the offense at the time, he can't have been talking to pitchers much.

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

Those shut down innings are so important.  If you give up runs after your own team has scored, it shows you don't care.  

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Those shut down innings are so important.  If you give up runs after your own team has scored, it shows you don't care.  

Yes it shows weakness.

14 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

And given the state of the offense at the time, he can't have been talking to pitchers much.

There's a great point.

Watching this made me think that any of my friends that saw it must have been reminded of me in my Little/Pony League days.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:19 AM, LooseGoose said:

Bump for Warning Track Power so he has a place to post.

Thanks, Goose. I am so ready for the season to get here. Baseball, even bad baseball is better than no baseball! I am eager to see some of the young guys step up a little. I remember how bad it was between the end of Sparky's Tenure and 2005, some of the fun things for me back then was just hoping. Hope is boundless and it does not set limits on what can be. Let's hope for the best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warning Track Power said:

Thanks, Goose. I am so ready for the season to get here. Baseball, even bad baseball is better than no baseball! I am eager to see some of the young guys step up a little. I remember how bad it was between the end of Sparky's Tenure and 2005, some of the fun things for me back then was just hoping. Hope is boundless and it does not set limits on what can be. Let's hope for the best.

I like this guy. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I like this guy. 

I don't know whether I like him yet, but I am hopeful.  

3 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Speaking of liking guys, McCosky likes Mikie Mahtook a lot more than I do.

I read yesterday that he was calling Mahtook a roster lock.   I hope that's not the case.

35 minutes ago, Warning Track Power said:

Welcome  

Good news: Faedo may have gotten some velocity back

Bad news: Faedo don't like none of that new fangled technology stuff

Faedo’s first year in pro ball last season was bumpy, but probably not as bad as the numbers make it look. Although he hates to talk about it, his velocity dipped, which was a source of worry for the Tigers’ front office.

There were a lot of smiles on Tuesday when Faedo was sitting at 92-93 mph in a bullpen session, hitting 94 repeatedly.

“I feel good,” he said. “Nothing mechanical, really, just throwing. I added a little bit to my throwing program, taking care of my body a little better.”

He said he didn’t look at the gun and doesn’t pay attention to all the data collected by the Rapsodo machine. As far as assessing his pitches, he prefers the old-fashioned method.

I don’t fault pitchers for not wanting to look at the rapsodo data or whatever. Let the analysts look at it and make some suggestions to the coaching staff. 

It’s spring training for everyone. For mccosky, he will be in spring training forever. Just read this gem of a sentence:

In 15 starts there in 2017, he posted a 4.72 ERA and 1.47 WHIP in 15 starts.”