LooseGoose

2019 Spring Training Thread

Miggy's day minute by minute.   I must be ill informed because I'd never heard of "Frank".

Either Miggy is washed up, Boyd is dominant or it's early.

But Cabrera takes some hacks. All foul balls that scrape the top fo the batting cage. Cabrera and Boyd laugh.

A few minutes later, in his third “at-bat” against Boyd, Cabrera exits without a hit. 

Miggy's back! Following the Tigers star on Day 1 in Lakeland

Spencer Turnbull will start the Tigers' exhibition opener against Southeastern University on Friday, manager Ron Gardenhire said.

18 minutes ago, kdog said:

Spencer Turnbull will start the Tigers' exhibition opener against Southeastern University on Friday

The NewAce™

Huh.  Well, you can disregard everything I said there.  Southeastern (NAIA) is apparently different from Nova Southeastern -- shows what I know.  There are so many small schools playing baseball in the South...

This article answers my question about why it's not Florida Southern this year -- https://www.theledger.com/sports/20180829/southeastern-to-play-detroit-tigers-in-spring-training-exhibition

Southeastern is coming off of a 31-0 win last weekend, so I guess they're swinging the bat well.  Their schedule page claims to have a Live Video feed for Friday's game; I'll believe that when I see it.

Righty Spencer Turnbull, who pitched with the Tigers for the better part of September, will start the team’s exhibition opener against Southeastern University on Friday.

As promised — Gardenhire said earlier in the week the team would be trotting out some exciting names — the Tigers will send Turnbull, who should make an impact this season, along with No. 1 overall pick Casey Mize and power-throwing prospect Kyle Funkhouser to the hill, among others.

Pitchers are expected to throw one inning apiece.

Officially, Cowart is here as a two-way player, given his long history as an infielder. (The former first-round draft pick has played first, second, shortstop and third base in 162 big-league games over the last four seasons with the Angels.

But the reality is that if Cowart can’t pitch, he won’t make the roster. He’s a career .177 hitter (.534 OPS) and the Tigers have plenty of other viable utility infield options.

The only thing that sets apart is the intriguing possibility of finding a talented reliever hidden in a utility infielder’s body.

That’s why Gardenhire said he plans to emphasize to Cowart that he needs to make pitching his No. 1 priority. That means, for example, no infield drills after a bullpen session. 

“We want him to get more involved in the pitching process right now. We know what he can do defensively,” Gardenhire said.

To get the most out of this drill the catchers should consume one six pack in its entirety 15 minutes prior to these drills. It would be like using a 40 oz bat in practice and a 34 oz bat on gameday.

Where are the innovative thinkers in this organization?!?!

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

This is pretty cool—today’s game on the “backfields”

224C76CD-259D-48CE-85C1-CA468DDA6B33.jpeg

I wish that one was televised.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:48 AM, Tenacious D said:

That article was hard to follow—he’s quickly following in Henning’s footsteps.

Fenech grew up reading Joyce and Faulkner instead of Ring Lardner

Here are the cold numbers from Norris’ two innings: 32 pitches, 20 strikes, no runs, no hits, two strikeouts, two walks, two hard-hit balls. He threw mostly four-seam fastballs with a velocity range of 89-91 mph. He threw one change-up at 87, which was a beauty. He also mixed in a few sliders at 80-81 and curve balls at 76-78.

Yes, the velocity is a concern, but only because Norris used to ring up mid-90s on the radar gun. That was three years ago, before having to deal with a rash of injuries, the most recent resulting in groin surgery that cost him most of last season.

He may never get back to 95, but he doesn’t think he will sit at 89-91 all year, either.

“It’ll start creeping up,” he said. “I’ve said it all spring, nothing hurts. That’s all I can say. The velo will come. You want it to be there, but if I get people out, I get people out. And it’s not the same 91 as it was last year, when I was trying to force it and it was cutting.

“I thought it was better in the second inning. The curve ball was good. I threw a change-up at 87, that was big. I will keep getting stretched out and I’ll keep building up on it.”

Pitching coach Rick Anderson and Gardenhire took note of the swings the hitters were taking off that 91-mph fastball, and they weren't great. But they would like to see him gain more trust in it at that speed.

"You watch him going through it and he's doing fine," Gardenhire said. "Then he throws a 3-2 curve ball to walk a guy instead of attacking him. Then we get a lead (in the second inning) and he walks the leadoff hitter.

"Sometimes he backs away. I know it's the first outing of spring training, but those are situations where you have to be better."

isn't there a pitching/specialty coach who can helps players like Norris and Faedo restore their recent velocity?  If so, pay the guy a $1MM to come here.

We can hope that since Norris' injuries were not to his arm, there is a better chance the velocity does come back, but who knows?

even if the velocity comes back, isn't his problem that he can't repeat his delivery to both maintain the velocity and command?

19 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'm guessing there isn't

IIR the history correctly, Jeff Jones had a big role in Porcello re-finding a few MPH he had lost along the way, but it can be tricky. If memory serves, one spring when JV was looking for tweaks to gain a little more velocity he lowered his arm angle and found a couple of mph (this was something Dubee had at least one other Tiger pitcher try) but he ended up losing movement differential across his repertoire and he had to back  out of the arm angle change by the ASB. Now with rapsodos/etc around that kind of wrong move should be less likely.

7 minutes ago, kdog said:

even if the velocity comes back, isn't his problem that he can't repeat his delivery to both maintain the velocity and command?

Norris had always had high walk rates in the minors, so yes - I think his delivery has always been there as a concern, but then so many other things have happened that maybe just getting him pitching again at all may have pushed that down the list some.