Yoda

2019 MLB Debuts

Should be a fun year to watch prospects. Several of their top prospects (Mize, Paredes, Cameron, Manning?) could very well make their debuts at some point this year.  Any guesses as to who and when? 

Tigers will likely hang onto Reed Garrett, the rule 5 guy will make his ML debut this year.  Willi Castro played a handful of games in AAA last year, if the Tigers need an infielder he will likely make his debut.  Sergio Alcantara played in AA last year, but he's another one that might make his ML debut this year.  

Anyone else will have to be added to the 40-man roster, which isn't impossible.  I've heard Jacob Robson's name as a possibility of making his ML debut in 2019.  

I'm hoping we see 8-10 of them over the course of the year.   Start getting them ready for the 2020 run to the title.

Reed Garrett-April

Jacob Robson-May (for an injury to an OF)

Zac Houston-June (for an injury)

Funk, Mize, Cameron, Castro, Rogers-September 

22 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I want to see Cameron.  

Unless there are injuries or he plays out of his mind, I think he gets at least 400 AB’s in Toledo.  No reason to rush him or start his arbitration clock.

30 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Unless there are injuries or he plays out of his mind, I think he gets at least 400 AB’s in Toledo.  No reason to rush him or start his arbitration clock.

That could be said for a lot of the guys you listed above (mize). Why bring him up for just a start or two this year. Rogers and Cameron will probably get a shot at some point. Outside of that I don't expect to see any of the top prospects outside of stewart

45 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If Avila starts clocks early will he/Illitch be credited for not being cheap?  Or excoriated for being stupid?

• Like 1

It's certainly defensible to hold back on starting up their service time clocks if you aren't on a path to win for at least 2 more seasons. The Blue Jays are still going to pull charade on Vladdy Jr. this year for the first few weeks until they are free and clear. I'm not going to call anyone cheap in this respect. 

27 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

If Avila starts clocks early will he/Illitch be credited for not being cheap?  Or excoriated for being stupid?

Yes.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

That could be said for a lot of the guys you listed above (mize). Why bring him up for just a start or two this year. Rogers and Cameron will probably get a shot at some point. Outside of that I don't expect to see any of the top prospects outside of stewart

Well, a start or two only costs a handful of service time days, and if a guy is good enough to play in mlb, option years are irrelevant. 

Just now, Shelton said:

Well, a start or two only costs a handful of service time days, and if a guy is good enough to play in mlb, option years are irrelevant. 

I most of the time agree. But its often silly to burn when your bad and expect to be that way for at least 2 more years. 

I think some of the relievers, such as Houston and Garcia, could see time during the season.  I agree, this isn't a year that they need to see anybody who isn't ready.

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

Should be a fun year to watch prospects. Several of their top prospects (Mize, Paredes, Cameron, Manning?) could very well make their debuts at some point this year.  Any guesses as to who and when? 

I might have to hit some more Mud Hens games than I normally do.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I might have to hit some more Mud Hens games than I normally do.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the rosters look like for Erie and Toledo. I called Gwinnett’s ticket office today regarding the Mud Hens series there at the end of April. Good year to follow the minors.

3 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Yes, but I only suggested that they get called up when rosters expand in September.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I'm hoping for 250 - 300 PA's at Toledo, he hits the **** out of the ball with an .850 OPS and gets called up by June 30. 

3 hours ago, kdog said:

It's certainly defensible to hold back on starting up their service time clocks if you aren't on a path to win for at least 2 more seasons. The Blue Jays are still going to pull charade on Vladdy Jr. this year for the first few weeks until they are free and clear. I'm not going to call anyone cheap in this respect. 

To be fair, Vlad only has to sit out a couple weeks. 

I'm all for holding off to the point where it's not slowing their development. I like challenging prospects, especially those with a high upside. I'm not sure that will apply to any of them this year, though. 

I wonder if they have considered bringing Carlos Guillen in to help instruct Castellanos on transitioning to 1B.

Edit -- Whoops.  Wrong thread.  How do I delete?

When Whitey Herzog was in St. Louis he made a trade with SF to get Jack Clark. Up until that trade Clark had been in RF. Herzog immediately moved him to first base. His bat literally drove the Cardinals offense from there. This is what I’d like to see with Nick. I believe his numbers would be better if he could make the adjustment to first. Nick says he’s open to an extension. I would really hate to lose this guy. He’s a fan favorite and a homegrown Tiger. I think he is probably viewed as a team leader, maybe moreso among the players themselves. 

Gardenhire says Miggy’s body will determine who plays first. I think that’s a bull**** approach, not even a plan. Give Nick some reps at first this spring. I have no doubt he could be successful. Gardenhire and Company need to manage Cabrera’s work as closely as possible. Waiting to see if Cabrera’s body breaks down again isn’t managing anything. Miggy should be primary DH while still getting some games at 1B. 

I believe trading  Nick for more prospects would give fans the impression that the org is cheap and not about winning but more about having reasons for not winning. There is no gurantee that the current system’s prospects will meet expectations anyway.

If we keep hauling these washed up old hacks in we won't learn anything about the kids.   That may be the plan re:arb time, etc - if so, it sucks.   Seeing some of the kids getting a shot was the part of this season I was most looking forward too.   Honestly I would have been perfectly satisfied if they had never signed Mercer, Beckham, Harrison or the other various pieces of dreck that have washed up on the mound or behind the plate.    Even had we lost 5-10 more games I think the season would be more interesting and possibly more informative of the future.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

If we keep hauling these washed up old hacks in we won't learn anything about the kids.   That may be the plan re:arb time, etc - if so, it sucks.   Seeing some of the kids getting a shot was the part of this season I was most looking forward too.   Honestly I would have been perfectly satisfied if they had never signed Mercer, Beckham, Harrison or the other various pieces of dreck that have washed up on the mound or behind the plate.    Even had we lost 5-10 more games I think the season would be more interesting and possibly more informative of the future.

Possibly.

But with the current economic structure it makes no sense just to play the kids at the major league level. Made more sense in 1992. Not anymore