Sydney_Fife

2019 Playoff Chase

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Don't worry, this is the show that keeps repeating. They'll be back at it again to start the 2019-20 season just like they did this season and last season (14-6 and 13-7 starts).

Brogdon out 6-8 weeks for Milwaukee.  With Toronto right on their tails there is a decent chance that they get passed for the 1 seed.  So with that said assuming that happens and Philly holds on to the 3 seed would we better off dropping to 7 and facing a likely Brogdonless Milwaukee team?  Either matchup sucks and we would probably be looking at a 10% chance at best of winning either one but I just dread that Philly team with a healthy Embiid.  What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Brogdon out 6-8 weeks for Milwaukee.  With Toronto right on their tails there is a decent chance that they get passed for the 1 seed.  So with that said assuming that happens and Philly holds on to the 3 seed would we better off dropping to 7 and facing a likely Brogdonless Milwaukee team?  Either matchup sucks and we would probably be looking at a 10% chance at best of winning either one but I just dread that Philly team with a healthy Embiid.  What do you guys think?

i think indiana is the only team the pistons could take more than one game off in any series.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

i think indiana is the only team the pistons could take more than one game off in any series.

Philly has the basketball IQ of a turnip.  I think they would give one game away in the 4th quarter.

As I type this I'm watching Embiid shoot a shot with 7 seconds left in the quarter, shot clock off.  And The Bucks get the rebound and are fouled.  

It must be frustrating to watch them be so stupid every night.

I said a month or two ago I wanted the Pistons to play Milwaukee.  They would still lose, but I think The Bucks are very beatable and I'm not buying them yet.  Let Giannis do his thing and take away everyone else.  If you try to stop him he will still get his, plus now the other guys are running around free and bombing three's.  

Of course that was before Oladipo got hurt, so maybe Indiana is the team to play now.  I still think Detroit would lose to them though.  

Boston has a ton more talent, but seem pretty screwed up mentally this year.  Although they seem to be playing better lately.

16 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Philly has the basketball IQ of a turnip.  I think they would give one game away in the 4th quarter.

As I type this I'm watching Embiid shoot a shot with 7 seconds left in the quarter, shot clock off.  And The Bucks get the rebound and are fouled.  

Did you see Embiid run full speed into Redick while attempting to block a shot? Almost took his head off. The guy plays so recklessly, he has done it multiple times this year.

I would love to see a Philly/Boston 1st round series just to see if 32 year old Al Horford can neutralize him down the stretch again. 

19 hours ago, Deleterious said:

but every time andre plays embiid, andre doubles down on stupid.  i dont want any part of philly.

indiana or bust.  they can beat indiana.

Philly is their nightmare matchup. Big fast point guard, dominant big who can also step outside. Horrible matchup for the Pistons. Any other team I think they can make it a tough series, Philly would sweep them.

42 minutes ago, Buddha said:

but every time andre plays embiid, andre doubles down on stupid.  i dont want any part of philly.

indiana or bust.  they can beat indiana.

I am slightly interested in seeing Drummond play a series against Embiid. If he can hold his own and play well, the narrative around Drummond could significantly change. 

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Philly is their nightmare matchup. Big fast point guard, dominant big who can also step outside. Horrible matchup for the Pistons. Any other team I think they can make it a tough series, Philly would sweep them.

Simmons isn't fast and the Pistons defend him fine.  He doesn't even average his career average for scoring against them.  

And Embiid can't step outside at all.  He is shooting 29% from three and shoots 31% for his career.  I'm begging Embiid to shoot from outside if I'm coaching against him.  

Philly is crazy talented but like I said, very stupid.  They won't be sweeping anyone since they probably will give away at least one game a series just based on their massive amounts of TO's and careless play.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Simmons isn't fast and the Pistons defend him fine.  He doesn't even average his career average for scoring against them.  

And Embiid can't step outside at all.  He is shooting 29% from three and shoots 31% for his career.  I'm begging Embiid to shoot from outside if I'm coaching against him.  

Philly is crazy talented but like I said, very stupid.  They won't be sweeping anyone since they probably will give away at least one game a series just based on their massive amounts of TO's and careless play.

To emphasize this, Embiid was 4-13 from three yesterday. He is averaging 4 3PTA/game on 29%. 

The way to slow Embiid is to run a scheme that lets him shoot 3s. 

In regards to Simmons, he simply refuses to shoot from 3. Drop your defenders back and watch him look scared. 

36 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

He might not hit a high frequency of outside shots but Embiid does step outside a lot and owns Drummond. It's a mental thing at this point with Drummond, he tries to act like Hakeem against Embiid because he feels like he has to prove he's better than him instead of playing within the team concept and deferring.

The Pistons don't defend point guards well, that has always been their big weakness defensively. It's either Reggie who is too slow or Ish who is too small.  I guess they could put Brown on him but Simmonds will be tough to stop for this team.

I think the Pistons match up pretty well with the Raptors (obviously) and Celtics. The Sixers and Bucks are their tough matchups but I could see the Bucks struggling a bit with the playoff grind as the defenses tighten up on Giannis.

Either way, beggars can't be choosers. They will be a big underdog no matter who they play but at least it'll be nice to see playoff basketball (if they make it).

the worry against philly isnt that embiid will shoot threes, its that drummond will.

as soon as embiid makes one and starts talking smack, drummond will start doing all the stupid crap that has killed us over the years: the post ups, the threes, the ridiculous drives.

if drummond focuses on what he's good at, he can drive embiid crazy.  beat him down the floor, box out, dive like a mad man on the pnr.  do that and you can match embiid.  be stupid macho dre who thinks he olajuwon and youre going to get embarrassed.

regardless,  philly - while dumb - is very talented.  talented enough to beat detroit.  that said, i dont think they have enough outside shooting to work in the playoffs.  we'll see.

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the worry against philly isnt that embiid will shoot threes, its that drummond will.

as soon as embiid makes one and starts talking smack, drummond will start doing all the stupid crap that has killed us over the years: the post ups, the threes, the ridiculous drives.

if drummond focuses on what he's good at, he can drive embiid crazy.  beat him down the floor, box out, dive like a mad man on the pnr.  do that and you can match embiid.  be stupid macho dre who thinks he olajuwon and youre going to get embarrassed.

regardless,  philly - while dumb - is very talented.  talented enough to beat detroit.  that said, i dont think they have enough outside shooting to work in the playoffs.  we'll see.

They are the 7th best team from three in the league.  Like DC33 pointed out, that is with Embiid doing his Stanley Johnson impersonation.

I admit their offense will bog down in the playoffs with a PG who can't shoot.

13 minutes ago, Buddha said:

exactly. Drummond is capable of making life hard enough for Embiid defensively to give the Pistons a punchers chance if he commits to it. He just has to embrace that role and let rest take care of itself. That is the whole battle for Andre.

27 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Drummond barely ever shoots 3s unless they are half court shots at the end of a quarter or a heave with the shot clock winding down. I know it's easy to knock Drummond...but give the man some props for how he has been playing. He isn't going to start shooting 3s in the playoffs. Casey let him experiment with it, Drummond saw he isn't ready & Casey literally said last night that Drummond may be able to shoot 3s in the future but he simply is not there right now. Every so often you will see a team give Andre all the room in the world to shoot but he doesn't take the bait. 

Also, Philly should be worried about Embiid shooting 3s. If anything, he tends to get far too arrogant and out of control in closing moments of games/high pressure games. 

Nobody is knocking Drummond, we're talking about how he plays against Embiid. He has this weird thing with Embiid where he feels like he needs to "one up" everything Embiid does as if he's little brother playing against big bro and he lets the trash talk get in his head. 

Like Buddha said, if he focuses on what he's good at which is crashing the glass looking for put backs, pick and rolls and running the floor, he can be effective against Embiid. If he tries to play hero ball against Embiid, he'll get embarrassed again and bring down the team in the process.

24 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Nobody is knocking Drummond, we're talking about how he plays against Embiid. He has this weird thing with Embiid where he feels like he needs to "one up" everything Embiid does as if he's little brother playing against big bro and he lets the trash talk get in his head. 

Like Buddha said, if he focuses on what he's good at which is crashing the glass looking for put backs, pick and rolls and running the floor, he can be effective against Embiid. If he tries to play hero ball against Embiid, he'll get embarrassed again and bring down the team in the process.

Drummond is 0/3 on 3PA against Embiid this season (with the games being at a time where Drummond was more actively shooting 3s. He has since disbanded this strategy).

Embiid is 2/11 on 3PA against Drummond this season (and has been increasing his attempts & decreasing his percentage as the season has gone on). 

The fear of Drummond shooting mad 3s against Philly is just not based on what has happened on the court. 

i knew when i posted that bit about drummond shooting 3s that 313 would have a big long post that focuses on that and nothing else i said.

the point was that drummond does stupid **** against embiid because he's got this thing with him on twitter.

sorry to have to clarify.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I admit their offense will bog down in the playoffs with a PG who can't shoot.

well thats the point.  in a 7 game series where teams will game plan and adjust, they might not be able to space the floor effectively.

that said, they may have enough individual offensive talent to overcome that.  it will be interesting to see how much of their offense bogs down with butler or embiid going one on one, and what they do when the double comes from simmons' man.

and how much does jimmy butler sulk when he isnt the focal point of the offense?  or will he be?

fascinating stuff!

15 hours ago, Buddha said:

i knew when i posted that bit about drummond shooting 3s that 313 would have a big long post that focuses on that and nothing else i said.

the point was that drummond does stupid **** against embiid because he's got this thing with him on twitter.

sorry to have to clarify.

The worry against philly isnt that embiid will shoot threes, its that drummond will.

How silly of me to respond to you making multiple comments of him shooting 3s with the actual facts. He is 0/3 on 3PA against Embiid in 3 games this season. It literally is not an issue, it is something you've created as a concern.

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

How silly of me to respond to you making multiple comments of him shooting 3s with the actual facts. He is 0/3 on 3PA against Embiid in 3 games this season. It literally is not an issue, it is something you've created as a concern.

the point was drummond will start to do stupid stuff.  but instead you have to focus in like a laser on the one thing you think is wrong and then comment on it, ignoring the general point.

because that's what you do.  all the time.  every time.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the point was drummond will start to do stupid stuff.  but instead you have to focus in like a laser on the one thing you think is wrong and then comment on it, ignoring the general point.

because that's what you do.  all the time.  every time.

Dude...you mentioned him shooting 3s multiple times your post. Are we to just act like it is a real thing when it is factually incorrect?

5 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Dude...you mentioned him shooting 3s multiple times your post. Are we to just act like it is a real thing when it is factually incorrect?

do you think there's a risk that drummond plays out of control against embiid?