Sydney_Fife

2019 Playoff Chase

Pistons now 2.5 games up on a playoff spot. 

Heat lose last night to Suns. Magic lose tonight to the Knicks 

37 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

The Magic lose to the Knicks! Henry Ellenson with 13/9 including a huge three at the end. 

Magic win in Toronto, loss in NY and at home to the Bulls. 

36 minutes for Ellenson in one game.  That feels like about the total he had his whole Pistons career.  

Orlando beats Golden State, who rested KD. 

Miami blowing out Houston. 

Pistons will be 1.5 game up on a playoff spot. 

Miami blows another big lead and this time there’s no Wade prayer to save them. They lose in Houston. 

Pistons 1.5 up on Charlotte and Orlando. 2.5 up on Miami

Heat lose by 3. Rockets were without Faried and Shumpert. PJ Tucker got tossed in the third. 

Today is the deadline for players to be cut and still eligible for the playoffs on their next team.

Basically, anyone not on a roster tonight at 11:59PM is eligible for the playoffs as long as they sign before the last day of the regular season.  Anyone on a roster at midnight is only eligible with their current team.

Just now, Deleterious said:

Today is the deadline for players to be cut and still eligible for the playoffs on their next team.

Basically, anyone not on a roster tonight at 11:59PM is eligible for the playoffs as long as they sign before the last day of the regular season.  Anyone on a roster at midnight is only eligible with their current team.

Dewayne Dedmon could have positively impacted quite a few teams. But it doesn't look like Atlanta will be cutting him. 

If you're pulling for a specific opponent in the playoffs, pull for Boston.  What a mess they are.

at this rate they might finish ahead of boston.

16 hours ago, Deleterious said:

If you're pulling for a specific opponent in the playoffs, pull for Boston.  What a mess they are.

If I am the Pistons, I prefer Boston over most of the other options (with the exception of Indiana).

Boston is combustible, Kyrie is injury prone, Drummond dominates Boston and some of those guys are going to be playing for their own self interest as free agents (Rozier especially). 

But at the same time, they have a lot of advantages over this team. A healthy Kyrie will eat Reggie alive. They have long wings we don't match up well against. Stevens has been shaky all season, but he is still a good head coach. 

Pistons are 3.5 games up on a playoff spot. They're tied for 6th right now.

Brooklyn plays the hardest remaining schedule in the NBA. They play @ Atlanta and us the next 2. Their last game is home against Miami. Look at the 12 games in between.

Wed, Mar 13 7:00 PM

829 tickets as low as $8 
Sat, Mar 16
@UtahUtah
9:00 PM   1,470 tickets as low as $19 
Sun, Mar 17
@LALA
9:00 PM   1,456 tickets as low as $7 
Tue, Mar 19 10:00 PM   1,147 tickets as low as $11 
Fri, Mar 22 10:30 PM   2,159 tickets as low as $91 
Mon, Mar 25 10:00 PM
NBATV
1,174 tickets as low as $9 
Thu, Mar 28 7:00 PM   1,772 tickets as low as $14 
Sat, Mar 30
vsBostonBoston
6:00 PM   4,258 tickets as low as $58 
Mon, Apr 1 7:30 PM   4,283 tickets as low as $25 
Wed, Apr 3 7:30 PM   3,557 tickets as low as $37 
Sat, Apr 6 5:00 PM
NBATV
1,226 tickets as low as $38 
Sun, Apr 7 5:00 PM

2 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Pistons are 3.5 games up on a playoff spot. They're tied for 6th right now.

Brooklyn plays the hardest remaining schedule in the NBA. They play @ Atlanta and us the next 2. Their last game is home against Miami. Look at the 12 games in between.

Wed, Mar 13 7:00 PM

829 tickets as low as $8 
Sat, Mar 16
@UtahUtah
9:00 PM   1,470 tickets as low as $19 
Sun, Mar 17
@LALA
9:00 PM   1,456 tickets as low as $7 
Tue, Mar 19 10:00 PM   1,147 tickets as low as $11 
Fri, Mar 22 10:30 PM   2,159 tickets as low as $91 
Mon, Mar 25 10:00 PM
NBATV
1,174 tickets as low as $9 
Thu, Mar 28 7:00 PM   1,772 tickets as low as $14 
Sat, Mar 30
vsBostonBoston
6:00 PM   4,258 tickets as low as $58 
Mon, Apr 1 7:30 PM   4,283 tickets as low as $25 
Wed, Apr 3 7:30 PM   3,557 tickets as low as $37 
Sat, Apr 6 5:00 PM
NBATV
1,226 tickets as low as $38 
Sun, Apr 7 5:00 PM

Ouch, that is a rough schedule against teams that have a lot to play for.

If we really want Indiana were gonna have to start keeping an eye on them.  They're only a game up on Philly right now.    I know Indiana is a tough team and I certainly wouldn't expect to beat them but I like our chances alot more against them than I do Philly.  

I think everybody would agree facing Indiana is a better proposition than facing Philly.  

If we really don't want to play Philly, our best bet may be that Boston overtakes Philly for the three seed.  I know Boston has been a train wreck but it would not be surprising to me if they finished strong.  Not sure facing them is any better than the Sixers though.  

Philly looks like they are going to lose tonight.  The Embiid situation is worth watching.  How much longer is he going to continue not to play?  

On 3/7/2019 at 6:02 PM, Sydney_Fife said:

but the Pelicans can't shut down Davis?

Indy plays Philly today.  Big implications for playoff seeding that bears watching for Piston fans.  

Pistons definitely in the driver's seat for 6th with strength of schedule considerations. Just keep playing well and don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Sad part is that the prize for 6th place is Embiid and the Sixers who have the best remaining schedule of the three teams in that range. Indy has the most difficult schedule and is without their star, so they could easily lose home court and slip to the 5th seed.

did we assume they wouldnt lose again all season?

if reggie is hurt they are in trouble.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

They got destroyed by 2 teams that are about their equals so some concern is warranted. When did you become Mr. Glass Half Full anyway? What did you do with the real Buddha?

The fact of the matter is that they were playing with fire during the winning streak by going down by double digits virtually every game against some subpar teams relying on the bench to get them back in the game and unsustainably hot 3 point shooting. Now they're getting exposed for being lazy to start games, bad habit that can't continue and it needs to be rectified quickly if they want to make the playoffs at all. The upcoming schedule is a killer.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

I think there were some on this board who were ready to put the long history of this core behind them and pretend that the Pistons suddenly turned a corner.

The fact is that this team is still a first round sweep victim with no cap space, just a mid-round pick, and ownership who'd rather keep trying the same thing over and over rather than push aggressively to head in one direction or the other. NBA purgatory.

i dont totally disagree with either of you.  however, i would like to point out that teams go through bad stretches in the nba and get blown out all the time.  even good teams.

i think the pistons are probably better than the nets and heat if everyone is healthy.  maybe not better, but equal.  better than they showed the last two games.

i also think the pistons will likely finish 6th or 7th.  if they get philly, they'll lose in 4.  if they get toronto, probably 5.  if they get indiana, i think they can win.  but that's only if reggie is healthy.  if he's not, theyre likely looking at 8th at best and getting swept by milwaukee.  and thats at best.

all the same problems with this team remain going forward as this is likely to be the best they are considering how well blake is playing.  all the crowing from the "i love andre" crowd is a tad bit premature.  hope not, but we'll see.