Sydney_Fife

2019 Playoff Chase

8 days off for Detroit. After the break, there’s less than 7 weeks left in the season. 

Pistons tied with Miami for 8th. 

1 game behind Charlotte. 2.5 behind Brooklyn. 

Orlando hanging around. One game back. Washington is still alive at 3 back. 

I would be careful of Orlando. They are the dark horse with an easy remaining schedule and good play of late. 

Wow. Orlando has lost 13 straight to Charlotte  

They are up by 34 points in the first half on the Hornets tonight. 

Pistons now a half game out of 7th. Tied for 8th with Miami. But only a half game ahead of Orlando. 

Going to be tight race 

Brooklyn with the second hardest schedule remaining. Charlotte with the third hardest. 

Knicks win! They win in Atlanta, the first game out of the break for the Pistons 

See everyone Thursday night. Much needed 6 day break from here. 

Shouldn't the title be "2019 Turtle Derby"?

I don't know how anybody can say this is an easy schedule when they have more road games than anybody else left including a killer West Coast trip which is a 1-3 at best and they could easily lose to the Suns, with another at OKC a bit later so that;'s 1-4 at best in that stretch of 5. This is a horrendous road team so they only make it in (as if it matters anyway) if 2 of the other teams collapse, which is entirely possible.

It should be called "The Battle for Mediocrity"

Not sure if I should be rooting for a playoff spot because I'm a fan, or against it...also, because I'm a fan. At least if they don't make the playoffs you have a tiny, tiny chance at a franchise changing pick.

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

Shouldn't the title be "2019 Turtle Derby"?

I don't know how anybody can say this is an easy schedule when they have more road games than anybody else left including a killer West Coast trip which is a 1-3 at best and they could easily lose to the Suns, with another at OKC a bit later so that;'s 1-4 at best in that stretch of 5. This is a horrendous road team so they only make it in (as if it matters anyway) if 2 of the other teams collapse, which is entirely possible.

Uhhhhhh, maybe because it's based on statistics. Like opponent winning percentage.

They play 3 tough west coast games on that trip. It includes Phoenix. 1-3

Their away games include: Knicks, Hawks, Cavs, Bulls, Cavs, Suns. 

• Thanks 1

Their remaining home schedule looks to be more difficult than their remaining road schedule.

Tough home games against Indiana x2, Toronto x2, Portland.  The only real cupcake of a home game is Memphis and Chicago.  Maybe The Lakers if Lebron doesn't play.  Orlando is playing good ball, 5-0 in their last 5.  Charlotte isn't good, but will be fighting for a playoff spot.  

13 hours ago, Buddha said:

I think we finish 6th.

But there are only 5 teams in the division.

17 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Uhhhhhh, maybe because it's based on statistics. Like opponent winning percentage.

Are you factoring in the Pistons' winning percentage?

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

My point is for a team that is brutal on the road, having a road heavy schedule against anybody is a tough task, some are easy on paper but there's also a bunch of others that are pretty much automatic L's.. They play more road games than all the other teams in the "race" I believe so it's a tough schedule for this team IMO, or at least I wouldn't classify it as easy even compared to the others.

No mention of their opponents home record?

Phoenix is 7-22 at home, same as Cleveland.  Chicago is 6-23 at home.  Atlanta is 9-17 at home.  The Knicks are, good lord, the Knicks should be in the G-League.  4-23 at home.  

Go 3-3 or 4-2 in those games and things are going to be fine.  Maybe steal one of the Miami games or the Spurs game.  

Miami plays in Philly tonight, Embiid is out. I'd be all over Heat +6.5 in that one.

Portland is in Brooklyn. Pistons could move to within 2 games of the Nets with a Blazers win.

Heat lose at home to the 11-50 Suns, who had lost 17 straight games. 

Hornets lose to Golden State. 

Pistons 1.5 back of Brooklyn. 1.5 up on Charlotte. 2 up on Orlando. 3 games up on Miami. 

Is there going to be a victory parade for clinching a playoff spot or are they going to hold out for a win in the playoffs?

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Is there going to be a victory parade for clinching a playoff spot or are they going to hold out for a win in the playoffs?

I think they have a banner ready for reaching .500, if it happens. 

Just now, Shelton said:

I think they have a banner ready for reaching .500, if it happens. 

They'll lose the next game.

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

They'll lose the next game.

That’s a given. 

I'll give it a few more games but this recent surge feels a little different to me than previous positive steps we have taken.  Reggie is still frustrating but he is clearly healthy now and at least provides some value.  Griffin and Drummond don't look like they are getting in each other's way on the court.  Kennard has taken a big step forward and finally gives us a wing that can put some fear into teams shooting the ball.  And Stanely Johnson is gone.  Naturally, we get grouped with the playoff bubble teams but I think the Pistons may deserve to be a tier above them now and are probably the team the top 3 seeds in the East want to see least in the playoffs.  

The Magic lose to the Knicks! Henry Ellenson with 13/9 including a huge three at the end. 

Magic win in Toronto, loss in NY and at home to the Bulls.