RedRamage

MLB rule: Jim Joyce can not umpire any Galarraga game.

Just an interesting bit of trivia I stumbled across today.

Did you know that there was an MLB rule that barred Jim Joyce from umpiring any game in which team that has Armando Galarraga on the roster plays?  But it's probably not for the reason you'd think it might be.

The rule was put in place in place June of 2011 after Galarraga and Joyce, along with author Daniel Paisner, released a book called "Nobody's Perfect" that of course deals with the Near Perfect Game.

According to MLB this makes them business partners and so to avoid any appearance of impropriety Joyce was replaced with someone else whenever his crew was scheduled to ump a game where Galarraga was on the roster (whether Galarraga was playing or not).

http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=6617450

• Like 2

I remember hearing about this back when the book was coming out. 

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

This is a thread?

Not just a thread, but a Red Ramage thread. 

• Like 1

I may have jumped the gun a bit on declaring it a red ramage thread, but the 8-year old news as a basis for a thread qualifies. Although, we could really use another three or four paragraphs complete with hypothetical analogy to get to the bottom of whether this arrangement was appropriate. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I may have jumped the gun a bit on declaring it a red ramage thread, but the 8-year old news as a basis for a thread qualifies. Although, we could really use another three or four paragraphs complete with hypothetical analogy to get to the bottom of whether this arrangement was appropriate. 

No, you're wrong Shelton.  8 year old news, in and over itself does NOT qualify as a RR thread.  See a RR Thread is one that goes in depth in minutia of a topic and explores the many different possible motivations or situations surrounding said topic.

If this thread were to examine what financial gain Joyce may have obtained by being biased in his call of a game... and how much that gain may or may not have been... and compared it to other possible "conflict of interest" motivations on the league, as well as in other leagues, then it would be more correct to term it an RR thread.  But this thread is short, sweat, and most importantly: to the point without a lot of fluff.

Honestly calling this a RR Tread is like calling a ferry boat from St. Ignace to Mackinac Island a cruise ship.  They are both water craft and they are both involved in transporting people from one plot of land to another, but that's where the similarities end.  A cruise ship is MUCH more elaborate, and while is it transporting people, that's only a small part of it's primary mission.

In the same way, both this thread and an RR-thread are started by me and are used to pass information to the general readers here, but the similarities end there.  This thread was just about conveying an interested factoid that I discovered today.  While a standard RR-thread might also include one or more interesting factoids, the primary purpose of such a thread is significantly more elaborate.

At this point, I feel it only appropriate that you issue a written retraction and an formal apology.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

nicely done

of course, now it would be irresponsible to issue a retraction

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

If this thread were to examine what financial gain Joyce may have obtained by being biased in his call of a game... and how much that gain may or may not have been... 

Any deep dive into Joyce's motivations would need to extend well beyond the book deal.   Go back to the beginning.   Did he blow the original call on purpose?   If he calls it correctly he retires as just another forgotten MLB umpire. 

With the blown call he's notable and worthy of a book deal.......

20 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Any deep dive into Joyce's motivations would need to extend well beyond the book deal.   Go back to the beginning.   Did he blow the original call on purpose?   If he calls it correctly he retires as just another forgotten MLB umpire. 

With the blown call he's notable and worthy of a book deal.......

To go deeper maybe Galaragga was in on it too.  Maybe he told Joyce before the at bat to blow any close call because like Joyce would be forgotten if not for the call so would Armando, he wouldve just ended up like the Dallas Braden's of the world.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

To go deeper maybe Galaragga was in on it too.  Maybe he told Joyce before the at bat to blow any close call because like Joyce would be forgotten if not for the call so would Armando, he wouldve just ended up like the Dallas Braden's of the world.

I think the commissioners office was in on it too.  It's all fixed.  

9 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I think the commissioners office was in on it too.  It's all fixed.  

There is no question the game was fixed. It doesn’t stop there. The playoff teams and WS match-up for 2019 has already been decided on. Tickets have already been printed.

I had tickets to the day after the Galaragga game and wasn't planning on going because it was an afternoon game during the week.  I changed my plans and went down there after lunch.  I suspected they'd do something before the game.  

/hijack to an oblong thread

Jim Joyce is a native of Toledo, Ohio. Investigate.

58 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I had tickets to the day after the Galaragga game and wasn't planning on going because it was an afternoon game during the week.  I changed my plans and went down there after lunch.  I suspected they'd do something before the game.  

Of course they needed the feel good scene for the book deal.   Who plays you in the movie?

13 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Of course they needed the feel good scene for the book deal.   Who plays you in the movie?

Jim Belushi.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I was at the game as well.  Traditional Thursday day game.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Do you still have the mustard from that game?

• Thanks 2

That is a pretty cool piece of trivia.  MAY have been able to go in the random thread, but I do not mind this thread dying a fiery death in under 30 posts or so.  Either way is fine.

It IS one of those 'where were you moments though'...I recall it specifically and will probably always recall where I was and what I was doing while that game was going on.

Nostalgia.  Nothing is better...well maybe hope.

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

That is a pretty cool piece of trivia.  MAY have been able to go in the random thread, but I do not mind this thread dying a fiery death in under 30 posts or so.  Either way is fine.

It IS one of those 'where were you moments though'...I recall it specifically and will probably always recall where I was and what I was doing while that game was going on.

Nostalgia.  Nothing is better...well maybe hope.

Yeah, I will never forget where I was when I learned that Joyce couldn’t umpire any Galarraga games due to their book deal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Yeah, I will never forget where I was when I learned that Joyce couldn’t umpire any Galarraga games due to their book deal. 

Neither will I.... because I made a thread about it.  *checkmate*

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Neither will I.... because I made a thread about it.  *checkmate*

Well, it’s been about 8 years since I learned about it. Let’s revisit this again 8 years from now and see if you remember.