Jump to content

Sydney_Fife

Pistons sign Wayne Ellington, waive Ellenson

Recommended Posts


Ellenson signed a 10 day with the Knicks. Good opportunity for him to play some over the last 25 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 7:20 PM, LooseGoose said:

Another of SVG's mistakes erased.   He devastated this franchise.

I'd say he was a positive when it came to trades. The Jackson deal was a steal. The Harris deal was a steal. The Marcus Morris/Reggie Bullock turned out to be an absolute heist. Blake deal looks good. Bradley for Morris turned out horribly. Probably should've traded Greg Monroe instead of letting him walk for nothing.

Free agency was a mixed bag. Leuer wasn't an awful deal when it was signed, but he has sucked since the first part of his first year. Galloway has been atrocious. DJ Augustin and Ish Smith were good moves. 

The draft he gets a D from me. Kennard wasn't an awful pick. Dinwiddie was a good pick, he just gave up on him too soon. Ellenson was a non-lottery pick, so it wasn't that bad of a whiff. Still, he never even played. 

The biggest error he made was Stanley Johnson. He drafted him over Justice Winslow, Devin Booker, and Myles Turner. Winslow was the choice at the time and was the very next selection. It's not like we are using revisionist history here. That was an absolute bust of a pick. An F. That's 3 potential future all-stars we passed on.

All in all, SVG had a very success start to his tenure. They began year 1 with the 5-23, but they played .500 after Smith was waived. Got themselves a decent lotto pick, he just whiffed on it. The next year they made the playoffs. Year 3 and 4 were hampered by Jackson being hurt. I would bet the farm that SVG is still here and the Pistons are coming off 3 playoff appearances if Reggie Jackson never gets injured. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I'd say he was a positive when it came to trades. The Jackson deal was a steal. The Harris deal was a steal. The Marcus Morris/Reggie Bullock turned out to be an absolute heist. Blake deal looks good. Bradley for Morris turned out horribly. Probably should've traded Greg Monroe instead of letting him walk for nothing.

Free agency was a mixed bag. Leuer wasn't an awful deal when it was signed, but he has sucked since the first part of his first year. Galloway has been atrocious. DJ Augustin and Ish Smith were good moves. 

The draft he gets a D from me. Kennard wasn't an awful pick. Dinwiddie was a good pick, he just gave up on him too soon. Ellenson was a non-lottery pick, so it wasn't that bad of a whiff. Still, he never even played. 

The biggest error he made was Stanley Johnson. He drafted him over Justice Winslow, Devin Booker, and Myles Turner. Winslow was the choice at the time and was the very next selection. It's not like we are using revisionist history here. That was an absolute bust of a pick. An F. That's 3 potential future all-stars we passed on.

All reasonable arguments except for the Blake deal.   It was atrocious.

Locked us into salary cap ****.  Cost us Tobias, Boban, Miles Bridges and one more pick still to be made.

I don't think there was a market for Monroe so I really don't blame him for that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

All reasonable arguments except for the Blake deal.   It was atrocious.

Locked us into salary cap ****.  Cost us Tobias, Boban, Miles Bridges and one more pick still to be made.

I don't think there was a market for Monroe so I really don't blame him for that.

 

 

It "cost the Pistons a year of Tobias Harris, Boban, and a future second"

Huh?

Tobias Harris is going to get overpaid. Boban is a backup center. And a future second?

Yeah, it stunk to lose Bridges. He'd be our starting SF. But he and a 1 year rental of Harris before having to overpay him? For a star player like Blake? What were the Pistons going to do with that salary cap room? Overpay average FA's? Keep it and suck?

I am not a fan of Harris. Can't defend. Can't rebound. Disappears in crunch time. That would've been a disastrous contract for the Pistons. Paying Blake a max deal is fine when he's playing the way he's playing. Don't whiff on FA's and draft picks and this is a 50 win contender.

I am totally fine with the move. It's the other pieces around him that suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the Blake deal wasn't Blake (who's been absolutely incredible and a joy to watch) or even the trade itself. The problem was the timing at the end of all the other terrible moves. Getting a 28 year old All-Star does you no good when you have a bad fitting team around him and very little room to make the team better (no cap, no good picks, tough contracts to trade). It essentially nailed the coffin shut on moving this team in either direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 11:51 AM, Betrayer said:

The problem with the Blake deal wasn't Blake (who's been absolutely incredible and a joy to watch) or even the trade itself. The problem was the timing at the end of all the other terrible moves. Getting a 28 year old All-Star does you no good when you have a bad fitting team around him and very little room to make the team better (no cap, no good picks, tough contracts to trade). It essentially nailed the coffin shut on moving this team in either direction.

I agree, but they weren’t going to rebuild anyway. So why not get a star and try your luck? Gores wanted to win. They weren’t going to tear it down. It was the best move they could’ve made given the owner’s mandate. 

Best move for their future was to make the deal the Clippers did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep finding myself referring to Wayne as "Duke" in my head, and I cannot forgive myself for it.  Its just like giving someone with the last name of "Holiday" the nickname of "Doc".  Just terrible and lazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Casimir said:

I keep finding myself referring to Wayne as "Duke" in my head, and I cannot forgive myself for it.  Its just like giving someone with the last name of "Holiday" the nickname of "Doc".  Just terrible and lazy.

But is that because hatred of B10 commissioner WAYNE DUKE is seared into your psyche like it is for the rest of us; or because John WAYNE was DUKE; or because Edward Kennedy ELLINGTON was the DUKE of the Jazz/Swing era? I think your brain has grounds in this case.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 8:51 AM, Gehringer_2 said:

But is that because hatred of B10 commissioner WAYNE DUKE is seared into your psyche like it is for the rest of us; or because John WAYNE was DUKE; or because Edward Kennedy ELLINGTON was the DUKE of the Jazz/Swing era? I think your brain has grounds in this case.....

There's one Duke.  There's one The Duke.  Everyone else is a fraud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, weaselpuppy said:

So, Stankry J and Kennard instead of Winslow and Donovan Mitchell.

 

Ugh.

The immediate next pick is what makes it so bad.

Kennard will be solid, but Stanley sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, weaselpuppy said:

So, Stankry J and Kennard instead of Winslow and Donovan Mitchell.

 

Ugh.

Mitchell is exciting, but I don't see star ability in him right now. It can certainly develop, but he is a bit of a chucker who doesn't shoot with great efficiency. Would definitely want him over Kennard, but I think people are overhyping how good he is based on his rookie season. 

Also, I do think Kennard has 6MOY potential next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go back and forth on Booker.  His shooting has cratered this year, 32% from three.  For his career he only shoots 35% from three.  League average for guys with > 3 attempts per game is over 36% so he isn't even league average.  

His defense makes Reggie Jackson look like a lock down defender.  He scores a lot of points, which is probably just a byproduct of having the ball a lot on a terrible team.  He does get to the line at a decent clip.  But for a guy who is supposed to be a great shooter, he isn't a very good shooter.  

Still better than SJ tho.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall wanting Winslow on draft night. He has really turned himself into a nice player.

Just shows how woeful Stanley is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I go back and forth on Booker.  His shooting has cratered this year, 32% from three.  For his career he only shoots 35% from three.  League average for guys with > 3 attempts per game is over 36% so he isn't even league average.  

His defense makes Reggie Jackson look like a lock down defender.  He scores a lot of points, which is probably just a byproduct of having the ball a lot on a terrible team.  He does get to the line at a decent clip.  But for a guy who is supposed to be a great shooter, he isn't a very good shooter.  

Still better than SJ tho.  

It also seems that he rubs a lot of guys the wrong way. I get the sense guys don't exactly like playing with him (multiple issues with Ayton this season). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I recall wanting Winslow on draft night. He has really turned himself into a nice player.

Just shows how woeful Stanley is.

Winslow still has room to grow and he is a solid player. But he can't seem to stay healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I recall wanting Winslow on draft night. He has really turned himself into a nice player.

Just shows how woeful Stanley is.

Brick Johnson was bad, yet he was infinitely better than Ellenson -- the worst 1st round pick the Pistons have made since Darko.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Euphdude said:

Brick Johnson was bad, yet he was infinitely better than Ellenson -- the worst 1st round pick the Pistons have made since Darko.

He was the 18 pick in the draft. That is extreme hyperbole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 313DetroitCity said:

He was the 18 pick in the draft. That is extreme hyperbole. 

It was a bad pick. Drafting a white guy from Wisconsin named "Henry" is always a bad pick.

But I agree, you can't really call him much of a bust when he was drafted so low. Plenty of non-lotto picks that have been non-factors in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 313DetroitCity said:

He was the 18 pick in the draft. That is extreme hyperbole. 

Which 1st round pick between Darko and Ellenson ended up being worse?  Off hand I can't think of anyone -- I'll have to do some poking around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Detroit Pistons draft history (1st round picks 2003 - 2018)

2003 Darko Milicic

2005 Jason Maxiel

2007 Rodney Stuckey and Aaron Afflalo

2008 DJ White

2009 Austin Daye

2010 Greg Monroe

2011 Brandon Knight

2012 Andre Drummond

2013 KCP

2015 Brick Johnson

2016 Henry Ellenson

2017 Luke Kennard

Based on the evidence presented, I stand by my statement that Ellenson is the worst 1st round pick of the Pistons since Darko.  DJ White was bad but he was traded on draft day to Oklahoma City. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,734
    • Total Posts
      2,934,718
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...