Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Pistons trade Stanley Johnson for Thon Maker

This would make me smile. Get Stanley out of here and get a Center to give you more leeway to move Dre (if Gores ever let's them).

Maker is under contract for next season. Stanley isn’t. 

Another move for the future. Maker will be 22 and has some sick physical tools. It will be interesting to see how they work him in

Maker is awful, but thats what you get when you trade an awful player like SJ.

I still remember draft night when everyone was so high on him.

contractors all over the detroit area are scrambling now as the most prolific brick layer in the area is no longer available.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Buddha said:

contractors all over the detroit area are scrambling now as the most prolific brick layer in the area is no longer available.

You win this thread.

Pros: I don't have to see Stanley play any more 

Cons: I'm still watching the Pistons 

• Thanks 1

i wonder if theyre building up for a bigger deal or just moving pieces around to save money and/or give their young wings (kennard, thornton, and now svi) more playing time?

moving stanley makes sense as he isnt very good and the pistons lack of other shooting makes stanley's biggest weakness (brick laying) even more of a problem so that they cant properly take advantage of his strength (defense).  but for maker?  what does this team need with a skinny 7 foot guy who is bad on offense and has potential on defense when they have drummond and zaza and leuer?

are they looking to next year with maker as part of the bigs rotation?  could be.

Vincent Ellis just said it was unlikely the Pistons offer SJ the QO this summer.  

If you offer a guy the QO he becomes restricted and you can match any offer to keep him.  If you dont offer it to him, he is unrestricted and you don't have the right to match an offer.

Basically, the Pistons thought as much of SJ as we do.  

Well, it's something although they probably got a worse player than Stanley if that was at all possible.

I think Stanley will be a good fit in Milwaukee as long as they limit his shooting. He could be their Tony Allen

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i wonder if theyre building up for a bigger deal or just moving pieces around to save money and/or give their young wings (kennard, thornton, and now svi) more playing time?

moving stanley makes sense as he isnt very good and the pistons lack of other shooting makes stanley's biggest weakness (brick laying) even more of a problem so that they cant properly take advantage of his strength (defense).  but for maker?  what does this team need with a skinny 7 foot guy who is bad on offense and has potential on defense when they have drummond and zaza and leuer?

are they looking to next year with maker as part of the bigs rotation?  could be.

Both moves are about obtaining really cheap players for next season.  Their cap situation is so jacked up this is what it has come to.

Next year they are $111.8M committed with only about half a roster and maybe six or seven rotation guys.  Being over the cap they can only use the MLE and maybe the bi-annual exception to sign guys, then the rest are signed via the vet minimum.  

Basically, they needed Svi and Maker to fill out next years roster in a very cheap way.

I hate Stanley Johnson so I am biased. But I really like this deal. Johnson was going to be gone. Can’t pay a guy that can’t score. 

Maker will be 22 this month. Reunites with Sweeney, who was with him in Milwaukee. He’s under contract for next season. Can backup Drummond. 

Two negatives nobody is talking about with SJ gone.

We are really going to miss his play every 18th game when he would show up.

Our Drew League team just lost a lot of talent.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

We are really going to miss his play every 18th game when he would show up.

Dwane Casey has been most unimpressive with this team and its player development.

Just now, Euphdude said:

Dwane Casey has been most unimpressive with this team and its player development.

Can’t make chicken salad out of chicken ****. 

Just now, Sydney_Fife said:

Can’t make chicken salad out of chicken ****. 

Agreed, but that what he was hired to do.  SVG would likely be doing as good a job right now.

2 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Agreed, but that what he was hired to do.  SVG would likely be doing as good a job right now.

SVG was fine as a coach. Casey is too. SVG was just an absolute disaster as a GM. And we are paying for it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sydney_Fife said:

SVG was fine as a coach. Casey is too. SVG was just an absolute disaster as a GM. And we are paying for it. 

Couldn't agree more.  We're also paying for Gores lack of vision.