LooseGoose

2019 Bold Predictions Thread

35 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Alex Wilson will settle for a minor league deal and start the season riding the bus in the international league. 

He did. For Cleveland. But you didn't say it would be Toledo. 

Matt Moore will pitch his way out of the rotation before May.

Shane Greene will have 20 saves and a 120 ERA+ and be moved in July.

Casey MIze will undergo Tommy John surgery and be out until August, 2020.

Niko Goodrum will make his way back to Toledo before the All-Star break.

Christin Stewart will finish second in the vote for AL Rookie of the Year.

Jay Sartori will leave the Tigers front office shortly after the season. 

Miguel Cabrera will start the September 29 game against the White Sox at first base. 

Bold Predictions:

Jordan Zimmerman has his best year as a Tiger and is traded to the Nationals

JaCoby Jones will hit over .265 with 18 home runs

By Opening Day I'll still be sick from eating at Applebee's 

On 2/10/2019 at 6:24 PM, chasfh said:

Matt Moore will pitch his way out of the rotation before May.

Predicting that he pitches his way into the rotation before heading north is a bolder prediction.

7 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Predicting that he pitches his way into the rotation before heading north is a bolder prediction.

It's Gardenhire, of course Moore has a rotation spot.  

37 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

It's Gardenhire, of course Moore has a rotation spot.  

I’m not convinced.

I think that if Gardenhire showed resistance, there would be pressure to still start Moore to give him every chance to rack up stats for a deadline trade.

That said, unless Moore completely poops himself on the mound, I don't think there will be much resistance. Gardy knows what time it is in the Tigers front office.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think that if Gardenhire showed resistance, there would be pressure to still start Moore to give him every chance to rack up stats for a deadline trade.

That said, unless Moore completely poops himself on the mound, I don't think there will be much resistance. Gardy knows what time it is in the Tigers front office.

We’ll see. I don’t necessarily believe that Moore was brought in to be in the rotation and then flipped. I think his role at the moment is as the swing man and injury fill in. I don’t think anyone in the org expects him to become a trade chip. 

Ross, on the other hand, is the guy I think they hope does enough to be a trade chip. 

All things being equal (and healthy), fulmer and Zimmerman and Boyd and Ross and Norris are probably the guys they are hoping are in the rotation. 

That said, if Norris flat out sucks, I don’t think they hesitate to bump him if Moore is pitching well enough. 

I am going to boldly predict that Ross is their best pitcher in the first half and they get a decent return for him.   

Castellanos will not be traded all year and hit 30 home runs.

Cabrera will have 450 PA and a .900 OPS.  

Reed Garrett will lead Tigers relievers in ERA and WHIP.

Jacoby Jones will be just as bad as last year offensively and his defensive numbers will regress.  

Matt Moore will end up in the bullpen after a few horrible starts in April.  

Greiner will be horrible and end up in the minors.  

Farmer and Verhagen will be awful and people will act surprised.  

All their second basemen will be so bad that Brandon Dixon will claim the job by June.  

25 minutes ago, Shelton said:

We’ll see. I don’t necessarily believe that Moore was brought in to be in the rotation and then flipped. I think his role at the moment is as the swing man and injury fill in. I don’t think anyone in the org expects him to become a trade chip. 

Ross, on the other hand, is the guy I think they hope does enough to be a trade chip. 

All things being equal (and healthy), fulmer and Zimmerman and Boyd and Ross and Norris are probably the guys they are hoping are in the rotation. 

That said, if Norris flat out sucks, I don’t think they hesitate to bump him if Moore is pitching well enough. 

Avila's statement when he was signed Moore played him up as a veteran LH starter with three solid pitches and the ability to use the whole strike zone effectively. That sounds to me like they're going to give him every chance to start, so I'm going to stay out on my limb on that one, previous caveat notwithstanding. 

I think their hoped-for rotation going in is Zimmermann, Fulmer, Boyd, Ross, and Moore, with Norris stepping in as needed. I think Norris would have to outpitch Moore by a comfortable margin to win the #5 slot.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Avila's statement when he was signed Moore played him up as a veteran LH starter with three solid pitches and the ability to use the whole strike zone effectively. That sounds to me like they're going to give him every chance to start, so I'm going to stay out on my limb on that one, previous caveat notwithstanding. 

I think their hoped-for rotation going in is Zimmermann, Fulmer, Boyd, Ross, and Moore, with Norris stepping in as needed. I think Norris would have to outpitch Moore by a comfortable margin to win the #5 slot.

Sure, but what else is he going to say? If we are lucky we can see how this all plays out and which one of us is proven correct. 

when the tigers signed Ross, Avila sort of lumped them together and said they needed depth based on injury concerns for their starters. Fulmer, Zimmermann, and Norris are all injury risks. So talking up a guy’s ability to be a starter doesn’t mean a whole lot to me. Of course they would want a guy they think can be a starter. 

We are simply on opposite sides of Moore/Norris situation. I think Moore needs to significantly outpitch Norris to claim the spot, barring injuries of course. 

I think Moore starts the year in the bullpen if everybody is healthy.  I don't think the odds of that are particularly high given the histories of most of their starters.  

Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if the tigers used a six man rotation if everyone is healthy. 

Bold prediction: the tigers use a 7-man rotation including Blaine hardy. 

2018 Spring Training stats:

Fulmer - 2.12 ERA

Liriano - 2.25 ERA

Boyd - 3.42 ERA

Norris - 3.86 ERA

Zimmermann - 5.00 ERA

Fiers - 9.53 ERA

I don't think Spring Training means anything.  I think Gardenhire has already made up his mind on who is in the rotation and I think it includes Moore based on experience.

Zimmermann was the opening day starting pitcher instead of Fulmer...because experience.

Fiers was in the rotation over Norris despite pitching better in ST...because experience.

Moore will win a rotation spot over Norris...because experience.  

9 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

2018 Spring Training stats:

Fulmer - 2.12 ERA

Liriano - 2.25 ERA

Boyd - 3.42 ERA

Norris - 3.86 ERA

Zimmermann - 5.00 ERA

Fiers - 9.53 ERA

I don't think Spring Training means anything.  I think Gardenhire has already made up his mind on who is in the rotation and I think it includes Moore based on experience.

Zimmermann was the opening day starting pitcher instead of Fulmer...because experience.

Fiers was in the rotation over Norris despite pitching better in ST...because experience.

Moore will win a rotation spot over Norris...because experience.  

This is the bold predictions thread, not the irrationally cynical thread. 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Farmer and Verhagen will be awful and people will act surprised.   

But they'll pitch well in late August and into September and everyone will talk about how they've turned the corner.   Ryan Raburn and Tony Clark will be in awe.................

The Tigers will debut something called Coney Island Pizza at Comerica concessions.  It will consist of a Little Caesar’s pizza topped with chili, onions, and mustard.   

It will taste as bad as it sounds.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The Tigers will debut something called Coney Island Pizza at Comerica concessions.  It will consist of a Little Caesar’s pizza topped with chili, onions, and mustard.   

Did the analytics department have anything to do with this?

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I believe this already happened like 5 years ago. 

11 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

After hitting zero homeruns in 30 games last season, Grayson Greiner will lead the Tigers in homeruns with 29.

All but one will be inside the park

1 minute ago, mightytyke said:

Cameron will go north with the team to start the year. 

I would be pretty happy about this for more than one reason.