Gehringer_2

February 2019 Game Thread

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I can't wait until the Howard and Nyquist trades come over the wire.

I don't think Howard is going anywhere.  The Wings would be truly awful without him, and Holland isn't that committed to the Lose to Choose Hughes campaign.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

A second round pick + a prospect for Jensen is amazing . Even I can say nice job Kenny.

Bowey looks terrible, but I'm happy with just the 2nd round pick tbh

3 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I don't think Howard is going anywhere.  The Wings would be truly awful without him, and Holland isn't that committed to the Lose to Choose Hughes campaign.

Then he is committed to the wrong game plan. Someone needs to ask Holland where he's going to get a talent as good as Jack Hughes in the next couple of seasons, because free agency isn't the way and he won't be stumbling upon another late round Zetterberg or Datsyuk. #LoseForHughes

1 minute ago, drownwithyou said:

Bowey looks terrible, but I'm happy with just the 2nd round pick tbh

Hopefully Bowey is flipped in the forthcoming Nyquist trade.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Then he is committed to the wrong game plan. Someone needs to ask Holland where he's going to get a talent as good as Jack Hughes in the next couple of seasons, because free agency isn't the way and he won't be stumbling upon another late round Zetterberg or Datsyuk. #LoseForHughes

I'm with you.  Unfortunately we are talking about Ken "less can be more exciting" Holland.

Just trade Jimmy, just trade Gus, draft Jack Hughes, that won't bother us! Maybe I should go outside of LCA and start chanting with a semi-angry mob?

they don't have any young goaltending and howard would probably sign a short term deal for short money. i don't think you're going to get much for him anyway.

14 minutes ago, kdog said:

they don't have any young goaltending and howard would probably sign a short term deal for short money. i don't think you're going to get much for him anyway.

That's the point, they would be god awful without Howie and would put them in better position for Jack Hughes this year and someone like Quinton Byfield, Lucas Raymond, Alex Holtz, Jamie Drysdale, etc. in 2020

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Hopefully Bowey is flipped in the forthcoming Nyquist trade.

I'm guessing this is a McIllrath situation for GR next year, looking at his regular and fancy stats I can't imagine someone is going to take him on waivers. 

I am not really happy they traded Nick.   I thought he was a very solid defenseman.     To me, he's the kind of guy they'd be looking to sign next year anyway.  So why not keep him?    Oh well, they can always sign him back I guess. 

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oh well, they can always sign him back I guess. 

He already signed an extension in Washington

10 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Finally getting down to a game next week on Tuesday versus Les Canadians. Does anyone know where Kenny sits so I can go up to him and tell him what a horrible job he's done?

Am I the only one who pictures Tater like this?

v1.bTsxMTI5MTI3MztqOzE4MDQwOzEyMDA7OTAwO

Wings lose in regulation 3-2 to Minnesota.  Bertuzzi and Mantha with the goals, Larkin with 2 assists.

5 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

I'm guessing this is a McIllrath situation for GR next year, looking at his regular and fancy stats I can't imagine someone is going to take him on waivers. 

Really? What I'm reading has him rated better than that. A project sure, was overhyped in the past, and now is stuck behind others in Washington. But he played 51 games for the eventual Cup champion last year and is only 23. That puts him way ahead of McIllrath, IMO.  If this trade was made just this past summer, I could see it having been done almost straight up. 

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Wings lose in regulation 3-2 to Minnesota.  Bertuzzi and Mantha with the goals, Larkin with 2 assists.

Didnt like seeing what looked like the trainer relocating Larkin’s left shoulder after the fall he took. 

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Really? What I'm reading has him rated better than that. A project sure, was overhyped in the past, and now is stuck behind others in Washington. But he played 51 games for the eventual Cup champion last year and is only 23. That puts him way ahead of McIllrath, IMO.  If this trade was made just this past summer, I could see it having been done almost straight up. 

I've yet to read a positive report on him from any source that's Capitals related.  Everything I've read has pointed towards negative regression since he was drafted in....2013.  It might be bias, but everything I read about him screams a less talented Sproul to me.  Plus he's been pretty dreadful this year:

His minutes this year put him firmly in the press box for the Capitals, and he was passed by a few later round picks like Djoos

The players weren't traded for each other even up. It's understood that Bowey is a project, (=talented but dumb) and at least he is coming to a team with a coach who is supposed to have strong developmental cred - assuming he isn't slated for GR anyway.....

While losing Jensen doesn't bother me because I don't think he was that guy, I would like to see the Wings find another older Dman for next season who is sound fundamentally but may be on the downside to where he is not hugely expensive, just to have around to play along side of/mentor Cholowski/Hronek/Bowey etc. (assuming Kronwall is going to hang them up - which I hope he does). No matter how good the coaching it has to help to be out there with a  sound player who knows what he is doing -- you can only spread Green around so far.

14 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

I've yet to read a positive report on him from any source that's Capitals related.  Everything I've read has pointed towards negative regression since he was drafted in....2013.  It might be bias, but everything I read about him screams a less talented Sproul to me. 

Bowey will be our new Mike Green.