Gehringer_2

February 2019 Game Thread

16 hours ago, lordstanley said:

That summer the Red Wings signed:

- Carlos Colaicavo 

- Kyle Quincey (the Wings had acquired Quincey at that deadline on an expiring contract in exchange for a 1st round pick that turned out to be goalie Andrei Vasilevksi)

- Jordin Tootoo 

- Mikael Samuelsson

- Jonas Gustavsson

- Damien Brunner

Quotes from Holland at the tiem:

We’ve got lot of cap space and we wanted to get our organization deeper. "

“We tried to bring some kids along and some haven’t come along like we had hoped."

“With Damien Brunner, with Samuelsson and Todd Bertuzzi and a healthy Danny Cleary, we’re hoping that with the development of the kids we're getting a lot of bodies .”

Also a quote from Kenny during the 2013 season . . .

"This is a men's league. Kid's aren't the answer."

Nashville outskating the Wings badly early - Howard standing on his head to keep the score nil. Athanasiou with another futile breakaway.

wings sooo soft on the their PP defense - give up the tying goad in the 2nd after getting out to a 2-0 lead.

they miss Bertuzzi's energy.

The hilarious part of this is the Wings think they are instilling some kind of winning culture by playing their vets. They're going to lose most nights no matter what so how does that reinforce any kind of culture when the process doesn't get any results? They're playing to a base that doesn't exist:

DETROIT – Dennis Cholowski got off to a strong start in his rookie season with the Detroit Red Wings but hasn’t been as effective in recent weeks, particularly defensively.

Cholowski is scheduled to be a healthy scratch tonight against the Ottawa Senators at Little Caesars Arena (7:30, Fox Sports Detroit) – for the second game in a row and the fourth time in the past nine games.

Trevor Daley’s return from a broken foot gives the Red Wings a healthy defense.

Coach Jeff Blashill explained after the morning skate why Cholowski is the odd-man out, at least for tonight.

“I think one of the things Cholo has had to learn is how to continue to get better on the defensive side of the puck,” Blashill said. “It’s a hard league to outscore your mistakes. I think he has improved in certain areas. I talked to him about the biggest things probably being recognizing danger and having urgency in those situations. I think one of the best attributes he has is he’s calm. But like anybody in life, usually what you’re great at can be one of your weaknesses and one of his weaknesses is sometimes he can be too calm.”

Cholowski, who turns 21 on Friday, has gone eight games without a point and has just four points (three goals, an assist) in his past 30 games. He had four goals and 12 points in his first 22 games.

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2019/02/why-red-wings-jeff-blashill-will-sit-dennis-cholowski-again.html

Wings up on Ottawa 3-2 at the end of 2. Teams appear uninterested, fans sitting on their hands. Some baaad hockey being played tonight.

5 hours ago, kdog said:

The hilarious part of this is the Wings think they are instilling some kind of winning culture by playing their vets. They're going to lose most nights no matter what so how does that reinforce any kind of culture when the process doesn't get any results? They're playing to a base that doesn't exist:

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2019/02/why-red-wings-jeff-blashill-will-sit-dennis-cholowski-again.html

I'm not sure if the reason to sit Cholowski is because they're playing to win. 

I think it's obvious Cholowski needs a break - whether that's a rest in the press box, different matchups, or a stint in Grand Rapids. He clearly hit the wall after Christmas. Not a huge shock and I'm not too concerned.

15 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

With 2 goals tonight, AA has hit career highs in goals (20) and points (37).

trade him now for a solid defenseman prospect.

13 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

With 2 goals tonight, AA has hit career highs in goals (20) and points (37).

Frustrating player. Even on a night when he gets the light on, he spent too much time playing his own one on five game.

I can forgive anyone watching this game for thinking maybe the Zambonis had gone out of commission. The ice in Detroit has never been suspect going all the way back to Olympia but you wouldn't know it  tonight the way neither team could make a pass. 

11 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I think it's obvious Cholowski needs a break - whether that's a rest in the press box, different matchups, or a stint in Grand Rapids. He clearly hit the wall after Christmas. Not a huge shock and I'm not too concerned.

one of the old guys will get hurt within the next week. Hopefully Hronek gets the next call.

16 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Smart to send him down with Frk, he's definitely looking a little over his head at this point.

Wings recall Hronek...with back to back games he will play.

Wings trailed 3-1 after 2 this afternoon in Philly. I'm a few minutes late coming back from the 2nd intermission and in the meantime 4 goals were scored in the opening 3 1/2 minutes. 5-3 Philadelphia. Now I'm going to take a shower. Who knows what will be the score by the time I get out. 

Two goals by Mantha, including the tying goal with 7 seconds to go in regulation, complete the 4-goal stormback by the Wings. 5-5 headed to OT.

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Two goals by Mantha, including the tying goal with 7 seconds to go in regulation, complete the 4-goal stormback by the Wings. 5-5 headed to OT.

strange overtime. It almost looked like the Flyers were just trying to sit on the puck and play for the shoot out - whatever they had planned it lulled the Wings into a lapse and then BOOM. But aside from the OT the Wings have been getting worse in their own zone - no-one is covering anyone - I don't know if at this point they have all subtly bought into the fact that there no point in winning games anymore so they only interested in the offensive side now......

Nice to see Bertuzzi back - he is the straw that stirs the drink for this team.

Sunday's rematch a totally crazy game. Wings had a month's worth of great scoring chances - esp the Larkin line. Bertuzzi Larkin and Mantha consistently gave the flyers all they could handle. Puck just would not go in the net, and it wasn't even that so many great saves were being made - the wing just couldn't get shots off on prime set-ups. Meanwhile  Philly scored its first when DeKeyser failed to close out his man at the corner on  a rush, allowed him to go free behind the net for the scoring play. Then the second when DeKeyser couldn't clear his man in front of Howard and the goal scored on a long screened shot. Ericsson was a scratch after an unimpressive game yesterday. Hronek played hard in his place - Kronwall looked tired. The blue line crew  guarantees their pick. 

Anaheim, Florida and New Jersey all win. The Wings are tied for 4th worst in the NHL in points. But when you consider that the Wings have played one more game than NJ who is tied with them, have played two more games than Edmonton a point behind the Wings and have played two more games than LA Kings two points behind the Wings, I'd say the Wings have the 2nd or 3rd worst record in the league. Only Ottawa - 5 points back of the Wings but with 2 games in hand - clearly has a worse record than the Wings.

Holland said the team is headed in the right direction but needs to get more competitive. He said fans have been patient, but “we got to give them a better product.”

“A big part of that has got to be through young players, but those young players need to be complemented with veteran players that help make us more competitive,” Holland said. “Do I trade players for future assets? Do you keep piling on the future assets and trade players away knowing that you probably won’t get them back and that’s going to affect your ability to compete in ’19-20?

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2019/02/red-wings-weighing-whether-to-sign-or-trade-as-deadline-looms.html

Sign Howard because you don't have any young goaltending. That is fine. Fans don't are about a better product. They would rather take a few more steps back because they want a great product. You have the 3rd oldest team in the league and the 2nd highest payroll. Why would you double down on this team because it would be hard to build back to it? It has no trajectory at all.

23. Last year, Detroit GM Ken Holland waited everyone out and got three picks for Tomas Tatar. Tatar had term, unlike many of the Red Wings trade options this time around, but Holland’s using a similar playbook. He’s patient, creating the impression he’s happy to keep guys rather than deal them. Chris Johnston did report the Red Wings asked Gustav Nyquist if there was a list of teams he’d consider. Martin Frk, who just cleared waivers, might get a new home, too.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-stealth-suitor-emerge-matt-duchene/

LOL -Lose for Hughes continues. Wings come out against the Hawks and immediately the Larkin line carries the play. Then Hronek and Daley turn around and combine to give up a bad goal after only a couple of minutes. 

Larkin Bertuzzi Mantha line becoming a real force. Get the Wings back to even on their second shift.