Gehringer_2

February 2019 Game Thread

Not getting great goal-tending either.

BTW, I hope someone taped Patrick Kane for Athanasiou. That is how you score on a break away - don't hold the puck too long!

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The Wings seem to be playing very uninspired hockey right now.

Seems to happen about this time the last few seasons. 

Always hurts to lose to the Hawks, but good loss nonetheless.  

Doing what has to be done.

58 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Always hurts to lose to the Hawks, but good loss nonetheless.  

Doing what has to be done.

as long as they are playing three to four D-men every night (/day)who can't make a good outlet pass, there is little danger that the team can turn around based only on the improvement of the young forward core. Add to that poor commitment to back checking today and they got their loss.

Still, they are a much more entertaining to watch bad team than the bad teams of the pre-Yzerman era.

That is partly (mostly) due to the game being more entertaining today versus then.

The league is more competitive / evenly balanced top to bottom as well.

This season is also a bit more palatable because the young players are really the ones producing scoring in the forward group. Unfortunately, their cap charges are going to increase and we still have the slugs who continue to get unfettered ice time like Abdelkader, Nielsen, and Helm. You have to move a guy like Glendening just to clear some salary and give them team some flexibility. But I'm guessing they will opt for maintaining culture and trying to gun for the playoffs next year. It's very short sighted but whatever.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

This season is also a bit more palatable because the young players are really the ones producing scoring in the forward group. Unfortunately, their cap charges are going to increase and we still have the slugs who continue to get unfettered ice time like Abdelkader, Nielsen, and Helm. You have to move a guy like Glendening just to clear some salary and give them team some flexibility. But I'm guessing they will opt for maintaining culture and trying to gun for the playoffs next year. It's very short sighted but whatever.

I think by next season it's going to be hard to stay in full tank mode, so I don't see another top 5 pick coming - well maybe unless the goaltending collapses. So making a low playoff berth and falling a few spots in the mid-range of the draft would be the inevitable progression. I think the pivot for the Wings will be major free agent blue line signings. The question is which season will the team decide it's time to make them. I wouldn't argue next year is probably too soon, but maybe not the year after that.

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The question is which season will the team decide it's time to make them.

And which GM is making that decision, which if it's Holland my expectations aren't too high.

27 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think by next season it's going to be hard to stay in full tank mode, so I don't see another top 5 pick coming - well maybe unless the goaltending collapses. So making a low playoff berth and falling a few spots in the mid-range of the draft would be the inevitable progression. I think the pivot for the Wings will be major free agent blue line signings. The question is which season will the team decide it's time to make them. I wouldn't argue next year is probably too soon, but maybe not the year after that.

I don't think a lot of blue chip d get to the market in their prime years. They'll have to develop.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think by next season it's going to be hard to stay in full tank mode, so I don't see another top 5 pick coming - well maybe unless the goaltending collapses.

All it takes is a Howard injury.

2 goals for Veleno over the weekend. Tied the game in the third and picked up the OT winner.
He's up to 35 goals, 45 assists/80 points in 43 games.

McIsaac scored too for Halifax against Cape Breton and put 5 shots on goal.
12 goals, 31 assists/43 points in 37 games for McIsaac so far thus season.

(HF Boards)

Zadina has 3 goals, 2 assists in his last six games

Hronek has 3 goals, 3 assists in his last five games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

All it takes is a Howard injury.

Someone call Tonya Harding.

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

Someone call Tonya Harding.

Wasn't it Jensen falling into him that gave him his last big injury?  Maybe he can do the job before he's traded.

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

There's one school of thought that by making big free agent signings this year or next, the cap is manageable because guys like Larkin, AA, Rasmussen, Cholowski, Hronek, Veleno, Zadina, 2019 top 5 are still on either entry level contracts or relatively favourable ones. Whereas if you wait 4-5 years, it might be hard to afford free agent signings under the cap then anyways as your draft picks come of my age $-wise. Without making a splash this July 1, I can see the Wings next year being like the Canucks this year - on the fringes of playoff contention, drafting around #12 if they miss or around #17 if they make. So if that is the only difference, why not consider opening the check book for upgrades. 

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

There's one school of thought that by making big free agent signings this year or next, the cap is manageable .

Interesting take. And of course KDog is right that just because you decide to be in the market doesn't mean what you want to buy is there or you can close the deal - so I guess the team can plan all they want but if a guy becomes available that is the right fit, the plan MAY have to get flexible.

13 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Interesting take. And of course KDog is right that just because you decide to be in the market doesn't mean what you want to buy is there or you can close the deal - so I guess the team can plan all they want but if a guy becomes available that is the right fit, the plan MAY have to get flexible.

I wouldn't mind trying but only if the goal is home runs or triples. When they lost out on Suter, they could have just pocketed the money and waited for the next great opportunity, rather than burning it on C-level players. Same with going for Frans Nielsen when they couldn't get Stamkos. Erik Karlsson is at least an interesting concept.

I wouldn't mind trying but only if the goal is home runs or triples. When they lost out on Suter, they could have just pocketed the money and waited for the next great opportunity, rather than burning it on C-level players. Same with going for Frans Nielsen when they couldn't get Stamkos. Erik Karlsson is at least an interesting concept.

I hope/think unspent salary won't burn quite the hole in Chris Ilitch's pocket that it did in Mike's.

When they lost out on Suter, they could have just pocketed the money and waited for the next great opportunity, rather than burning it on C-level players.

Who the heck did they even end up getting?  I'm trying to recall and I'm coming up with nothing.

7 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

McIsaac scored too for Halifax against Cape Breton and put 5 shots on goal.
12 goals, 31 assists/43 points in 37 games for McIsaac so far thus season.

Add two more assists from tonight for Jared.  Also, plan the 2023 Stanley Cup Parade!

2 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

Who the heck did they even end up getting?  I'm trying to recall and I'm coming up with nothing.

That summer the Red Wings signed:

- Carlos Colaicavo 

- Kyle Quincey (the Wings had acquired Quincey at that deadline on an expiring contract in exchange for a 1st round pick that turned out to be goalie Andrei Vasilevksi)

- Jordin Tootoo 

- Mikael Samuelsson

- Jonas Gustavsson

- Damien Brunner

Quotes from Holland at the tiem:

We’ve got lot of cap space and we wanted to get our organization deeper. "

“We tried to bring some kids along and some haven’t come along like we had hoped."

“With Damien Brunner, with Samuelsson and Todd Bertuzzi and a healthy Danny Cleary, we’re hoping that with the development of the kids we're getting a lot of bodies .”

13 hours ago, lordstanley said:

That summer the Red Wings signed:

- Carlos Colaicavo 

- Kyle Quincey (the Wings had acquired Quincey at that deadline on an expiring contract in exchange for a 1st round pick that turned out to be goalie Andrei Vasilevksi)

- Jordin Tootoo 

- Mikael Samuelsson

- Jonas Gustavsson

- Damien Brunner

Quotes from Holland at the tiem:

We’ve got lot of cap space and we wanted to get our organization deeper. "

“We tried to bring some kids along and some haven’t come along like we had hoped."

“With Damien Brunner, with Samuelsson and Todd Bertuzzi and a healthy Danny Cleary, we’re hoping that with the development of the kids we're getting a lot of bodies .”

Thanks, I hate it.

16 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

Add two more assists from tonight for Jared.  Also, plan the 2023 Stanley Cup Parade!

QMJHL Defenseman Points/game:

D'Astous 1.20 (turns 21 in april)
Beaudin 1.18 (turns 20 in october)
McIsaac 1.18 (turns 19 in march) youngest defenceman of the scoring Top3...
--------- rest under 0.90 points per game

Never seen this:

Pronman was praising Regula earlier in the week, could be a sleeper for a bottom pairing guy in the future.