six-hopper

I want my Global Warming!

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Indiana's religious freedom bill allows for discrimination of homosexuals based on one's religion. Now educate me on how Whitmer can use legal force because she asked people to turn down their thermostat. 

Wow.  Not merely imprecise, but  backwards. 

The bill that you reference does not involve the government telling anyone to do anything.  By your own description, it merely allows people to "discriminate" -- presumably to refuse to accommodate or be an unwilling participant in something that interferes with their free exercise of religion (which is something that is part of our express  Constitutional law).  It does not mandate discrimination against homosexuals, and it certainly doesn't make being homosexual "illegal."  It is the sort of anti-discrimination law that was famously  unleashed on a Colorado bakery that actually tells people to do something -- i.e., that law purportedly told the bakery to accommodate the homosexual customers even though the bakery owner felt that to do so would violate his religious beliefs.

I haven't read the bill -- I will when I get around to it -- but I suspect that its focus is to protect private "discrimination" based on religious grounds -- such as was the subject of that Colorado bakery case (which the bakery won in the United States Supreme Court).  That is a very very far cry from making homosexuality illegal.

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Ahh.  OK.  She did it solely to get a rise out of getting people to react to her.

She is a natural gas troll.

People can go ahead and turn that thermostat up if they want.  And then scream and complain when they get a $600 heating bill.

3 hours ago, six-hopper said:

As a general rule, it is much easier to avoid an unwanted pregnancy than to avoid the consequences of jackbooted thugs banging down your door.  Just ask Roger Stone.

And I have no difficulty using public restrooms, except for having to rely on those stupid electric hand "dryers."

Hahahahaha yeah Stone sure did do everything humanly possible to keep the FBI away

So good bro. Thanks for that one

Electric hand dryers spray fecal air on your hands.  Hard pass.

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Someone sort of implicitly equated "Conservative Christians" ' opposition to abortion to police-state enforcement of the dictates of governments and their minions.  I observed that "Conservative Christians" don't have use-of-force mechanisms to enforce their desires, and that in any event avoiding an unwanted pregnancy is easier to do than avoiding the clutches of the forces of the state.  I'm sorry if that is hard for you to understand.

Trump said to Chris Matthews in the campaign women should be punished if they have an abortion.  Your post is false.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder if Whitmer tells people not to jump off the Mackinaw Bridge, will Trumpers jump off because they don't want to be told what to do by liberal elites? 

It's worth a try.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, pfife said:

Trump said to Chris Matthews in the campaign women should be punished if they have an abortion.  Your post is false.

No, my post accurately summarized an earlier exchange of posts.  Also, the potential consequences of having an abortion have nothing whatsoever to do with the ease of avoiding becoming pregnant.

Moreover, as an aside, I'm pretty sure that Donald Trump cannot fairly be described as a conservative Christian.

It’s going to be 50 on Monday so this thread worked. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

No, my post accurately summarized an earlier exchange of posts.  Also, the potential consequences of having an abortion have nothing whatsoever to do with the ease of avoiding becoming pregnant.

Moreover, as an aside, I'm pretty sure that Donald Trump cannot fairly be described as a conservative Christian.

Cool but he still said it and it's contrary to what you said but cool words

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

Cool but he still said it and it's contrary to what you said but cool words

Where exactly did I say anything about Donald Trump's statements about abortion, or for that matter about the potential consequences of abortion or about anyone's desire to impose such consequences?  My statement was about the relative ease of preventing pregnancy, which, again, says nothing about abortion.   And the ,fact that Donald Trump may have said something about abortion is not in the least  contrary to anything I have said.

33 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

He is whatever his supporters want him to be.  

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Someone sort of implicitly equated "Conservative Christians" ' opposition to abortion to police-state enforcement of the dictates of governments and their minions.  I observed that "Conservative Christians" don't have use-of-force mechanisms to enforce their desires, and that in any event avoiding an unwanted pregnancy is easier to do than avoiding the clutches of the forces of the state.  I'm sorry if that is hard for you to understand.

However, it is the stated goal of conservative christians to bring about a legal regime that does exactly use state power to enforce their religious views on others that do not share them. The fait may not be accompli, but their every intention and effort is and they can certainly be criticized for their intentions as justifiably as their accomplishments.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

However, it is the stated goal of conservative christians to bring about a legal regime that does exactly use state power to enforce their religious views on others that do not share them. The fait may not be accompli, but their every intention and effort is and they can certainly be criticized for their intentions as justifiably as their accomplishments.

In what respect, expect perhaps tangentially on the abortion issue (which is not inherently about religion), and perhaps on the issue of whether homosexuality is acceptable or even a biological or genetic characteristic like skin color, are conservative Christians seeking to create this theocracy?  Are they trying to outlaw other religions, or atheism?  To compel everyone to go to church on Sunday?  To require mandatory tithing to Christian churches?  To mandate that public schools teach the Bible as the word of God and that everything in it is literally true?  To burn heretics at the stake?  I follow news and politics pretty closely, and I haven't come  across anyone seriously advocating anything like that.

Talk about a strawman.  The alleged threat of a conservative Christian coup that would turn this country into a Jesus-based equivalent of a fundamentalist Islamic state is way beyond greatly exaggerated.

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

In what respect, expect perhaps tangentially on the abortion issue (which is not inherently about religion), and perhaps on the issue of whether homosexuality is acceptable or even a biological or genetic characteristic like skin color, are conservative Christians seeking to create this theocracy?  

I reject your premise that the abortion argument is not about religion, and aside from that the list above is quite enough to support the critique.

I have a uterus and they can be some bossy mfers. Everyone thinks they know what I should do with it even the fellow uterus havers. Please don't explain to me how this relates to the subject matter.

Now ON the subject matter, I work at a school for autistic children. We aren't connected to a school district but anytime the district in which we are in closes, so do we. I haven't worked since last Thursday, and only worked 2 days last week. Eight snow days in two weeks. Not only am I stir crazy, I'm broke. Send help. 

4 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Where exactly did I say anything about Donald Trump's statements about abortion, or for that matter about the potential consequences of abortion or about anyone's desire to impose such consequences?  My statement was about the relative ease of preventing pregnancy, which, again, says nothing about abortion.   And the ,fact that Donald Trump may have said something about abortion is not in the least  contrary to anything I have said.

Your hunting and pecking about preventing pregnancy was brought up in response to abortion.  It's an abortion discussion.  I wasn't born yesterday.

And, since it's an abortion question, when you say conservatives aren't using the power of gov to jam their beliefs on everyone, I submit Donald Trump literally campaigning on doing exactly that.  

Then you type letters and stuff

I love that on the exact day someone comes up in here and says conservatives don't use the government to impose their beliefs on people, Kim Davis gets hit with $225k fine for violating people's rights based on her "religious beliefs"

pretty rich bro pretty rich

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pfife said:

And, since it's an abortion question, when you say conservatives aren't using the power of gov to jam their beliefs on everyone, I submit Donald Trump literally campaigning on doing exactly that.  

I can submit Texas SB 5, which SCOTUS overruled in part in Whole Women's Health vs. Hellerstedt back in 2016.

Such a stupid and ridiculous law given the fact that it was clearly out of step with the precedents set in Roe v Wade and PP v Casey

19 minutes ago, pfife said:

Your hunting and pecking about preventing pregnancy was brought up in response to abortion.  It's an abortion discussion.  I wasn't born yesterday.

Then you type letters and stuff

Politically, "conservative" and "conservative Christian" are very much not the same thing.  I'm all for the implementation of conservative policies in all of the areas that matter to me, for reasons that have nothing to do with Christianity.

4 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Politically, "conservative" and "conservative Christian" are very much not the same thing.  I'm all for the implementation of conservative policies in all of the areas that matter to me, for reasons that have nothing to do with Christianity.

Ok I'll let you decide on you.  But what I said was correct.

13 minutes ago, pfife said:

Ok I'll let you decide on you.  But what I said was correct.

What, that conservatives in government try to impose conservative policies?  I'll give you that one, but it's really not much of a revelation.  I hope you didn't work too hard coming up with it.

10 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

What, that conservatives try to impose conservative policies?  I'll give you that one, but it's really not much of a revelation.  I hope you didn't work too hard coming up with it.

You just spent a bunch of time arguing it didn't happen lolwut 🤣

Apparently the Michigan State Police were cut in on the conspiracy by Gretchen Whitmer to have Consumers Energy sell less of Consumers Energy's product

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pfife said:

You just spent a bunch of time arguing it didn't happen lolwut 🤣

You clearly don't read very wel, or at least not very carefully, because I never said any such thing.  I did say that the alleged danger of those scary "conservative Christians'" creating some kind of American theocracy is greatly exaggerated.  Which is far from saying that conservatives in government don't do conservative things, because of course they do.  And  I'll let you in on another secret, if you promise not to tell anyone else: liberals in government do liberal things.

6 hours ago, six-hopper said:

... To mandate that public schools teach the Bible as the word of God and that everything in it is literally true?  ...

Sort of like when Texas and several other states tried to enforce the teaching of "Intelligent Design" (aka "Creationism"), right?

You're on the right track there hopper...

8 hours ago, six-hopper said:

You clearly don't read very wel, or at least not very carefully, because I never said any such thing.  I did say that the alleged danger of those scary "conservative Christians'" creating some kind of American theocracy is greatly exaggerated.  Which is far from saying that conservatives in government don't do conservative things, because of course they do.  And  I'll let you in on another secret, if you promise not to tell anyone else: liberals in government do liberal things.

That's not a secret bro.  Here's one for you, since I like reciprocation:  I'm not arguing that liberals don't use the force of government to impose their preferred policies.  

Someone should set up a gofundme for the strawman you just assaulted and battered.

You're the one that acts like your side doesn't use the force of government to impose their beliefs.  That's hogwash, and none of your random letters you're typing change that obvious fact.

• Thanks 1