tiger337

Lou Whitaker's Hall of Fame Candidacy

11 minutes ago, FloridaTigers said:

Lou Whitaker is on another level though. It seems disrespectful that he and Tram's numbers weren't retired much sooner, HOF or not.

Yes, Whitaker and Trammell are deserving of it.

Fryman, Fielder, Ordonez, Guillen?  Quite a stretch.

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Yes, Whitaker and Trammell are deserving of it.

Fryman, Fielder, Ordonez, Guillen?  Quite a stretch.

Definitely a stretch. I can't think of any other Tiger at this moment after Tram and Whitaker who should get a number retired that isn't JV or Cabrera. I think the "HOF only" unspoken rule for retirement the Tigers have is quite harsh.

3 minutes ago, FloridaTigers said:

Definitely a stretch. I can't think of any other Tiger at this moment after Tram and Whitaker who should get a number retired that isn't JV or Cabrera. I think the "HOF only" unspoken rule for retirement the Tigers have is quite harsh.

I don't know.  I think the unspoken rule is fair, but I like that they've made an exception for Horton (based on his history with city) and Whitaker (who should be in the hall of fame).

Nah... let’s not be like the Pistons. 

I wouldn’t retire any more numbers until JV and Miggy.  

I could envision a Leyland number retirement too   

I always saw the retiring of Horton's number as an attempt to appease Bud Selig after the Tigers hired Phil Garner without interviewing a single minority.

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I would be all about Fidrych. He wasn't just a local star. There was no one more famous in 1976 across the country.

As much as I am a fan of the Bird, I could never see him in the HOF.

Anyone who hasn’t read Doug Wilson’s biography on Mark should. It is a very good book. The book is titled, ‘The Bird: The Life and Legacy of Mark Fidrych’

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

As much as I am a fan of the Bird, I could ever see him in the HOF.

Anyone who hasn’t read Doug Wilson’s biography on Mark should. It is a very good book. The book is titled, ‘The Bird: The Life and Legacy of Mark Fidrych’

It's a great book, much better than the book written on Fidrych when he was playing.  

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

As much as I am a fan of the Bird, I could never see him in the HOF.

Agreed. However I wouldn't mind his number being retired AND a statue. I'm biased though because he is my all time favorite.

Fidrych's 1976 was my favorite individual season ever, but I can't see retiring the number of a pitcher who had one good season.  That season is a great memory for anyone that was there for it, but it's the kind of thing where you had to be there.  

Thank you for posting, great interview. You would never associate that Q&A with Lou and his reputation of being non talkative. Flashback to the good times!

On 12/19/2019 at 9:12 AM, Oblong said:

Nah... let’s not be like the Pistons. 

I wouldn’t retire any more numbers until JV and Miggy.  

I could envision a Leyland number retirement too   

I agree.  One other guy I'd be OK with even though it would be a major stretch is Pudge.  Only played here for 5 seasons but atleast on surface he felt like a huge reason for the culture change here and was the leader on the magical 06 team that helped resurrect what seemed like a dying franchise.  

retire vina's number.  

he was the first free agent AND he can appeal to the hispanic community and make us feel better.  double score!

13 minutes ago, Buddha said:

retire vina's number.  

he was the first free agent AND he can appeal to the hispanic community and make us feel better.  double score!

Taijuan Walker would be better. He brings a broader appeal. I believe he is currently unsigned. He was a true pitching prospect a couple of years back.

Per Wiki: Walker's father is black, and his mother is half-Mexican and half-white. 

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Taijuan Walker would be better. He brings a broader appeal. I believe he is currently unsigned. He was a true pitching prospect a couple of years back.

Per Wiki: Walker's father is black, and his mother is half-Mexican and half-white. 

give that man a statue!

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I agree.  One other guy I'd be OK with even though it would be a major stretch is Pudge.  Only played here for 5 seasons but atleast on surface he felt like a huge reason for the culture change here and was the leader on the magical 06 team that helped resurrect what seemed like a dying franchise.  

That would be the last number I would want to see retired.  He disrespected Trammell and seemed to quit on the team twice - once in 2005 and once in his final season with the Tigers.    

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

retire vina's number.  

Vina had grit and heart.  That's something you can't teach.  

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

That would be the last number I would want to see retired.  He disrespected Trammell and seemed to quit on the team twice - once in 2005 and once in his final season with the Tigers.    

True, for the record I didn't mean that I would personally want it, I meant more in terms of if the organization were to retire somebody else I could understand Pudge and be ok with it, not only cause he is a Hall of Famer but also for the reasons I mentioned earlier.  

What about Freehan, Lolich and Cash? Their names should be on the wall, imho. Of them I think Freehan's number should be retired. I even see him as a borderline HoFer. Lolich is right there too. Maybe if he hadn't pitched 350 innings a year he would have lasted a few more years. Billy Martin made a habit of overusing arms