Lou Whitaker will be eligible the Hall of Fame this year via the Eras Committee.  I think this is worth a new topic rather than clogging up the off-season thread with Hall of Fame talk.  

• Like 1

I get a hard time each time I post this - but I think the casual fan would be surprised by how similar these two players were on average.   An obvious difference in BB's and thus OBP but pretty similar overall.

162MorgWhit.jpg

Spoiler

Player #1 Whitaker - Player #2 Joe Morgan.

I would normally give a lecture about why Whitaker is no Joe Morgan, but fan boy posts are allowed here.  When I visit Cooperstown in 2020, I will see Sweet Lou and Trammell too.  

Kind of off topic, but I was at Comerica this summer when they unveiled Trammell's number on the brick wall. It was pretty freakin' cool. 

Purely from a fan girl point of view, I really hope the same for Lou. 

• Like 1

In the 2019 Bill James Handbook, James says that the two best players not in the Hall Of Fame (not including steroid and gambling guys) are 

1. Bill Dahlen

2. Lou Whitaker

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wolverinefan said:

Kind of off topic, but I was at Comerica this summer when they unveiled Trammell's number on the brick wall. It was pretty freakin' cool. 

Purely from a fan girl point of view, I really hope the same for Lou. 

I want the same for Lou from a scientific and fan boy point of view.  

20 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I would normally give a lecture about why Whitaker is no Joe Morgan, but fan boy posts are allowed here.  When I visit Cooperstown in 2020, I will see Sweet Lou and Trammell too.  

There's no real argument, if I were drafting and they were both in their prime - I take Morgan every time.   

I see a pedestal with two action statues on  it..............Tram flipping the ball to Lou with his foot on 2nd base.      This needs to happen. 

You you put Lou up with 2nd basemen from the same era, he's right there.    I know he's a weird guy and certainly would never lobby to get in, but come on now - if Tram's in, Lou should be in and they should have gone together.    

13 hours ago, tiger337 said:

In the 2019 Bill James Handbook, James says that the two best players not in the Hall Of Fame (not including steroid and gambling guys) are 

1. Bill Dahlen

2. Lou Whitaker

If Dahlen ever gets in, will he go in as a Colt or as a Superba?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I see a pedestal with two action statues on  it..............Tram flipping the ball to Lou with his foot on 2nd base.      This needs to happen. 

An action statue absolutely.  They are a part of the lore of this team. They are a duo. Like Batman and Robin minus the tights. 

Is he for sure eligible to be on the vets ballot this year? I heard conflicting things.  I can’t look it up this year. I thought there were 3 vet committees and Tram was on in 2017.  

Theres 2 steps. One committee will pick the ballot and another votes.  

10 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

An action statue absolutely.  They are a part of the lore of this team. They are a duo. Like Batman and Robin minus the tights. 

Oh, Lou wore tights 

According to this

https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/rules/eras-committees

Lou should fall under the "Modern Day Committee" which covers 70-87.

The crappy thing is if he doesn't make it on this ballot then he has to wait longer.  The cyle is:

2016 - Today's Game (88-Present)

2017 - Modern Era (70-87)

2018 - Today's Game 

2019 Modern Era

2020 - Golden Days (50-69)

2021 - Early Baseball (Prior to 1950)

Then the cycle repeats.  So if Lou doesn't get voted on in 2019 for 2020 election, he has to wait until 2023 to be considered on a ballot again.  By then he'll get lost in the hoopla of the Tigers winning back to back WS titles and they won't find time to retire his number or honor him at the park.... 

21 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

At the final game at Tiger Stadium, they jogged out together to second base for a very good reason.

• Like 1

I can't see any way Lou is not named to the Hall of Fame by the committee. I'm wondering whether Darrell Evans stands any decent chance? Normally I'd say it's extremely unlikely, but Harold Baines, so, get the right guys on the committee and just about anything could happen. Trammell-to-Whitaker-to-Evans would be a better trio in the Hall than Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance.

I recall in one of the abstracts by Bill James that he ranked Evans very high.  In fact I think he said he was at the time the most underrated player in history.  It was either an abstract or his great Hall of Fame book.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

...and they won't find time to retire his number or honor him at the park.... 

...like the way the Tigers treated Sparky Anderson.

James ranked Evans 10th among third basemen in the historical abstract.  That was in 2000, but it's still really high.  Stan Hack was 9th and Sal Bando was 11th.  

12 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I recall in one of the abstracts by Bill James that he ranked Evans very high.  In fact I think he said he was at the time the most underrated player in history.  It was either an abstract or his great Hall of Fame book.

People might get hung up on his position. He started out as a 3B and ended as a 1B, and the split was about 61/34 between the two (OF is 5).  He ends up in about the same place in rankings among inactive players: as a 3B he's 13th in WAR and 17th in wins above average (WAA); as a 1B, his rankings are #12 and #18.

Either way, these rankings probably put Evans just beyond the fringe for inclusion. At 3B he's behind guys like Ken Boyer, Ron Cey and Robin Ventura; as a 1B he's behind Will Clark, John Olerud and Norm Cash. None of these guys have broad-based vocal support for enshrinement, so again, barring the miracle of serendipitous committee makeup, it's probably a "no" for Darrell.

• Like 1

I figured if they put Baines in, Whitaker becomes a no brainer and Freehan and Lolich have a shot again.  😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I can't see any way Lou is not named to the Hall of Fame by the committee. I'm wondering whether Darrell Evans stands any decent chance? Normally I'd say it's extremely unlikely, but Harold Baines, so, get the right guys on the committee and just about anything could happen. Trammell-to-Whitaker-to-Evans would be a better trio in the Hall than Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance.

Darrell Evans believes in flying saucers.

I think of that as a plus, but some do not.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:10 PM, tiger337 said:

Lou Whitaker will be eligible the Hall of Fame this year via the Eras Committee.  I think this is worth a new topic rather than clogging up the off-season thread with Hall of Fame talk.  

Yes, wouldn't want to steer the off season thread conversation away from the Deuce and his exploits. :cheeky:

51 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yes, wouldn't want to steer the off season thread conversation away from the Deuce and his exploits. :cheeky:

The Deuce is welcome in every thread.  

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The Deuce is welcome in every thread.  

More than Lou, apparently! :laugh:

Whitaker talk is always welcome as far as I am concerned.  A couple of posters expressed that they didn't like the HoF talk in the other thread.  I am not sure whether it was in jest or not, but I figured Lou deserved his own thread anyway.