RatkoVarda

Best Shape of His Life - 2019 Edition

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I call bull****.  Boyd is a 98-pound weakling compared to the monstrous physical masterpiece that has been off-season sculpted into Miguel Cabrera Version 2019.

I'm sure Christin Stewart did yoga to be more flexible in the outfield.

In a dark room with a mirror that makes me look thinner I too am in the best shape of my life. 

Early returns on the experiments with Eric Munson, Rob Fick and Jeff Larish playing third base:  moves well for a big man, has soft hands and a strong accurate arm.

Everything I’m reading suggests Milt Cuyler will head north with the Tigers this year.

Add Greiner to the list - he's even added Hot Yoga!

Grayson Greiner anxious to validate Gardenhire's faith, seize starting catcher role

“Turns out there was an old bone chip in there that they took out,” he said. “It was kind of a blessing in disguise. I got it taken care of and I don’t have to worry about it anymore.”

He’s anxious to get to Lakeland and begin building relationships with the pitchers. That’s priority one. He’s incorporated hot yoga into his workouts to facilitate more flexibility in his knees and hips, which for a 6-6 catcher is paramount. He will be in Lakeland next week catching bullpens and taking his turn in the batting cage.

“It’s not like I just flipped a switch and decided I’m going to work hard now,” he said. “I’ve always prided myself on being a hard worker and preparing as I would for any season.”

And now add Zimmerman.   This team is going to be in overall best shape of their lives I suspect.

Detroit Tigers' Jordan Zimmermann: Everything went wrong when I turned 30

“Finally, after this was over, I was able to work out and do everything I need to do this off-season,” he said. “My neck is feeling good, back feeling good, everything feels great. I’m just hoping all of that stuff is behind me so I can move on.”

14 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Add Greiner to the list - he's even added Hot Yoga!

Grayson Greiner anxious to validate Gardenhire's faith, seize starting catcher role

“Turns out there was an old bone chip in there that they took out,” he said. “It was kind of a blessing in disguise. I got it taken care of and I don’t have to worry about it anymore.”

He’s anxious to get to Lakeland and begin building relationships with the pitchers. That’s priority one. He’s incorporated hot yoga into his workouts to facilitate more flexibility in his knees and hips, which for a 6-6 catcher is paramount. He will be in Lakeland next week catching bullpens and taking his turn in the batting cage.

“It’s not like I just flipped a switch and decided I’m going to work hard now,” he said. “I’ve always prided myself on being a hard worker and preparing as I would for any season.”

Real catchers do Goat Yoga

Avila believes this development will warrant an additional year for the rebuild.

Found this in a random story on the Athletic:

The cliché of clichés in spring, “best shape of my life” is so overused that players are now required to acknowledge its overuse when they invoke it themselves. For an organization that was not always pleased with the fitness and conditioning of its players in 2018, do not be surprised to see it rolled out even more frequently than before.

Variations of the “best shape of my life” story include stories on novel or refocused workout routines, intriguing diets and literally anything that mentions the word “plyometric.”

Personally, we only rank “best shape of my life” fifth on our list of the top-five spring training clichés. Ahead of it are:

4. “It’s all about fastball command.”

3. “My expectations for myself are higher than anyone else’s.”

2. “Whatever the team wants me to do, that’s what I’m going to do.”

1. “It’s just great to see how they go about their business.”

There's a different feeling on the team this spring.  There is a swagger and confidence that wasn't there last year. 

Victor Reyes is in the Best Shape Of His Life, there is no doubt in my mind.

Reyes put on 15 pounds of muscle this off-season and looks rather monsterly out there. The ball has really been carrying off his bat, first base coach Ramon Santiago said.

Fenech

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

Reyes put on 15 pounds of muscle this off-season and looks rather monsterly out there. The ball has really been carrying off his bat, first base coach Ramon Santiago said.

I'm Stoked!!   An OF with Reyes - Jake - Daz will allow no fly ball to fall!   We'll shut the league out!!

• Haha 1

When Reyes hits the ball, it makes a sound that is different from other batters.  Only the great ones have that.    

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

There's a different feeling on the team this spring.  There is a swagger and confidence that wasn't there last year. 

You'd feel that way too if Jordy Mercer were your teammate.

It's hard to choose which is more impressive here....I guess maybe Hardy's haircut?

Jordan Zimmermann looks like he has lost some weight, throwing free and easy with Matthew Boyd on a back field. ... Left-handed pitcher Blaine Hardy recently received a hair cut. ... In asking two Tigers employees who stood out early in camp, for performance or conditioning reasons, both answered right-hander Franklin Perez.

Detroit Tigers spring training observations: Casey Mize impresses

8 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

A much stronger Victor Reyes could be intriguing.

Looking forward to him pulling a motorhome by his teeth.