Sign in to follow this  
mbrieve

DC Sports closing Twelve Oaks & FanaticU closing Soutfield

Interesting to see that within days of each other, DC Sports and FanaticU both announce they are closing locations.

This is from FanaticU: "Due to the internet online sales, website confusion and our teams playing under expectations we are closing our Southfield location."

I have to imagine the same factors are contributing to DC Sports closing in Novi.

With DC, I have to believe the mall rent at Twelve Oaks is a contributing factor. They are going to have an issue long term at Lakeside as well, as that mall is not exactly a pillar of stability. It's very old and in need of significant upgrades in an era of ecommerce....With retailers clinging on for dear life. It may not even exist as an indoor mall in five years. I give them a ton of credit- they hung on through the economic downturn and for a period of time, they were literally one of the only ones bringing in signers. The people at their stores are really top notch. It's sad if any of them lose their jobs over this. Quite honestly, if it were me, I'd close Lakeside and find a nice space not connected to a mall in an area that is central for most of the metro detroit area to get to. They'd probably do better that way- there are people on both sides of town who won't run to the other side of town for a signing. 

Fanaticu U -Their store in Soutfield is in an old and tired area. And I've never found their signings to be very organized. This could be really unfair, but Fanaticu U always seemed lower class to me. Nothing against them- it could just be where their stores are located. But DC has always been top notch.