Oblong

Tigers going to mobile ticketing

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I do go to the games, and many other ticketed events, and I use mobile ticketing when it is available and I like it. I don’t see how paying for the games months ahead of time so you can officially have the title of “season ticket holder” makes my your opinion more valid my mine. I’m simply giving an example of a person who has no problem with this change.

And before you mention your ticket splitting ritual again, I will happily grant you that it could be more cumbersome to do so. It could also make things easier for a lot of people. 

Just because you or oblong don’t know another season ticket holder who asked for this or wants this doesn’t mean that there aren’t season ticket holders, or simply just other fans that purchase tickets, who aren’t bothered by the change. 

So, yeah, I am fairly confident in saying that I wouldn’t feel any differently about this if I happened to have 27 pairs of tickets already committed to me.

OK. Wasn't arguing validity of opinion. To each his own.

But the thing is this new method offers season ticket holders zero improvement.  We had this already. My tickets have been loaded to my app for years.  When I bought my extra they were loaded. Even from stubhub. All they did was take something away.  The price of my tickets didn’t go down. Now I don’t get a commemorative box and nice physical tickets. There’s not a single thing about this new method that gives me  something I didn’t already have   But it has taken options away from me   That’s bad  

I fail to see how this is any improvement over how it was done previously because our tickets have been loaded to our ballpark app for quite awhile now  I always viewed it as a fallback  

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

But the thing is this new method offers season ticket holders zero improvement.  We had this already. My tickets have been loaded to my app for years.  When I bought my extra they were loaded. Even from stubhub. All they did was take something away.  The price of my tickets didn’t go down. Now I don’t get a commemorative box and nice physical tickets. There’s not a single thing about this new method that gives me  something I didn’t already have   But it has taken options away from me   That’s bad  

I fail to see how this is any improvement over how it was done previously because our tickets have been loaded to our ballpark app for quite awhile now  I always viewed it as a fallback  

Unfortunately, it's now going to have to be our go to. Sign of the times. :/ 

12 hours ago, chasfh said:

OK. Wasn't arguing validity of opinion. To each his own.

I realize now my post was overly aggressive. I apologize for my tone. I got frustrated by your assumption that I don’t go to games, and further that if I did it would change my opinion on the matter.

Simply put, I prefer mobile ticketing, and therefore the policy doesn’t bother me, and wouldn’t bother me if I happened to be a season ticket holder. 

I fully understand why this is bothersome to some. But I think it’s fair to acknowledge that there are likely many season ticket holders that don’t have a problem with it. 

Sure.... I bet there's some who don't care.  But I bet a lot more do care.  I stay in touch with 5 others and all 5 don't like it.   It's more of an acceptance than an embrace.  

Their marketing spin makes it sound like people were clamoring for this.... mobile ticketing was always there the last few years for people who preferred it.

I don't think anybody out there is saying "Thank God we've finally got mobile only entry at Comerica Park... I was on the fence about going this year but having to tell them that I wanted the tickets just sent electronically was a burden... now I don't have to do that".

If anything I'm more bothered by the corporate lying. Just admit you want more control and access to our activities and information and to cut costs.  Don't pretend this is some great improvement for the fan experience because it's not.  You aren't giving the fans anything they didn't already have access to.

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

If anything I'm more bothered by the corporate lying.

exactly. As a culture we have always accepted that you have to treat what a used car salesman says with a grin of salt, but the total permeation of the culture with the marketeers casual approach to honesty is just mentally fatiguing.

43 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I realize now my post was overly aggressive. I apologize for my tone. I got frustrated by your assumption that I don’t go to games, and further that if I did it would change my opinion on the matter.

Simply put, I prefer mobile ticketing, and therefore the policy doesn’t bother me, and wouldn’t bother me if I happened to be a season ticket holder. 

I fully understand why this is bothersome to some. But I think it’s fair to acknowledge that there are likely many season ticket holders that don’t have a problem with it. 

That's cool, I appreciate that. FWIW, I didn't mean to say you don't go to any games, just that you might feel different if you had 81 games, so I should have been a little tighter on what I said.

20 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Sure.... I bet there's some who don't care.  But I bet a lot more do care.  I stay in touch with 5 others and all 5 don't like it.   It's more of an acceptance than an embrace.  

Their marketing spin makes it sound like people were clamoring for this.... mobile ticketing was always there the last few years for people who preferred it.

I don't think anybody out there is saying "Thank God we've finally got mobile only entry at Comerica Park... I was on the fence about going this year but having to tell them that I wanted the tickets just sent electronically was a burden... now I don't have to do that".

If anything I'm more bothered by the corporate lying. Just admit you want more control and access to our activities and information and to cut costs.  Don't pretend this is some great improvement for the fan experience because it's not.  You aren't giving the fans anything they didn't already have access to.

Great point on teams taking something away and giving nothing back in return. In fact, they make it worse by making you pay for paper tickets when you do need them, e.g., when your phone dies or you don't get a signal at the gate.

And Gehringer_2 has it right: the relentless mealy-mouthed obfuscation and misdirection typical of amoral marketers that has permeated everything emanating from the corporate world is just exhausting.

I get **** at work because I make fun of the automotive apps that let you know how much gas is in your tank.  It's what the kids want. It's nothing more than a way to push service notifications to you so you can find your nearest dealer.  

On 1/30/2019 at 8:28 AM, chasfh said:

Mobile ticketing also helps prevent lost or stolen tickets 

I'd like them to explain this part of their answer. How does it prevent lost or stolen tickets without also making voluntary sharing of tickets more difficult? Emailing tickets so that you had a choice of printing out a hard copy or scanning your phone wasn't a problem needing fixing. Just like while I enter an address into my vehicle's GPS, I also often print out a hard copy of the driving directions for various reasons before leaving the house.

5 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I'd like them to explain this part of their answer. How does it prevent lost or stolen tickets without also making voluntary sharing of tickets more difficult? Emailing tickets so that you had a choice of printing out a hard copy or scanning your phone wasn't a problem needing fixing. Just like while I enter an address into my vehicle's GPS, I also often print out a hard copy of the driving directions for various reasons before leaving the house.

As long as your phone isn’t lost or stolen, your tickets won’t be lost or stolen. 

Does it make it harder to share? I guess that’s a matter of opinion. If I want to share a PDF of a print at home ticket, I could save it as a PDF and email to someone. They could then print it out and take it with them, assuming they have easy access to a printer and don’t forget to print it and don’t leave it behind. 

Or I could use the app or whatever and share it that way, and the other party could then just access it on their phone. 

If I have a traditional ticket on ticket stock or whatever, I would have to meet up with the person or mail it. 

Anecdotal example. A friend had extra Michigan basketball tickets recently. They probably could have emailed me a pdf, but instead they dropped them off at my house in an envelope. But I wasn’t home. So I had to go home to get them. My wife dropped me at the game with the kids and she was going to run an errand and then come for the second half. Of course, I took all four tickets with me. Best I could do once I was inside was to take a picture of the ticket that I think was the one that hadn’t yet been scanned. It ended up not mattering because she got delayed and didn’t make it back until the game was over. 

These types of things can happen. 

Yeah, I think the circumstance where someone cancels the day of an event and someone else takes the extra ticket is one where using an app is more convenient than a paper ticket.  Running across town or meeting up somewhere before the game often was a hassle.

LCA went to mobile only last year and I'm wondering how they handle it with businesses.  I have a friend that has a suite and 4 regular seats there.  He's also got 3 different 4 sets of seats at Comerica.

When it comes to distributing those tickets all recipients must now download an app and create an account and and then share their email address.

Last year I got picked to use our company suite.  I had to go find the VP's admin and she gave me a ticket.  In the future I guess I'll have to give her my personal email address.  (Guess that could be embarrassing if you have an address like 'keggerbob69@....'  

I'm going to ask my friend what they do at LCA with giving customers tickets.

2 minutes ago, Oblong said:

LCA went to mobile only last year and I'm wondering how they handle it with businesses.  I have a friend that has a suite and 4 regular seats there.  He's also got 3 different 4 sets of seats at Comerica.

When it comes to distributing those tickets all recipients must now download an app and create an account and and then share their email address.

Last year I got picked to use our company suite.  I had to go find the VP's admin and she gave me a ticket.  In the future I guess I'll have to give her my personal email address.  (Guess that could be embarrassing if you have an address like 'keggerbob69@....'  

I'm going to ask my friend what they do at LCA with giving customers tickets.

I think the red wings are mobile only, but not the pistons. My son was given a pair of pistons tickets from my parents as a Christmas present and they are the typical giant glossy things with a picture of a terrible basketball player on them. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It would have been better if they had pictures of Gores on them.

For dartboards all over the D.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It would have been better if they had pictures of Gores on them.

They couldn't afford the printing costs in order to fit all of his hair on them.