Oblong

Tigers going to mobile ticketing

Great, so now I need to incur international roaming fees to attend a game in Detroit. Do they at least have free wi-fi near the entrances?

I also liked to give a PDF print-out of one of the tickets to my child to make it easier for her to get back to our seat in case we inadvertently got split up. Or to put a print-out in my pocket so that when I'm coming back from the restroom I can quickly access my section/seat/row number in case I forgot it or in case the usher wants me to yell it out.

59 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Great, so now I need to incur international roaming fees to attend a game in Detroit. Do they at least have free wi-fi near the entrances?

LOL...they will still print paper tickets off at the box office if you don't want to do the app.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

LOL...they will still print paper tickets off at the box office if you don't want to do the app.

Fine, as long as they don't ask for my passport and a credit check.

As long as the Tigers are this bad, I'd prefer an announcement that the Tigers are going to free ticketing or deeply discounted ticketing.

@Oblong

random question, have you bothered calling your ticket rep and complaining about this? If they can hand out physical tickets at the box office, then they are inherently still capable of issuing physical tickets. I bet they would send you a physical set of tickets. It won’t be that glossy package you are used to getting, but if it’s really a problem for you and your seat mate, I bet they can accommodate you. 

Just read the Rays will go totally cashless at their park this year to cut down on transaction times at the concessions and like. This from the team that is the perennial leader in lowest attendance in the league.  I guess you’ll pay for a card and spend down the card while you’re at the game. I don’t know the logistics of managing the balances, as in, are the cards good for a game, 10 games? Pretty sure if there is money left over on a card it stays with the Rays. 

41 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Pretty sure if there is money left over on a card it stays with the Rays. 

Even if card is good indefinitely, they will sit in the kitchen drawer with money on them all over the Tampa area and the Rays will be making money on the float.

53 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Even if card is good indefinitely, they will sit in the kitchen drawer with money on them all over the Tampa area and the Rays will be making money on the float.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Say you bought a $20 card for a game. There is no way you’re going to spend exactly $20. There will always be change left on the card. Marketing genius.

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Say you bought a $20 card for a game. There is no way you’re going to spend exactly $20. There will always be change left on the card. Marketing genius.

Paying for concessions through an app on your phone is less of a rip off of fans than this. 

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

Just read the Rays will go totally cashless at their park this year to cut down on transaction times at the concessions and like. This from the team that is the perennial leader in lowest attendance in the league.  I guess you’ll pay for a card and spend down the card while you’re at the game. I don’t know the logistics of managing the balances, as in, are the cards good for a game, 10 games? Pretty sure if there is money left over on a card it stays with the Rays. 

I think 99% of transactions will be done via users’ preexisting credit cards. Who would bother loading up a rays card?

19 hours ago, Shelton said:

@Oblong

random question, have you bothered calling your ticket rep and complaining about this? If they can hand out physical tickets at the box office, then they are inherently still capable of issuing physical tickets. I bet they would send you a physical set of tickets. It won’t be that glossy package you are used to getting, but if it’s really a problem for you and your seat mate, I bet they can accommodate you. 

No because it’s not that big of an issue.  Like I said earlier this is more of a peeve.  I want the glossy package as a keepsake more than a physical ticket.  I have a bunch of my tickets over the years and I liked collecting them.  Or at least keeping them in a box in the basement.  Still have all my playoff tickets in addition to those issued in 2009 and 2016 when they didn’t make it. 

My seat mate doesn’t really go to games without me but I will have to figure out what we do if he does this year. I go to all of them and he goes to avout 60% with me Before I’d email to him or give them ahead of time.  Since he’s not the account holder I’m not sure how that’s supposed to work at the customer service window. 

Another thing that will be annoying is if you are walking to your seat and holding food and drinks.  Before you could kind of have your ticket on your hand with the food and usher could take it to confirm.  Now I guess you have to set the stuff down.  Get out your phone unlock it then open the app.  

Another thing is if you have smaller kids like 10 or so and they want to explore the park.  I let my kid do that and he had the ticket so he’d know where to go. What now?

32 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Another thing that will be annoying is if you are walking to your seat and holding food and drinks.  Before you could kind of have your ticket on your hand with the food and usher could take it to confirm.  Now I guess you have to set the stuff down.  Get out your phone unlock it then open the app.  

Another thing is if you have smaller kids like 10 or so and they want to explore the park.  I let my kid do that and he had the ticket so he’d know where to go. What now?

i agree handling a phone in those situations is a real issue - esp wrt the likelihood of dropping an expensive bit of electronics vs a piece of paper. I tend to just tell an usher what my seat # is if they approach, I'm not going to dig my phone out unless he/she demands it - they usually haven't.

14 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Not to hijack your comment but this area of concern was raised in the conversation about the Rays going cash free at their park. Teenagers like to roam the park and buy this or that while parent(s) watch the game. Without always having a guardian with a card along with them, how does this happen for the kids, or even seniors? Young teenagers, and other folks as well, don’t always have bank cards on them.

Looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. Especially in TB. This is probably geared toward reducing headcount at concessions. Gotta offset the empty seats somehow I guess.

Just now, 1776 said:

Looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. Especially in TB. This is probably geared toward reducing headcount at concessions. Gotta offset the empty seats somehow I guess.

I'd guess the headcount they are really trying to reduce is that to run the concessions. 

38 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Just walk past those guys. They won’t chase you down.  

8 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I'd guess the headcount they are really trying to reduce is that to run the concessions. 

That was my take as well. Again, Tampa Bay...really? I guess they had more people selling concession items than fans in attendance.

I think this is one of those things that in 5 years nobody will care about and wonderer what the fuss (to the extent there is a fuss) was about.

The Cubs announced they were going to mobile-only tickets months ago. They had mobile-only entry to the Wild Card game last year. I don't remember it being a ****show for that game, but we also got there pretty early, like an hour. I don't know what it was like 15 minutes before the game.

As with Oblong, I loved getting the commemorative box with the printed tickets. There are several people in on my seats, so I would break apart the tickets and set them aside for each person, then we would all gather at the bar, exchange tickets, talk about the team and the upcoming season, etc. It was a fantastic ritual. Now that's gone. Now I am going to have to go through each of my 58 games and send each ticket to each person individually, I assume by using several keystrokes in each instance. That is the literal opposite of a fantastic ritual.

We've been told we can go to the box office and get printed tickets in case a phone dies or you don't have it with you. We have also been told that doing so will incur a charge of five dollars per ticket. Been a season ticket holder for 21 years? **** you, pay me.

You can get commemorative tickets for the season for a fee I can't recall exactly what the fee is sitting here but it's over $100, and they are for generic non-specific paper tickets that won't have any nice designs or even your seat number on them. Why anyone would pay over $100 for that is beyond me.

I'm positive as I can be that this is an MLB initiative. I believe it's less about containing printing costs—which I think is something, although not a big something—and more about the data. They want to know precisely who is using the tickets, where they walk around in the ballpark, what stops besides their seat they linger at, etc., and since they will have access to your phone number, even if you're a rando who bought one game off a STH, they will help themselves to your contact info so they can inundate you with marketing texts.

I, as have every STH I know, have sent our reservations about this system to our respective customer service reps, and we all received the same boilerplate answers no matter who the rep sending it along is: "this proven app provides a convenient, secure way for Season Ticket Holders to use and share mobile tickets, allowing easy ticket management and entry into games at Wrigley Field using a mobile device.  Mobile ticketing also helps prevent lost or stolen tickets and ensures easy access to the correct ticket(s) for the game you are attending as well as up-to-date game time information. To address your concerns about a phone running out of battery life, a phone being lost/stolen or left at home, etc. we will not deny you or any other ticket holder access to the ballpark.  Our box office will be able to assist with these issues on the spot and will be able to help with the ballpark app or print tickets to gain entry into the ballpark (potential fee involved)."  This was the identical response we all received. 

Bottom line appears to be, this is the way the world is moving, so either keep up or stop coming to games, grandpa. Up to you.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm positive as I can be that this is an MLB initiative. I believe it's less about containing printing costs—which I think is something, although not a big something—and more about the data.

Bingo.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The Cubs announced they were going to mobile-only tickets months ago. They had mobile-only entry to the Wild Card game last year. I don't remember it being a ****show for that game, but we also got there pretty early, like an hour. I don't know what it was like 15 minutes before the game.

As with Oblong, I loved getting the commemorative box with the printed tickets. There are several people in on my seats, so I would break apart the tickets and set them aside for each person, then we would all gather at the bar, exchange tickets, talk about the team and the upcoming season, etc. It was a fantastic ritual. Now that's gone. Now I am going to have to go through each of my 58 games and send each ticket to each person individually, I assume by using several keystrokes in each instance. That is the literal opposite of a fantastic ritual.

We've been told we can go to the box office and get printed tickets in case a phone dies or you don't have it with you. We have also been told that doing so will incur a charge of five dollars per ticket. Been a season ticket holder for 21 years? **** you, pay me.

You can get commemorative tickets for the season for a fee I can't recall exactly what the fee is sitting here but it's over $100, and they are for generic non-specific paper tickets that won't have any nice designs or even your seat number on them. Why anyone would pay over $100 for that is beyond me.

I'm positive as I can be that this is an MLB initiative. I believe it's less about containing printing costs—which I think is something, although not a big something—and more about the data. They want to know precisely who is using the tickets, where they walk around in the ballpark, what stops besides their seat they linger at, etc., and since they will have access to your phone number, even if you're a rando who bought one game off a STH, they will help themselves to your contact info so they can inundate you with marketing texts.

I, as have every STH I know, have sent our reservations about this system to our respective customer service reps, and we all received the same boilerplate answers no matter who the rep sending it along is: "this proven app provides a convenient, secure way for Season Ticket Holders to use and share mobile tickets, allowing easy ticket management and entry into games at Wrigley Field using a mobile device.  Mobile ticketing also helps prevent lost or stolen tickets and ensures easy access to the correct ticket(s) for the game you are attending as well as up-to-date game time information. To address your concerns about a phone running out of battery life, a phone being lost/stolen or left at home, etc. we will not deny you or any other ticket holder access to the ballpark.  Our box office will be able to assist with these issues on the spot and will be able to help with the ballpark app or print tickets to gain entry into the ballpark (potential fee involved)."  This was the identical response we all received. 

Bottom line appears to be, this is the way the world is moving, so either keep up or stop coming to games, grandpa. Up to you.

Well said.... and they're full of **** when they talk about this coming from feedback from fans or customers.  Nobody I've talked to with season tickets likes this or even encouraged it.

You are spot on with the reasons why.... another way to gather data about us along with a way to control the secondary market somewhat.

11 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Well said.... and they're full of **** when they talk about this coming from feedback from fans or customers.  Nobody I've talked to with season tickets likes this or even encouraged it.

You are spot on with the reasons why.... another way to gather data about us along with a way to control the secondary market somewhat.

Exactly. Limit resale to Stubhub, or whoever becomes their secondary market partner in the future.

27 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Well, for what it’s worth, if I lived just a little bit closer and had more time to go to games, I would likely be some sort of season ticket holder. And I like it just fine. 

I’m sure there are plenty of season ticket holders that like this switch. 

Anyway, I agree that the actual reason has little or nothing to do with printing and shipping costs.

and I also agree that this part of an MLB initiative for marketing purposes (just like all star voting being shifted online, the final vote happening later, and other such things).

I just don’t really care. 

Because you don’t go to games. If you were a season ticket holder, you might.

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Because you don’t go to games. If you were a season ticket holder, you might.

I do go to the games, and many other ticketed events, and I use mobile ticketing when it is available and I like it. I don’t see how paying for the games months ahead of time so you can officially have the title of “season ticket holder” makes my your opinion more valid my mine. I’m simply giving an example of a person who has no problem with this change.

And before you mention your ticket splitting ritual again, I will happily grant you that it could be more cumbersome to do so. It could also make things easier for a lot of people. 

Just because you or oblong don’t know another season ticket holder who asked for this or wants this doesn’t mean that there aren’t season ticket holders, or simply just other fans that purchase tickets, who aren’t bothered by the change. 

So, yeah, I am fairly confident in saying that I wouldn’t feel any differently about this if I happened to have 27 pairs of tickets already committed to me.