Oblong

Tigers going to mobile ticketing

From an email sent to season ticketholders today:

"On the topic of new policies, it will soon be announced that Comerica Park will employ mobile ticketing as the primary method of entry for all events, beginning this season. This decision follows extensive fan testing and the successful adoption of mobile ticketing technologies in venues across the sports and entertainment industry, including the world-class Little Caesars Arena in The District Detroit.

Mobile ticketing allows fans to use their mobile device as a game ticket, providing access to Comerica Park through a barcode that can be scanned from a device's screen. The digital technology also reduces the chance of fraudulent tickets, allows for convenient online transfer and re-sale of tickets and provides a user-friendly platform for the online management of tickets.

Tigers fans can enter the ballpark utilizing the easy-to-use Major League Baseball Ballpark app, which has emerged as the preeminent application for buying, selling or transferring baseball tickets across MLB. Further, in cooperation with our partners at StubHub, fans also have the option to use the StubHub app to enter the ballpark. "

I'm not  happy about this.  It was nice to get the shoebox sized package every year with the tickets, food coupons, tiger club passes, etc.  The tickets always came in a nice book with cool photos on them.  

I know it's the industry standard now so I'm a dinosaur... I also don't like having to get my phone out to scan when walking in. I've used the ballpark app before when forgetting my tickets or buying extras.   One question I have is they used to have a season ticket holder entrance (with a red carpet) that was usually shorter.  I guess they're doing away with that since they don't have a way to identify you based on the ticket you have in your hand. 

It was also easier for those who share the ticket packages to distribute them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

One question I have is they used to have a season ticket holder entrance (with a red carpet) that was usually shorter.  I guess they're doing away with that

They're doing away with that because people felt like a communist or worse - a Cardinal fan.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

From an email sent to season ticketholders today:

"On the topic of new policies, it will soon be announced that Comerica Park will employ mobile ticketing as the primary method of entry for all events, beginning this season. This decision follows extensive fan testing and the successful adoption of mobile ticketing technologies in venues across the sports and entertainment industry, including the world-class Little Caesars Arena in The District Detroit.

Mobile ticketing allows fans to use their mobile device as a game ticket, providing access to Comerica Park through a barcode that can be scanned from a device's screen. The digital technology also reduces the chance of fraudulent tickets, allows for convenient online transfer and re-sale of tickets and provides a user-friendly platform for the online management of tickets.

Tigers fans can enter the ballpark utilizing the easy-to-use Major League Baseball Ballpark app, which has emerged as the preeminent application for buying, selling or transferring baseball tickets across MLB. Further, in cooperation with our partners at StubHub, fans also have the option to use the StubHub app to enter the ballpark. "

I'm not  happy about this.  It was nice to get the shoebox sized package every year with the tickets, food coupons, tiger club passes, etc.  The tickets always came in a nice book with cool photos on them.  

I know it's the industry standard now so I'm a dinosaur... I also don't like having to get my phone out to scan when walking in. I've used the ballpark app before when forgetting my tickets or buying extras.   One question I have is they used to have a season ticket holder entrance (with a red carpet) that was usually shorter.  I guess they're doing away with that since they don't have a way to identify you based on the ticket you have in your hand. 

It was also easier for those who share the ticket packages to distribute them.  

If they are still scanning barcodes does that mean you can still print a barcode sheet from an electronic ticket purchase - or not?

14 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If they are still scanning barcodes does that mean you can still print a barcode sheet from an electronic ticket purchase - or not?

Not sure....

I know it's probably expensive to print and ship out 20,000 boxes from Vancouver, which is where they came from.  

There were several times this season when I couldn't go at the last minute so my wife would grab the tickets and go... now I guess she's got to install an app.  Unless I can text her the barcode.  I never tried that from the ballpark app.  I could do it from my online ticket account.  .  I also wonder how much of an issue it was with "Fraudulent" tickets attempting to be scanned?  Those can easily be traced back to the original owner and dealt with.  

I see it as a way to lower their costs and to tighten up control on the secondary market.  Make sure to direct you to their partner Stub Hub.

I just hate the over reliance on our phones and technology.  My ticket partner prides himself on not having a smartphone.  Doesn't need it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I believe they mean qr code, but people reading the story dont know the difference 

To be clear this is "pet peeve" territory.  I'm not outraged or think it's some Chris Ilitch conspiracy to be cheap.  I know it's going that way in all sports and venues.  I go mobile for all my other ticket purchases, concerts, etc.   Just like the souvenir aspect.  I gave them $1500 in October.  They could give me a physical memento for the year.

Although I do get 2 HOF plaques this year so I guess that's it.  

47 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Not sure....

I know it's probably expensive to print and ship out 20,000 boxes from Vancouver, which is where they came from.  

There were several times this season when I couldn't go at the last minute so my wife would grab the tickets and go... now I guess she's got to install an app.  Unless I can text her the barcode.  I never tried that from the ballpark app.  I could do it from my online ticket account.  .  I also wonder how much of an issue it was with "Fraudulent" tickets attempting to be scanned?  Those can easily be traced back to the original owner and dealt with.  

I see it as a way to lower their costs and to tighten up control on the secondary market.  Make sure to direct you to their partner Stub Hub.

I just hate the over reliance on our phones and technology.  My ticket partner prides himself on not having a smartphone.  Doesn't need it.  

It will PO my wife because her phone never wants to connect when we get to the gate. It's weird, we have the same phone and mine is usually fine but she often has trouble making the ball park app work at the ball park. Works fine in our living room of course.

14 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It will PO my wife because her phone never wants to connect when we get to the gate. It's weird, we have the same phone and mine is usually fine but she often has trouble making the ball park app work at the ball park. Works fine in our living room of course.

You can just do a screenshot at home and then have them scan the photo. 

I'm also 99% certain you can also just print it. 

Just now, Yoda said:

Yeah, and I think once you have the ticket stored in your app, it’s there regardless of whether you have a connection. 

Jason Bourne only uses pre-paid flip phones.  I wouldn’t want to be the person who has to deal with him when he’s pissed off about this. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I'm also 99% certain you can also just print it. 

Nope.... 

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/tickets/mobile

looks like the only way to get in is via the ballpark or stubhub app or go wait in the customer service line... which will probably be stretched out to Woodward at 6:30 pm on game night.

If I don't have access to a smartphone, how do I access my tickets? 
If you don't have access to a smartphone, please call the Comerica Park Box Office at 313-471-2200 in advance or visit the Box Office on game day to get your ticket

Can I use a screenshot of my tickets to enter Comerica Park?
No. Screenshots of tickets will not be accepted. You can only access your tickets from the Ballpark app.

But I guess you can download it so that if your wireless connection is bad it's there.  They suggest you download it.  This also rules out texting it to someone.  You have to use the Ballpark App.

I call shenanigans on that FAQ. A screenshot of the barcode will scan exactly the same as a barcode that is visible through the app. 

I’m pretty sure the ballpark or stubhub apps also allow you to store the tickets in Apple wallet or the google equivalent. 

Maybe that's what they mean by download it?  Transfer to wallet.

I never saw that kind of feature before on the app.  They don't have my tickets on there yet.  

I think it's shady that you have to use the app.  That means you have to create an mlb.com account.  

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I call shenanigans on that FAQ. A screenshot of the barcode will scan exactly the same as a barcode that is visible through the app. 

I’m pretty sure the ballpark or stubhub apps also allow you to store the tickets in Apple wallet or the google equivalent. 

Yeah, this doesn't make sense to me at all. 

I think what they're trying to do is make sure the person scanning your code can see that you're in the ballpark app to make sure it's legit? If that's the case, no way are the scanners going to do that for every person. They're going to look at whatever is currently on your phone and scan it. They won't know if you're in the app or just displaying a screenshot of it. 

30 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Yeah, this doesn't make sense to me at all. 

I think what they're trying to do is make sure the person scanning your code can see that you're in the ballpark app to make sure it's legit? If that's the case, no way are the scanners going to do that for every person. They're going to look at whatever is currently on your phone and scan it. They won't know if you're in the app or just displaying a screenshot of it. 

But in the end, there is little reason to resort to a screenshot because the tickets will be there in whatever app you have used to store them. I doubt there will be any mandate to ticket takers or enforcement process to ensure that you used the mlb app or stub hub app. 

I think the reference to screenshots is just some legacy explanation or restriction related to the days of print at home tickets where they would say you couldn’t show a pdf of the print at home ticket. Or a way to keep olds from thinking they could show the confirmation email on their phone as their ticket.

I've been using virtual tickets via the ticketmaster app for a few years. And they strictly prohibit screenshots. They recently did away with PDF copies of tickets. It's all on the app and you can save it in your wallet.

8 minutes ago, kdog said:

I've been using virtual tickets via the ticketmaster app for a few years. And they strictly prohibit screenshots. They recently did away with PDF copies of tickets. It's all on the app and you can save it in your wallet.

I have also used digital tickets for almost everything lately, and store them in my Apple wallet. 

Here is a screenshot I just took of one of the tickets. Yes, I know it’s embarassing to have purchased a ticket to a lions game but my son wanted to go.

this screenshot is identical to what was scanned at the gate (I cropped it obviously).

E158FC79-3F85-4FD7-938C-8E4CB058490C.jpeg

I still print my boarding passes, or have the bag person do it when I use curbside.... that's because it seems like there's always someone holding up the line because their phone won't scan correctly.  I mean come on.... we gotta hurry up and get in the gate so we can stand in the tunnel thing to get on the plane, then stand in the aisle way to find our seat, so we can sit in our seat and wait.... then laugh at morons who try to sneak on stuff they should have checked and watch them frantically open all the overheads looking for space.

No, I'm not moving my **** for you.  I purposefully checked my bag so I could store my smaller stuff in the overhead, taking up less room than you, so that I could have more room by my feet.  

I’ll get onboard with online ticketing the same day they pry my Blockbuster membership card from me.

• Like 1

I think online ticketing is a fine option.  I just don't know that it should be the only option.  Yes, there is the customer service line, but we know how well that will work.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I think online ticketing is a fine option.  I just don't know that it should be the only option.  Yes, there is the customer service line, but we know how well that will work.

What time is it in India when it's 7 p.m. in Detroit?  Will anyone in Calcutta be awake?

• Haha 2

They are talking about this on 97.1 right now.  My only issue is battery life.  If for some reason my battery dies (which sometimes happens...the battery will drain super fast even with no apps running in the background etc), then I am screwed for showing my ticket.

That is really my only issue with it.  I almost always keep my phone plugged in when I am near a power source like in my truck or whatever so should not be a big issue.  It would just cause me anxiety while at the stadium worrying about my phone dying and needing to show my ticket for some reason.  Not end of world anxiety, but I am one of those people who sit in the seat I bought because I do not want to be the jackass sitting in someones seat and having to disrupt people around me by moving.  Even if the stadium is 90% empty...my wife will usually force me to move to a better seat, but it causes me anxiety to do so.

So for me, it would add a small level of anxiety worrying about my phones power.  A paper ticket is always folded up in my pocket if needed...maybe I could always print them and have them in a pocket just in case...

You guys can blame the change here on the signing of Jordy Mercer. The overwhelming fan response to his signing forced the organization’s hands into a position of having to immediately upgrade their ticketing system to better digest the throngs of fans surging through the gates.

• Like 1