Sign in to follow this  
smr-nj

Marino Rivera - unanimous - HOF

..... and that is right.

Also, Edgar Martinez, the one batter that Mo had no luck getting out, -also going into the Hall. And THAT is right, too. 

• Like 1

Thank god. Now these sanctimonious baseball writers have no excuse for not voting for obviously deserving 1st-time HOF candidates going forward. 

15 hours ago, holygoat said:

Thank god. Now these sanctimonious baseball writers have no excuse for not voting for obviously deserving 1st-time HOF candidates going forward. 

Sanctimony may not be the reason or at least not the sole reason for some voters leaving a "lock" off of their ballots.  If I were a voter, I might give some of my votes to players whom I consider deserving but who need them much more than does a guy who's essentially sure to get in.  If someone whom I feel strongly should be in Cooperstown misses out by one vote because I left him off and voted for a sure thing instead, I'd feel a lot worse about that than about being  someone who prevented the sure thing from being named on every ballot.

Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Cy Young, Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams, Stan Musial,  Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and Mickey Mantle were not unanimous selections.  Neither was anyone else until . . .  a one-inning-at-a-time relief pitcher.  The best One-Inning Wonder ever, certainly, and a guy who clearly belongs in the Hall of Fame.  But hardly the one who most warrants being the first 100-percenter. 

It's just a function of a few things:

-The purging of the voter roles a few years ago leaves a lot of the stodgy old empty ballot morons without a vote. Shucks.

-The backlog has cleared some the last few years, so there was less strategic voting this year than the past few.