Yoda

Lynn Henning retiring

Henning was the only Tigers reporter with any flair and the only current one with any distinct personality. The only one to openly speculate. Sure, it was fun to argue/poke fun at his speculation, but he also had an undeniable passion for the beat that few others around the sport. His stuff was always fun to read and I give him credit for being the only local reporter to really discuss/highlight prospects/the farm. He will be missed.

• Like 1

Agreed.   I've given Lynn as much crap as anyone here but I'll miss him.  He's a decent fellow as well as passionate about baseball.   Grew up on a farm, I think that helped him.

I always liked Lynn because, as mentioned previously, he answered e-mails and seem personable enough.  I hope he has a very enjoyable retirement, lives as long as he wants and never wants as long as he lives.

• Like 1

I want to say Henning mentioned estrepe1 in one of his columns.  At some point, I had emailed him about something, and when he replied, he mentioned this forum and Brian.

Lynn will definitely be missed as a regular source for tigers news. I hope he still follows the team closely and provides his commentary through twitter as time allows. Or maybe he ends up doing a bit of freelance work at the athletic or something. 

I will echo what people have said about his graciousness via email. I probably emailed him 5 or 6 times about various things. One time was regarding the Elias rankings thing that I bumped yesterday. He couldn’t have been more apologetic about the misunderstanding and made a point to ask for Eddie’s contact info. Eddie’s post in the thread with Lynn’s email to him shows the level of class that Lynn has. 

• Like 1

With Lynn moving on, I hope the news gives Tony Paul more tigers-based assignments. He was unfairly brushed aside when Hackosky took over the beat from Gage, for some reason. 

14 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

So, we like Tony Paul now?  

Yes, as the member in charge of declaring “hack” status, Tony Paul was removed from the hack registry a couple years ago. I’m surprised you weren’t aware. 

55 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yes, as the member in charge of declaring “hack” status, Tony Paul was removed from the hack registry a couple years ago. I’m surprised you weren’t aware. 

I will try to keep better track of these matters. 

I think Paul is OK as far as reporting information.  He just tends to be a bit a bit silly about wanting credit for breaking stories which he didn't necessarily break.  Maybe he doesn't do that anymore.  I don't know.   

Now that he won’t have access to Tigers info (which was always questionable, anyways), I just un-followed him on Twitter.  Liberating.

Lynn sent me a very, very nice reply to my message wishing him well in his dotage.

No matter how much crap I gave him over his predictions he was and remains a gracious man.