Yoda

Lynn Henning retiring

I think the guy legit deserves his own thread. I dislike a lot of thing he says and how he says them, but the guy LOVES the Tigers and has done a ton for them over the years, in particular his minor league coverage. Something most mainstream guys tend to ignore. 

Wishing you the best, Lynn. 

• Like 2

We like to mock Henning, but I think he is more knowledgeable than his articles sometimes indicate.  I think sometimes he just writes stuff to get clicks because that's what The News wants him to do..  One thing I really like about him is how much research he puts into Hall of Fame voting.  Not too many seem to take that duty seriously, but he absolutely does.  

• Like 2

Unfortunately corporate cutbacks got another one. Better to take the buyout than to fight the bean counters 

Best of luck

17 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

We like to mock Henning, but I think he is more knowledgeable than his articles sometimes indicate.  I think sometimes he just writes stuff to get clicks because that's what The News wants him to do..  One thing I really like about him is how much research he puts into Hall of Fame voting.  Not too many seem to take that duty seriously, but he absolutely does.  

He better be careful.  Some of the shuffleboard targets are just unfairly too far away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Unfortunately corporate cutbacks got another one. Better to take the buyout than to fight the bean counters 

Best of luck

Took them 40 years but they got him?  😉   C'mon man let the guy go to Georgia and enjoy life.

Not to read too much into the tea leaves, but I wonder if the most recent string about Shepherd was his undoing whether it was his choice or the Detroit News'. 

From his days at the Lansing Journal to the News I have been reading him and wish him well. 

• Like 1

“When God closes a door (Matt Shepard hiring), he opens a window (Lynn Henning retirement).”

Lynn is my age so he’s due for retirement.  I wish him the best. If you email him he emails you back and it’s not just a canned reply that he gives to everybody. His erroneous judgments are the kind that a real fan would make, not just a dispassionate observer. I’ve always liked the way he combines those two roles.   

• Like 4

“Notice the silky set-up as Jake Rogers eases onto his haunches as neatly as dad slides into his La-Z-Boy.

Pay attention to the deft wrist-flicks as he receives – not catches, but receives – pitches of any velocity and, seemingly, any location within a 6-foot-1, 190-pound man’s reach.

And then, of course, there’s the arm. Rogers’ throws look like World War II tracer bullets.”

I’m really going to miss this.

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Not to read too much into the tea leaves, but I wonder if the most recent string about Shepherd was his undoing whether it was his choice or the Detroit News'. 

This decision was probably made weeks ago.  Both papers have made buyouts and such during this period.  

I will miss his work for sure.  Also remember when the tragedy at VT happened he wrote about Brian. 

One reason Lynn gave was that perhaps him going now could save a few jobs for younger people with families. 

yeah Gannett is in big trouble. And they are probably offering buyouts to their older/tenured employees. 

I'll miss him.  I wish we had more like him.  I actually questioned his sanity a couple places here in MTS.  I wondered if he was too much of a fan.  I've mellowed.  I get where he is coming from now. 

I wonder what his blog and/or podcast project is going to be?

3 hours ago, kdog said:

yeah Gannett is in big trouble. And they are probably offering buyouts to their older/tenured employees. 

Yeah, I imagine this is perfectly mutual, but I’ll also bet Lynn doesn’t really retire - he’ll turn up with a gig somewhere. Writing is usually more a vocation than a job. 

3 hours ago, kdog said:

Gannett doesn't own the Detroit News

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah, I imagine this is perfectly mutual, but I’ll also bet Lynn doesn’t really retire - he’ll turn up with a gig somewhere. Writing is usually more a vication than a job. 

I think you're right.   I know his wife spends much of her time at their place down south (Georgia I believe).  I'll bet he bases from there and does some freelance work or columns.  Maybe the Athletic?

He'll stay on Twitter for sure. I've read his columns for the past 40 years, I remember when he started, it was towards the end for Joe Falls. I'll miss him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I think you're right.   I know his wife spends much of her time at their place down south (Georgia I believe).  I'll bet he bases from there and does some freelance work or columns.  Maybe the Athletic?

You keep referring to Georgia. Where exactly?

6 hours ago, 1776 said:

It is surrounded by Florida to the south, Alabama to the west, Tennessee and North Carolina to the north, and South Carolina and the Atlantic Ocean to the east.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Casimir, you’re at the top of the class!

10 hours ago, 1776 said:

I'm not sure.  St. Simons maybe?   I know I've seen him refer to his wife being there while he was in the D.   I don't recall whether it was in a story or on the twitterz.   I think it was during ST which would make sense.