six-hopper

How about that Tom Brady and those New England Patriots!

Maybe the Lions would do better if they followed the Patriots' formula of always picking at the bottom of the draft order instead of at the top.  

Go Pats!

How about them yet again!

Brady and Belichick have been to 13 AFC Championship Games and won nine of them.   So this will be their ninth Super Bowl.  Also their third appearance in a row in The Big Game  and fifth in the last eight.  They have five Super Bowl wins -- so far.  

They're good.

I cannot wait until the investigation (my supposition that there will be one in the future) shows that they did more than just video tape the oppositions sideline or tamper with inflation rates of footballs etc.

I am not a 'hater' I do not really care that much either way, but I do have a very strong hunch that they are cheating like crazy over there to get an advantage.  Not the entire team just Bellichik.  I have nothing but a hunch to back that up.

I find it extremely hard to believe that a league that is BUILT upon parity has such a lopsided team winning just about everything all the time.

Brady is unquestionably (IMO anyway) the greatest of all time, and that is awesome IMO because he went to school in Michigan...not the school just the state.  

I love the fact that Brady went to Michigan the university. 

And yes, it is amazing that in a league that strives for parity, a team that always picks at the bottom of the draft has remained so successful for so long.  Brady and Belichick have been quite a combination.  And the schemes that the Patriots have come up with and the adjustments that they have made to continue to win as the roster has turned over and over, and without a bunch of Pro Bowl talent and without the weapons that so many think are important, are hugely impressive.  Right now they have no really speedy  receivers or vertical threats, and Brady understandably can't throw deep the way he used to, anyway, so they rely heavily on short throws and screens to "possession"-type guys like Edelman and Hogan and the now-lumbering (albeit tough) Gronkowski and their running backs -- and yet despite those limitations no one can stop them when it counts.

As for cheating, I don't know what Belichick can do in that regard that would explain his success, but maybe he is as Machiavellian as he is smart.  Whatever he does, it works.

13 hours ago, six-hopper said:

How about them yet again!

Brady and Belichick have been to 13 AFC Championship Games and won nine of them.   So this will be their ninth Super Bowl.  Also their third appearance in a row in The Big Game  and fifth in the last eight.  They have five Super Bowl wins -- so far.  

They're good.

I would have LOVED to see Brady and Belichick break up about 3 or 4 years ago and see what happened to them without the other.  My pet theory is that Brady is the reason Belichick is as good as he is.  He had a 41-55 record prior to the year Brady took over as his QB.

Obviously it's too simple to point at simply that, but it does make me wonder what the secret to success is?  It almost certainly is some combination of Brady and Belichick, but how much of one vs. the other?  50-50?  70-30?  90-10?

The only way to know for sure would have been for them to have split when Brady was still in his prime.  I doubt we'll see Belichick as an HC for very much longer (if at all) after Brady retires.  And I seriously doubt we'll see Brady as a starting QB for any HC other than Belichick.

To play Devil's advocate, you could just as easily say that Belichick is responsible for Brady's success, I mean Brady didn't look this good at Michigan and was a 6th round pick because of it.  It wasn't like he had this pedigree his whole life, he didn't turn into an elite QB until Belichick and the Patriots got a hold of him.   Also Belichick is 14-5 in games started by guys not named Brady during this run, obviously a small sample but shows that he has won at a high rate regardless of who the QB was.   

It’s amazing that the Belichick Patriots have been to more Super Bowls than they have road playoff games.  It’s a tribute to their greatness but part of their success is the tremendous home field advantage they have gained.   Some of that certainty has to do with how terrible the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets have been.   

In the 9 seasons since 2010, the rest of the AFC East has combined for 3 playoff appearances and 4 total seasons above .500.    If you take it back even further the Bills and Fish have been hot garbage for almost 20 full seasons now.   The Jets used to be formidable opposition in the first decade of BB but have been a total mess since.

18 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s amazing that the Belichick Patriots have been to more Super Bowls than they have road playoff games.  It’s a tribute to their greatness but part of their success is the tremendous home field advantage they have gained.   Some of that certainty has to do with how terrible the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets have been.   

In the 9 seasons since 2010, the rest of the AFC East has combined for 3 playoff appearances and 4 total seasons above .500.    If you take it back even further the Bills and Fish have been hot garbage for almost 20 full seasons now.   The Jets used to be formidable opposition in the first decade of BB but have been a total mess since.

This is an excellent point. It definitely helps to have six games a year against dregs, and an almost sure division championship (and bye that comes with it when you have six games against dregs). Obviously you still have to be a very good team to take advantage of that, but starting almost every run with a bye and home game helps a lot. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

To play Devil's advocate, you could just as easily say that Belichick is responsible for Brady's success, I mean Brady didn't look this good at Michigan and was a 6th round pick because of it.  It wasn't like he had this pedigree his whole life, he didn't turn into an elite QB until Belichick and the Patriots got a hold of him.   Also Belichick is 14-5 in games started by guys not named Brady during this run, obviously a small sample but shows that he has won at a high rate regardless of who the QB was.   

It's true that Carr  didn't ask Brady to make many kings of throws at M  - mostly lots of crossing routes - not too much long game IIRC, but he did what they asked pretty well.

1 hour ago, sagnam said:

That Patriots defense looked amazing tonight.

Because they were so well coached by The Rocket Scientist.  The Lions are lucky to have him.

L of a game.  Not the shootout we've become accustomed to in today's football, obviously, but incredibly tense, edge-of-your-seat stuff. It was like overtime in a seventh game in hockey -- for most of the game, it felt like one great play, one mistake, or one bounce could decide it.

When Steve Young asked Bellichick on ESPN 5 minutes ago what game gave the Patriots clues to stopping the Rams, Bellichick replied that he watched how the Lions played the Rams.  Didn't L.A. score 30 on the Lions?

5 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

When Steve Young asked Bellichick on ESPN 5 minutes ago what game gave the Patriots clues to stopping the Rams, Bellichick replied that he watched how the Lions played the Rams.  Didn't L.A. score 30 on the Lions?

Yeah, but it was a soft, illusory 30.  The Lions were in control the whole game.

9 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

That could well be just an avuncular pat on the back for Patricia.

8 hours ago, lordstanley said:

He did the opposite of what the Lions did

1 hour ago, CMRivdog said:

He did the opposite of what the Lions did

It does make sense that Belichek might have spent time with the Lions film just because as he watched it he probably could recognize what Patricia was trying to do in each defense with less guess work, and then could watch the result. That could have made the Lion's film useful to him even given that the Lions gave up the points they did.

Before this season, I wonder when was the last time the Lions beat a team that would go on to be Super Bowl champions.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Before this season, I wonder when was the last time the Lions beat a team that would go on to be Super Bowl champions.

The Lions have beaten that season's eventual Super Bowl winner on three previous occasions.

1981 -- Beat the 49ers 24-17

1999 -- Beat the Rams 31-27

2010 -- Beat the Packers 7-3

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

The Lions have beaten that season's eventual Super Bowl winner on three previous occasions.

1981 -- Beat the 49ers 24-17

1999 -- Beat the Rams 31-27

2010 -- Beat the Packers 7-3

In that case, I'd hang a few banners.