Hongbit

2019 College Football Thread

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Check the 2nd half of their schedule.  I hope they have life vests on board. 

Oh, I know its a soft 5-0.  They have a lay up at Rutgers and I would expect them to lose the rest.  6-6 on the season, 4-6 if you take out FCS and Rutgers (who should be FCS).

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

Oh, I know its a soft 5-0.  They have a lay up at Rutgers and I would expect them to lose the rest.  6-6 on the season, 4-6 if you take out FCS and Rutgers (who should be FCS).

It's why I hate polls before Week 8.   I  understand there is a need for them in the long run with 5 conferences and 4 playoff slots, but we don't know how good many of these teams are yet.   Does anyone believe that 5-0 Minnesota with the cupcakes they've played is better than MSU with losses to 2 ranked teams?    ....and I like PJ Fleck.    

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It's why I hate polls before Week 8.   I  understand there is a need for them in the long run with 5 conferences and 4 playoff slots, but we don't know how good many of these teams are yet.   Does anyone believe that 5-0 Minnesota with the cupcakes they've played is better than MSU with losses to 2 ranked teams?    ....and I like PJ Fleck.    

I agree with this but you don’t have to look to #25 to make the point.  

Why is Clemson ranked #2 and why doesn’t anyone seem to care?   There is no basis for them to be ranked higher than Ohio State or LSU.  Honestly they should be below all of the other undefeated teams and at #10.    Their only quality win was against an overrated A&M team that is about to be 3-3.   Total hogwash that they  didn’t fall at all after the NC game. 

10 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I agree with this but you don’t have to look to #25 to make the point.  

Why is Clemson ranked #2 and why doesn’t anyone seem to care?   There is no basis for them to be ranked higher than Ohio State or LSU.  Honestly they should be below all of the other undefeated teams and at #10.    Their only quality win was against an overrated A&M team that is about to be 3-3.   Total hogwash that they  didn’t fall at all after the NC game. 

My idea for the fix would be to have 4 super conferences,  8 divisions.  each division winner plays the other division winner in the conference for the title,  those four teams go to the playoff.   If you don't win your conference, you don't go to the playoffs.   Yes, some 2nd place teams will get screwed a bit, but they came in 2nd, so they don't get to go.    Then the Group Of Five has their own playoff because the NCAA (which could be gone in the near future - good riddance) will never let them in the big playoff anyway.   A team like UCF goes undefeated should have a shot at some kind of championship.    Sorry Notre Dame,  you'll have to join a conference.  

I’d like to see a 12 team playoff with the top 4 getting a first round bye.    No guaranteed bids or limit on conference participants but the highest ranked group of 5 must be one of the 12 

27 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’d like to see a 12 team playoff with the top 4 getting a first round bye.    No guaranteed bids or limit on conference participants but the highest ranked group of 5 must be one of the 12 

I like the idea of including one of the Go5, but the Power 5 isn't giving one of those conferences a single crumb.  

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My idea for the fix would be to have 4 super conferences,  8 divisions.  each division winner plays the other division winner in the conference for the title,  those four teams go to the playoff.   If you don't win your conference, you don't go to the playoffs.   Yes, some 2nd place teams will get screwed a bit, but they came in 2nd, so they don't get to go.    Then the Group Of Five has their own playoff because the NCAA (which could be gone in the near future - good riddance) will never let them in the big playoff anyway.   A team like UCF goes undefeated should have a shot at some kind of championship.    Sorry Notre Dame,  you'll have to join a conference.  

I used to think super conferences were the way to go, and then the Big Ten brought in Rutgers and Maryland.  They have been subtraction by addition.  Maybe its the old man's lawn deal with me.  But I don't see how any conference should be more than 12 teams.  It doesn't allow for some schools to play other schools in the conference over the term of a 4 year stretch, which I think is horse ****.

I'd go with an 8 team playoff.  Power 5 conference champions are in.  3 at large bids to be decided by a computer poll which rewards scheduling and wins over tougher opponents and reprimands teams that lose to inferior opponents and schedule FCS schools.  1 of those bids are guaranteed for a group of 5 (or 6 or whatever they are called nowadays).

And Notre Dame can figure out whether the ACC allows them included in their bid or whether they are fighting for the 2 at large bids with all of the other non champions.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I used to think super conferences were the way to go, and then the Big Ten brought in Rutgers and Maryland.  They have been subtraction by addition.  Maybe its the old man's lawn deal with me.  But I don't see how any conference should be more than 12 teams.  It doesn't allow for some schools to play other schools in the conference over the term of a 4 year stretch, which I think is horse ****.

I'd go with an 8 team playoff.  Power 5 conference champions are in.  3 at large bids to be decided by a computer poll which rewards scheduling and wins over tougher opponents and reprimands teams that lose to inferior opponents and schedule FCS schools.  1 of those bids are guaranteed for a group of 5 (or 6 or whatever they are called nowadays).

And Notre Dame can figure out whether the ACC allows them included in their bid or whether they are fighting for the 2 at large bids with all of the other non champions.

Well in any and all scenarios Michigan ain't making the playoff.  Not under Harbaugh. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well in any and all scenarios Michigan ain't making the playoff.  Not under Harbaugh. 

The Holiday Bowl is kind of nice.

They used 25.6 terabytes of data.

Ohio State breaks Wi-Fi records with 25.6 TB of data during Michigan State game

It turns out those were all warm-ups to the biggest Wi-Fi day so far, which came during a prime-time TV contest against Big 10 foe Michigan State. With 104,797 fans in attendance for homecoming, the approximately 2,000 Wi-Fi access points were humming from the time the gates opened. According to statistics provided to MSR by Ohio State, the network saw an astonishing 74,940 unique connections during the 34-10 Ohio State victory, many of those on a separate SSID for Verizon Wireless customers. According to Ohio State, the peak concurrent connectivity number of 45,200 users (also a record) was seen five minutes before kickoff.

Toledo went down to rival Bowling Green on a 9 game series streak and as a 27 point favorite with a home win over BYU under its belt and promptly got smushed 20-7.  BG had been outscored by 52, 28, 42, and 52 points in its 4 games vs FBS teams (including at Notre Dame) and there had been serious rumblings about whether 1st year coach Scot Loeffler was the right hire.  But he had been preaching about the importance of this game all along, and he clearly had his team (consisting of only 67 scholarships this season) ready to play and they were the better team on offense, on defense, on special teams, and on the sidelines.