ROMAD1

The National Emergency Over the Wall

I was wondering what would come of this so-called "national emergency" that POTUS is bandying about.   Will he conscript our teen children to go fight the women and children trying to seek asylum?    Would he use the military to force people back to work at the 40% of Federal agencies that don't have budgets?   If it is an "emergency" what measures will he employ? 

I wondered about that while I watched a commercial from POTUS' evergreen presidential campaign during the Michigan/IU game. 

12 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

I was wondering what would come of this so-called "national emergency" that POTUS is bandying about.   Will he conscript our teen children to go fight the women and children trying to seek asylum?    Would he use the military to force people back to work at the 40% of Federal agencies that don't have budgets?   If it is an "emergency" what measures will he employ? 

I wondered about that while I watched a commercial from POTUS' evergreen presidential campaign during the Michigan/IU game. 

He would not be constitutionally allowed to do this. Nonetheless, if it did happen, the result would be mass resignations and mass vacancies at many federal agencies. 

I would add that if he did this, he would have serious issues in Texas, at least with Texans who live around the border. Setting all this aside, the issue could potentially become a political flashpoint in this state. 

To that end, perhaps one could view the midterms in Texas (where Beto, Mike Collier, Justin Nelson, etc. came within 5% or less of wins, where Dems flipped a bunch of state seats and a couple of federal seats) as a one-off... but an issue like this risks alienating a state that is really important to the GOP at the federal level.

Obv. Trump is just reacting in the sophomoric way that is the only way he knows how.  Nixon at least had some brains. 

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

Yes,  even Dead Red Republicans in Texas are going to balk at that.    This is the kind of thing that could turn Texas blue.  It's not as far out of the question as we think.  It's about turnout.   You wouldn't have to sway that many on-the-fence Republicans.   Beto kind of showed that a couple of months ago.  

If Trump knew he could call a national emergency and build a wall and get away with it, he would have done it already.  This is all a show for his base.   

51 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If Trump knew he could call a national emergency and build a wall and get away with it, he would have done it already.  This is all a show for his base.   

He needs to be called on it.  

19 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

He needs to be called on it.  

If I've read it right, if Trump declares a national domestic emergency the House can originate a revocation bill, and the law says the Senate *must* then vote on that bill within some number of days (10?) - so McConnell cannot sit on it. Hard to imagine the GOP wouldn't lose enough votes that it passes  - I'd count Alexander, Collins, Romney, Paul, Sasse, Murkowski, possibly Pat Roberts now that he isn't running again all as soft for Trump on an emergency declaration - and if it's playing really bad in Tx, maybe even Cruz.

I remember when the GOP used to froth at the mouth over tyranny here.  Now actual real live tyranny shows up, and they've armed themselves just for this - just ask them -  and they're nowhere to be found.   Weak.

• Thanks 1

I'm old enough to remember when Obama declared a state of emergency so he wouldn't have to give up the presidency.

Talk about a constitutional crisis.

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

I remember when the GOP used to froth at the mouth over tyranny here.  Now actual real live tyranny shows up, and they've armed themselves just for this - just ask them -  and they're nowhere to be found.   Weak.

Tyranny is ok when it is your guy.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

****ing pfife barely beat me to it.

Eat a ****, pfife.

****, it's what's for breakfast

Chris Wallace is legit... he and Shepard Smith stand out on that network....

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

He did not follow up on this whopper though:

"Every life - that's what sets America apart from every other country; we value life*. That is what makes us unique."

*unless you are a filthy, diseased Brown.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Tyranny is ok when it is your guy.

I used to have a meme that really triggered people here, I looked for it and couldn't find it.   It basically said "It's not tyranny when we do it" - I think the thing that really triggered people was the nazi armband that had a GOP elephant instead.

I might actually go far enough to say Chris Wallace is the best Sunday show host.   I usually listen to all of them on podcasts and he's much more challenging to the guests than all the others.

18 minutes ago, Oblong said:

They are both out of place on Fox....and their viewership is unkind to them on social media.  I think their days are numbered.

18 minutes ago, pfife said:

I used to have a meme that really triggered people here, I looked for it and couldn't find it.   It basically said "It's not tyranny when we do it" - I think the thing that really triggered people was the nazi armband that had a GOP elephant instead.

I think you used that during the OMF era.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

He did not follow up on this whopper though:

"Every life - that's what sets America apart from every other country; we value life*. That is what makes us unique."

*unless you are a filthy, diseased Brown.

When I heard that, I wanted him to list all the nations that value life as much as we do.

I mean, in what way does England not value life similarly as we do?  Or Japan?  Or Sweden?  Or Germany?  Or whatever.

It reminded me of the early scene in the Newsroom where Jeff Daniel's character destroys the notion that America has the most freedom.