Sydney_Fife

Game 37: Jazz @ Pistons

3 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Because they’re in cap **** and going nowhere. They get a first rounder, a young SG, and a center that is much better than Mahami. I like Bryant but Andre is better. 

Then they would be in cap **** with two more crappy players and no Beal.  The first rounder isn't much value.

If they are going to blow it up, Charlotte could offer the better package.  Monk/Bridges/Biyombo plus a pick.  

13 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Then they would be in cap **** with two more crappy players and no Beal.  The first rounder isn't much value.

If they are going to blow it up, Charlotte could offer the better package.  Monk/Bridges/Biyombo plus a pick.  

if im charlotte, im pretty intrigued at the thought of a kemba/andre pick and roll offense.

Everybody ready for the Pistons to miss the playoffs and finish behind the Brooklyn Nets? 

LeVert has missed most of the season, too.

Pathetic!

25 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Just throwing it out there. So sick and tired of this group. Drummond had a good game tonight too. Bench was abysmal. Absolutely nothing from Johnson and Kennard. Both look like busts. 

i think kennard is still getting over his injury.

stanley is obviously a bust as a lottery pick.  decent defensive player but he cant shoot and he takes dumb shots.  

stanley could be a good role player on a well constructed team.  put him on okc and he's a second unit defensive demon who doesnt need to do anything on offense but dunk.

put him on the pistons and he's jacking up threes and taking wild drives to the basket because they have no one else to score and dont play well as a team.

all goes back to gores.  set the tone with dumars and "win now" with a bad roster.  continued by making svg coaxh and gm, a position he'd never held and predictably failed.

then trade for griffin, sign casey to big money, and expect a flawed roster to work miracles, all.in pursuit of an 8 seed and a first round exit.

better ownership that can afford to rebuild is what the pistons need.  not a guy who puts banners of himself up in the arena.

30 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Just throwing it out there. So sick and tired of this group. Drummond had a good game tonight too. Bench was abysmal. Absolutely nothing from Johnson and Kennard. Both look like busts. 

I would think Drummond could be valuable to some team but every game he plays with this current Piston team has to just drive down his value. It's just hard to believe SVG could be so dumb. There were a hundred ways he could have improved the Pistons around Andre - beginning with getting rid of Reggie, or by moving Andre, but instead he keeps Andre (and Reggie) and brings in a player that makes Andre even less useful than he was. It's really pretty unfathomable. I think if you keep Griffin both Reggie and Andre have to go, but how do you move them before their contracts are out without giving away 1sts, your only real asset beside Blake? That only leaves blowing up the whole thing  - and good luck moving even Griffin with that deal. They were bad under Dumars - but never this screwed-up/boxed-in/hopeless. I can never remember a team in Detroit this screwed up. We've had a lot bad teams, but never a team where you couldn't even figure out what a good path out would look like if management would at least follow it.

if they had drafted devin booker instead of stanley - or turner - they would have had a big offensive threat in a reggie/andre pnr with a dead eye shooter.

instead they take stanley, double down with ellenson, and then finally draft a shooter in kennard.

Just now, Buddha said:

if they had drafted devin booker instead of stanley - or turner - they would have had a big offensive threat in a reggie/andre pnr with a dead eye shooter.

instead they take stanley, double down with ellenson, and then finally draft a shooter in kennard.

true, SVG's utter draft incompetence is also huge piece of where they are now.

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Absolutely nothing from Johnson and Kennard. Both look like busts. 

To be fair, the only reason they look like busts is because they are.

31-13 first and then nothing. The most frustrating thing about this team is they can be so much more. I wish they didnt have the talent but you see flashes of what they could really be. 

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

Wasnt this all fairly predictable with Gores as owner?

IDK, Had Gores ever screwed up a sports franchise before?

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

IDK, Had Gores ever screwed up a sports franchise before?

No, but his lineage (Sterling) and persona/makeup seemed like clear warning signs.  I mean, whatever, they were doomed, but still.

15 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

No, but his lineage (Sterling) and persona/makeup seemed like clear warning signs.  I mean, whatever, they were doomed, but still.

Gotcha.

Since the death of Bill Davidson this organization has been absolutely clueless.  Captain Obvious.

12 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I’m calling Washington and giving them pretty much whatever they want for Beal. 

Or I’m trading Griffin and tanking. 

Pick your poison. What they’re doing right now is the definition of running on the treadmill. Kennard, Johnson, the 11th pick or whatever they get aren’t going to make much difference over the next few seasons. 

Go get him help or trade him. 

Yeah... OK.

I'm ready for this now. Throwing in the towel on Drummond...

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

Since the death of Bill Davidson this organization has been absolutely clueless.  Captain Obvious.

it took davidson a long time to get a good organization in place too.

he bought the team in 1974 and was there for the dick vitale years, probably the nadir of basketball in detroit.

that said, gores isnt really inspiring confidence at this point...

It has to be incredibly difficult for these successful businessmen to come in and try to run a sports franchise. To his credit, at least Gores isn't cheap and actually does try to win, even if I think every move he makes is wrong.  

He is using the same model he has probably used for every other business he has bought.  Dump a bunch of money into CapEx, go out and spend a lot on new and improved talent, sit back and wait to see the improvement.  

And I totally get why he doesn't blow it up.  Imagine telling a business owner you need to be totally awful the next 2-4 years, lose a ton of money, and then come out the other side looking pretty.  It probably doesn't make any sense to a guy like Gores.  

16 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

It has to be incredibly difficult for these successful businessmen to come in and try to run a sports franchise. To his credit, at least Gores isn't cheap and actually does try to win, even if I think every move he makes is wrong.  

He is using the same model he has probably used for every other business he has bought.  Dump a bunch of money into CapEx, go out and spend a lot on new and improved talent, sit back and wait to see the improvement.  

And I totally get why he doesn't blow it up.  Imagine telling a business owner you need to be totally awful the next 2-4 years, lose a ton of money, and then come out the other side looking pretty.  It probably doesn't make any sense to a guy like Gores.  

gores should realize that not all business models work for all types of businesses.  

gores cant be stupid.  someone must have told him that he needs a star player to win and that the only way he was going to get a star player to detroit was tank and draft one or trade for one, because no star is going to sign here.

The problem for any manager working out of his field of expertise is where to get expertise. When Ilitch hired Randy Smith it didn't seem like a bad hire. When Gores hired SVG it didn't seem like a bad hire. That 1st mistake is excusable, but by the second time around if you haven't done the homework to know who to hire, there is less excuse, and likewise, not learning enough about your enterprise to understand that SVG couldn't draft his way out of a paper bag long before last year is not a good sign either.

The situation with Ilitch was more complex both because a baseball team is much more complicated operation and because he had to be somewhat distracted from the team performance by the process of getting COPA built.

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Brooklyn about to be 20-21. 

They are better than the Pistons. 

Hahahahahaahahahahahhhh. 

for a team that hasnt had its own first round pick in like 5 years.  they leveraged the assets they had and used savvy moves (for the most part) to acquire other assets.  quite a well run team now that the russian owner gave up on his ambition to WIN NOW.

sounds like advice another franchise should heed.

btw, my favorite brooklyn nets stories are that bill simmons HATED the garnett/pierce trade and called it the poo poo platter.  its basically one of the greatest fleecings in nba history.  and then there was simmons who said the nets would get lebron and totally be a new nba dynasty because they had a billionaire russian owner who would spend anything to win.

just two examples of the idiocy of bill simmons.  but i digress...

On 1/5/2019 at 7:23 PM, Betrayer said:

Does any other team miss this many layups?

My daughter's 5th/6th grade team missed a bunch on Saturday.  But we could probably show the Pistons how to run an inbound play or some better passing.