chasfh

The 116th United States Congress (2019-2021)

Today is the day Democrats take control of half of one branch of government, and so, here is thread in which to post comments specifically about this 116th Congress.

4C0A5163-F929-4F6B-90BB-75AF9CA6964C.thumb.jpeg.ccff39f6b4047991b943bcd4f836a3a7.jpeg

F534C1D3-1304-4D6C-9B3D-8E8D5992ABAB.jpeg.d07e97e7739d80d7b95c8ad8dc47a22d.jpeg

8623A7D1-A243-4C85-B149-E3A00BF627E4.jpeg.e22f851f11037a68e7f953362ae03817.jpeg

B933C60D-F948-461E-B033-D21C510B777F.jpeg.d0324e7287fa58530aad1805a8508016.jpeg

• Like 1

The potential for accountability has returned to D.C.  The next 2 years will be fun.

20 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

What group of people are in that shot?  

I believe this is the traditional freshman class shot.

What time do they elect the speaker? I like watching stuff like that.

I’d been wondering exactly how Trump would go to Crazytown today as a way to take the focus off Democrats officially taking their seats as the majority in the House. Threaten war with Iran? Announce a new round of tariffs on Western Europe? Invite Putin, Duterte, Erdogan and Bolsonaro to the White House for a slumber party? Order a nuke dropped on Ottawa? 

Then it occurred to me this morning that perhaps he’s already done it—by forcing the government shutdown, that’s the thing we’re talking about more than anything else today. That might have been the real reason he undermined a spending bill already agreed upon by both Democrats and Republicans. 

Maybe he’ll choose something from Column A later today if he thinks that’s not enough.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’d been wondering exactly how Trump would go to Crazytown today as a way to take the focus off Democrats officially taking their seats as the majority in the House. Threaten war with Iran? Announce a new round of tariffs on Western Europe? Invite Putin, Duterte, Erdogan and Bolsonaro to the White House for a slumber party? Order a nuke dropped on Ottawa? 

Then it occurred to me this morning that perhaps he’s already done it—by forcing the government shutdown, that’s the thing we’re talking about more than anything else today. That might have been the real reason he undermined a spending bill already agreed upon by both Democrats and Republicans. 

Maybe he’ll choose something from Column A later today if he thinks that’s not enough.

The shutdown and yesterday's semi-incoherent 90 minute rant are the distractions.

If all goes according to plan, the House will pass the bills to get the govt back going again, and the Turtle will pretend the exact bills didn't unanimously pass the Senate 2 weeks ago, and McConnell will literally vote against his own bill, and the media will act like this is a good faith negotiation of some sorts.

7 minutes ago, pfife said:

If all goes according to plan, the House will pass the bills to get the govt back going again, and the Turtle will pretend the exact bills didn't unanimously pass the Senate 2 weeks ago, and McConnell will literally vote against his own bill, and the media will act like this is a good faith negotiation of some sorts.

It will be interesting to see if McConnell is willing to live and die by The Wall being that he's up for re-election.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I believe this is the traditional freshman class shot.

Oh,  of course.  Not sure why my mind didn’t go there.  

57 minutes ago, Oblong said:

What time do they elect the speaker? I like watching stuff like that.

The House convenes at noon. Speaker vote is first piece of business 

I heard that the Democrats not supporting the wall funding was all b/c of Nancy trying to become speaker, so at 12:01pm, clearly the Democrats will support the wall, unless Trump was lying which seems unlikely.

• Haha 2

Just now, pfife said:

I heard that the Democrats not supporting the wall funding was all b/c of Nancy trying to become speaker, so at 12:01pm, clearly the Democrats will support the wall, unless Trump was lying which seems unlikely.

Fox is a nutty network.

9 minutes ago, pfife said:

They have been pushing that narrative since the initial meeting in the White House.

Gotta keep ******* that chicken, I guess...

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Very rarely does this happen... normally party line votes

I note that Reed is from NY. But any progress is progress

21 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I note that Reed is from NY. But any progress is progress

Upstate, mind you. Outside of Tompkins County and Ithaca, his district is Trumplandia

Listening to C-Span's coverage and the lady who is talking does that thing where every sentence ends up sounding like a question due to how she emphasizes the words.... like Canadians do.

Mike Pence just swore in Ted Cruz With A Beard.

I'm watching the Senate feed now.... Romney is now Sen. Romney.

After the swearing in they go sign the book... the lady in the blue dress who handles that is stunning.... very stunning.  No ring either.

I need to find out who she is.

9 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Listening to C-Span's coverage and the lady who is talking does that thing where every sentence ends up sounding like a question due to how she emphasizes the words.... like Canadians do.

Upspeak and "vocal fry" have been hot topics of conversation about elocution in recent years, particularly as a way to distinguish how women speak versus how men speak:

https://www.npr.org/2015/07/23/425608745/from-upspeak-to-vocal-fry-are-we-policing-young-womens-voices

Many experts believe that upspeak is a weakness, a sign that the speaker is signaling uncertainty and, by extension, submission to whomever they're speaking to. Me, I've come around to thinking of it as a way for someone to keep the floor until they're done. As long as they end phrases with upspeak, to me, it sounds like a signal that they have more to say, and then when they finally end a sentence in downspeak, that's the signal that they're done, and then I can weigh in. I think you can hear this in play on interview shows like Fresh Air, or when someone is being interviewed on a news network. 

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I'm watching the Senate feed now.... Romney is now Sen. Romney.

After the swearing in they go sign the book... the lady in the blue dress who handles that is stunning.... very stunning.  No ring either.

I need to find out who she is.

So does Julie! :grin: 

• Like 1

I think I have a small fetish for professionally dressed women because my wife works in a hospital and wears scrubs so I never get to see her dressed like that.