Jump to content

lordstanley

January 2019 Game Threads

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

Looks like Green is back next game.

I wonder if the Wings have banked enough losses to ensure a high draft pick before the return of the team MVP.

Tied for 3rd worst in points now in the NHL, 2 points ahead of dead last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I wonder if the Wings have banked enough losses to ensure a high draft pick before the return of the team MVP.

Tied for 3rd worst in points now in the NHL, 2 points ahead of dead last.

Trade Nyquist. Trade Howard. Dead last assured...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I wonder if the Wings have banked enough losses to ensure a high draft pick before the return of the team MVP.

Tied for 3rd worst in points now in the NHL, 2 points ahead of dead last.

Flyers have one less game played too, so yay for that I guess!  I just simmed the lottery on Tankathon and the Wings got first pick so you can pretty much book it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I wonder if the Wings have banked enough losses to ensure a high draft pick before the return of the team MVP.

Tied for 3rd worst in points now in the NHL, 2 points ahead of dead last.

They were playing decent before the injuries. If they don't have more injuries I think they will  play too well to stay at the bottom long, With ~6 weeks to the trade deadline they would end up making up some ground even if they make a deadline deal or two. Of course the FO could always make the tank explicit and call up more young guys up and play them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McIsaac last night: 2 Goals, 1 Assist in a 7-1 Win

So far this year: 9 Goals, 18 Assists, 27 Points in 26 Games

9 Goals all of last year in 65 Games!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

McIsaac last night: 2 Goals, 1 Assist in a 7-1 Win

So far this year: 9 Goals, 18 Assists, 27 Points in 26 Games

9 Goals all of last year in 65 Games!

there is an NHL referee named McIsaac. Are they related? Would the league let a guy referee a game if his kid were playing in it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

there is an NHL referee named McIsaac. Are they related? Would the league let a guy referee a game if his kid were playing in it?

That's his uncle!  Jared's dad was a ref in the Maritimes too.  I honestly have no clue if there is a rule barring him from working Jared's game, interesting question!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure whether coaches-sons treatment at the minor hockey level is any indicator. But I'm guessing there is something like a 20-60-20 split of coaches who give their own kid easier treatment, treat their kid roughly the same as others or give their own kid tougher treatment respectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a bad summary in the Vancouver Sun this morning of the various rebuilds in progress around the league.

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ed-willes-adept-at-tanking-are-canucks-on-right-track-to-escape-rebuild-train/wcm/cd0ca86e-e91c-40da-8a01-710455beaf60

If you look at the NHL standings, you can identify a dozen or so teams that claim to be in some stage of a rebuild.

At least that’s what they tell themselves, and their fans. What it really means is they’re not very good.

Still, in analyzing those teams, the more difficult chore is slotting them into the various subcategories within the larger concept of rebuilding. Not all rebuilds, it seems, are created equally, and you just have to look around the league to understand that’s the case.

Toronto, Calgary, Columbus and Winnipeg, for example, occupied that place of existence for long stretches but have since moved into a much trendier neighbourhood, and we can be happy for them.

Then there are those organizations that appear to have evolved into real teams but haven’t been good enough, long enough to secure a complete and unconditional release from rebuild ****. These include Colorado, Montreal and, depending on the day of the week, Buffalo.

There’s also a third group that isn’t really rebuilding and not really peaking. They’re just trapped in this purgatory where they aren’t good enough to move up the food chain but are too good to accumulate marquee draft picks. The two best examples here are Dallas and Minnesota.

This brings us around to the fourth and largest group of the rebuild club, a collection of teams that, through their own ineptitude, have accumulated some attractive pieces in the draft. In time they could free themselves from rebuild bondage and join the Winnipegs and Torontos. They could also be trapped in that Dallas-Minnesota netherworld.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is there are at least 10 other teams in the same position. As it happens, the next six teams that blow through town — beginning Thursday with the Arizona Coyotes, running through Sunday and the Florida Panthers and continuing with the Oilers, Sabres, Red Wings and Hurricanes — are members, more or less, of that same club, which raises the question: Which of these teams will get it right?

Just wish like **** we could tell you.

Compare, for instance, the Canucks’ lineup and the Coyotes’ lineup. In the last four drafts, the Canucks have picked 23rd, fifth, fifth and seventh. The Coyotes have picked third, seventh and 16th and, in 2016, 23rd and fifth.

You know about the Canucks’ young core. The Coyotes, for their part, have assembled a nucleus of Clayton Keller, Jakob Chychrun and Alex Galchenyuk (the return for Max Domi) with centre Barrett Hayton coming.

So, tell me, who’s farther ahead?

You’d likely give the edge to the Canucks based on Elias Pettersson — and it isn’t funny how this conversation always comes back to EP. But if you’re looking at the two lineups through a Coyotes lens, you might have a different opinion.

That, moreover, is the same story for so many teams. Florida comes to town with Sasha Barkov, Aaron Ekblad, Jonathan Huberdeau and Jared McCann. The Oilers, sheesh, not sure what we can learn from them; and the Sabres, the next team in town, appear to be further along even if they’re just hanging on to the wild-card spot in the East.

That leaves us with the Red Wings and Hurricanes, who are in a similar position to the Canucks and Coyotes. Again, we’re painting with broad strokes here and each team has its own story to tell.

But the central theme is the same. They all boast some nice young pieces. That gives them some reason for optimism. But we also know only a couple of those teams will evolve into Stanley Cup contenders because, if history has taught us anything, it’s taught us it’s not as easy as tanking and accumulating high draft picks.

The art of the rebuild, in fact, is a complicated calculus in which drafting is the most important variable, but there are a half dozen others in the process. Player development is right up there. So’s trading. And signing free agents. And, when you get past that, there’s an element of blind luck involved.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another good loss.

look, everyone before the season said this was going to be a rough year and would probably be rock bottom.  they were right that the year has been rough.  hopefully they are also right that this is rock bottom.

trade nyquist and howard and complete the tank.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little Kivenmäki is up to 9 Goals and 22 Assists in 20 Games since moving down to the U20 division in Finland! He's staying there the rest of the season apparently, I think it will be good for him since he's playing 1C down there and getting a ton of minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Buddha said:

another good loss.

look, everyone before the season said this was going to be a rough year and would probably be rock bottom.  they were right that the year has been rough.  hopefully they are also right that this is rock bottom.

trade nyquist and howard and complete the tank.  

If they trade Nyquist and Howard this spring - as they should - and don't re-sign either, I can see the Wings being just as bad next year. Nyquist and Howard have been 2 of the Wings' best 5 players this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Buddha said:

another good loss.

look, everyone before the season said this was going to be a rough year and would probably be rock bottom.  they were right that the year has been rough.  hopefully they are also right that this is rock bottom.

trade nyquist and howard and complete the tank.  

 

3 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

If they trade Nyquist and Howard this spring - as they should - and don't re-sign either, I can see the Wings being just as bad next year. Nyquist and Howard have been 2 of the Wings' best 5 players this year.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/nhl-trade-rumor-red-wings-will-meet-with-jimmy-howards-agent-in-next-month

 

Well if you're hoping for pick(s), hopefully it is just a meeting of after season collusion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

If they trade Nyquist and Howard this spring - as they should - and don't re-sign either, I can see the Wings being just as bad next year. Nyquist and Howard have been 2 of the Wings' best 5 players this year.

I could see them moving Nyquist given that there is a lot of forwards in the system.

I always hate seeing them trade away goaltending. There is too much bad history of the Wings finding themselves short of it when they were otherwise in a position to win. I guess in Howard's case they may  get a nod and wink agreement to re-sign him after the season if they move him as a deadline rental, but you take a risk relying on that kind of thing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

If they trade Nyquist and Howard this spring - as they should - and don't re-sign either, I can see the Wings being just as bad next year. Nyquist and Howard have been 2 of the Wings' best 5 players this year.

Stevie Y will make it all better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I could see them moving Nyquist given that there is a lot of forwards in the system.

I always hate seeing them trade away goaltending. There is too much bad history of the Wings finding themselves short of it when they were otherwise in a position to win. I guess in Howard's case they may  get a nod and wink agreement to re-sign him after the season if they move him as a deadline rental, but you take a risk relying on that kind of thing.

Yeah but the issue here is: when are they ready for the playoffs again?

Next year? The year after? 2021? And subsequently, how effective is Howard next year, and the year after, and in 2021? Is he our next playoff goalie? If not, whether they sign him back in the off-season or not... doesn't matter to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess Howard wants to stick with the Wings badly. Might veto a trade. 

Or he could go for the playoff run and sign back here in the off-season.

But it's up to him. He might wanna be a one-team player for the Wings only and retire as a Red Wing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Yeah but the issue here is: when are they ready for the playoffs again?

Next year? The year after? 2021? And subsequently, how effective is Howard next year, and the year after, and in 2021? Is he our next playoff goalie? If not, whether they sign him back in the off-season or not... doesn't matter to me.

Jimmy came up young, he is 34, he could still be playing well into 2020's.  Sure - we have no idea what his health or skill level will be, but when it comes to goalies, I'm a big believer in birds in hand. Clearly if they *can* get a pick for him for the remainder of the year and then get him back - that's a great outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they can get a 1st... they just gotta do it. 

I think even with a 2nd plus another conditional pick... or a youngster goalie in the minors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I guess Howard wants to stick with the Wings badly. Might veto a trade. 

Or he could go for the playoff run and sign back here in the off-season.

But it's up to him. He might wanna be a one-team player for the Wings only and retire as a Red Wing.

I'm pretty sure his NTC is done: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jimmy-howard

 

With Holland, I wouldn't be shocked if he wouldn't trade Howard for less than a first round pick because of "loyalty" and same with Nyquist.  Although it would be nice to try to send them to a contending team in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Jimmy came up young, he is 34, he could still be playing well into 2020's.  Sure - we have no idea what his health or skill level will be, but when it comes to goalies, I'm a big believer in birds in hand. Clearly if they *can* get a pick for him for the remainder of the year and then get him back - that's a great outcome.

His injury history and age (currently the 12th oldest goalie in the NHL), coupled with the fact the Wings are far from contending, makes relying on him long term scary to me.  I would unload him at the deadline for the best deal I could get if I were GM.  Then try to sign him to a slightly above average goalie cap hit for a couple years to bridge the gap to one of the young guys in the system that hopefully step up. 

 

Otherwise, I don't think the Wings will be goodfor a couple years so Bernier as the starter would certainly be the tank commander at least?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,320
    • Total Posts
      2,855,739
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...