lordstanley

January 2019 Game Threads

There also is much less open ice / gaps are much smaller now than when Yzerman started.

Like I said, I could be completely wrong.  I have been wrong about so many things I lost count decades ago, and I am not a scout.

But I suspect he will have to learn how to manage the physicality of the NHL game before he is effective, and I think that will take at least a season from now based on what I saw.

Yeah, Hughes doesn't seem NHL-ready to me either.  At least not to come in and put up big numbers right away.

Kakko didn't dominate either, although he did score the championship winner with a minute to go.

Wings probably deserved at least a point today but a late Washington goal means a regulation 3-2 loss.  Mantha scored. Hronek scored with an assist from Larkin.

yes, lose baby lose, but why the **** is Jonathan Ericsson still here?     I don't understand this team's loyalty and love for that guy, he's absolutely terrible.  

you can't dump every contract in the minors. Ericcson, Abby, Helm, Nielsen, are going to be here unless the Wings pick up some of their money and trade. And they are all mostly unproductive that is serves the long term goals of losing.

The Athletic mentions Timothy Liljegren from Toronto as a possible trade bait this deadline (honestly seems like large speculation) but if there is any truth to it the Wings should definitely check on the price.  His hype died a bit going into his draft but I would love to inject some more young talent into the D prospects.

3 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

The Athletic mentions Timothy Liljegren from Toronto as a possible trade bait this deadline (honestly seems like large speculation) but if there is any truth to it the Wings should definitely check on the price.  His hype died a bit going into his draft but I would love to inject some more young talent into the D prospects.

for glendinning!  babcock loves that guy!

The Athletic also just put up a piece recapping how the Parise/Suter to Minnesota negotiations went down.  It seem like if Parise and Suter didn't team up for the Wild, Suter was a lock to Detroit for whatever amount of money he would want.  I wonder where Detroit would be at today if they had landed Suter.

5 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

The Athletic also just put up a piece recapping how the Parise/Suter to Minnesota negotiations went down.  It seem like if Parise and Suter didn't team up for the Wild, Suter was a lock to Detroit for whatever amount of money he would want.  I wonder where Detroit would be at today if they had landed Suter.

I'll have to read that article. I never really understood that Parise-Suter bromance. How and when did they become such close buds?  And even if they were good friends, there's no one outside of my spouse and kids that would have influence on a life-altering decision like Suter faced that free agency.  It would be like me deciding to buy a house so I could live on the same street as MCS.

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I'll have to read that article. I never really understood that Parise-Suter bromance. How and when did they become such close buds?  And even if they were good friends, there's no one outside of my spouse and kids that would have influence on a life-altering decision like Suter faced that free agency.  It would be like me deciding to buy a house so I could live on the same street as MCS.

It sounds like it wasn't planned originally and just kind of fell together with them talking about their free agency experiences.

More Athletic stuff.... Pronman listed Zadina in his WJC disappointments:

Martin Necas, C (CAR) and Filip Zadina, RW (DET), Czech Republic: Much was made about the performance of the Czechs’ top players. Zadina had one point, and neither were dominant. I don’t think they were that bad, but given what they did last year and what you expected of players of their caliber, they should have done more. I’ve heard Necas tagged as “best player outside the NHL” from some scouts who’ve watched him in Charlotte, and he didn’t show that here. I didn’t love Zadina’s compete level at times. Both made plays, Necas was a good all-around center who showed speed and skill, and Zadina showed better vision than I’ve seen in junior before, but neither left you excited about their play.

Tanking with integrity...the Ilitch teams play hard but lose b/c they are bad. 4 regulation wins since Nov 21st.

50 minutes ago, kdog said:

Tanking with integrity...the Ilitch teams play hard but lose b/c they are bad. 4 regulation wins since Nov 21st.

but this team has started reminding me of the early '80s era teams. They are not winning but the players are getting better instead of worse. They still need a handful more players - and a couple of them may already be in the system with a high pick coming next season. A move back into free agency for defensive help and it could get to be fun at LCA in maybe 2020. Of all the Det teams I the think the Wings are going to at least be fun again the soonest.

Paul Woods says he feels the Wings are a better team than the Canadiens and that the 12-point gap can be explained by injuries. Cites the Wings' better centre depth, but gives Habs castoff Jacob de la Rose as an example. Hmm.

2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Paul Woods says he feels the Wings are a better team than the Canadiens and that the 12-point gap can be explained by injuries. Cites the Wings' better centre depth, but gives Habs castoff Jacob de la Rose as an example. Hmm.

It's not much of a stretch to think the Wings are one goal better with DeKeyser and Green in the line-up. But until the Wings have enough depth to sustain a couple of injuries without that kind of drop off, it's hard to call them a good team.

Here's a Gordie Howe pic the Detroit News' Twitter account posted today. I've seen it before, but never gets old:

DwZpZKiXgAAETo7.jpg

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It's not much of a stretch to think the Wings are one goal better with DeKeyser and Green in the line-up. But until the Wings have enough depth to sustain a couple of injuries without that kind of drop off, it's hard to call them a good team.

I doubt those two combined are worth a goal but the lack of depth on defense is their Achilles heel this season.

6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Paul Woods says....

This is all that needs to be said.  Paul is homer of the highest order.

Not worth analyzing anything he says regarding the Wings.

I think they should use the top end of the draft to find the star forward because the contracts are longer and more unproductive(Nielsen, Abby, Helm). So you need cheaper guys. The disastrous defensive contracts aside from DeKeyser are much shorter in term. So I would look at free agency or trade in a couple years when the books are more cleared.

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

This is all that needs to be said.  Paul is homer of the highest order.

Not worth analyzing anything he says regarding the Wings.

Yeah, I've always found him to be vanilla, but when the Wings were great I guess it didn't really matter. It's more noticeable the past few years when his comments towards a clearly inferior Red Wings team are little different than they were before. Contrast that to how Dan & Jim have handled the Tigers' decline.

I stopped listening to him as an objective source a year ago (I think, maybe it was two?) when he was arguing the Wings should be buyers in the trade market because they were only a 3rd center away from being a threat to win the cup.

I love ya Paul, I honestly appreciate and admire the loyalty / optimism, but come the **** on.