lordstanley

January 2019 Game Threads

All Steve did was bend over at the waist and let Pronger go over the top of him.

On the topic of Chris, I feel bad for his poor quality of life owing to concussions, but when he whinged about the injury sustained on the Yzerman play and implied Yzerman should have let him (Chris) blow him up like a real man, well, that told me a lot about Chris.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

All Steve did was bend over at the waist and let Pronger go over the top of him.

On the topic of Chris, I feel bad for his poor quality of life owing to concussions, but when he whinged about the injury sustained on the Yzerman play and implied Yzerman should have let him (Chris) blow him up like a real man, well, that told me a lot about Chris.

I wouldn't shed too many tears for Chris, I just listened to him on Custance's podcast a couple weeks ago lamenting how soft the game is now and how the worrying about head injuries is making the game uninteresting and lack passion.  Basically was pushing stuff about how head injuries are overblown, we don't know how bad they actually are, don't know if there's a connection, etc.  And when Craig said he wished the NHL would protect the players from headshots more Pronger jumped to "so you want all hitting banned from the game?"  So he definitely doesn't mind his quality of life I guess...

hughes is also pretty young.  he'll grow.  how similar is he to patrick kane?

the defensemen sound particularly promising.

15 hours ago, Buddha said:

Patrick Kane seems to be the comp I see most with Hughes, but I'm not sure if it is just because he's a top pick from US Development.  I didn't ever watch Kane pre-NHL.

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

the defensemen sound particularly promising.

This is an important point as well.  I think his age paired with his development is the reason why he is as highly regarded as he is.

I trust scouts more than my eyes watching him a few games.  I do not doubt he will be very good.

I just don't see it happening next year.

People around the NHL seem to like the Leafs' trade for Muzzin. And I understand why. Which is why I don't like it.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

This is an important point as well.  I think his age paired with his development is the reason why he is as highly regarded as he is.

I trust scouts more than my eyes watching him a few games.  I do not doubt he will be very good.

I just don't see it happening next year.

Everyone is crystal balling over whether his 'frame' is likely to be able to support the needed added strength. I can picture scouts pouring over whatever pictures of his family members they can find....;)

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

People around the NHL seem to like the Leafs' trade for Muzzin. And I understand why. Which is why I don't like it.

I've been banging the trade for Muzzin or Martinez drum for years now, Muzzin in Toronto makes me sad as I really like him as a player.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't think anyone is too concerned about his brother Quinn's size and he is just 5' 10" 175 lbs.

I don't really have a that much of a feel for where ncaa hockey fits in between top juniors and the minors/NHL. I guess Quinn had one year playing against guys that were older and bigger at UM, even if not better, for teams to see before he was drafted. Some team will have to pull the trigger on Jack without that benefit.

Not that it really matters much, but I do remember Quinn getting really badly blown up at the WC last year haha.  So I guess the Canucks weren't deterred at least.

And Quinn looked real good at this years JWC.

Good enough that Vancouver toyed with keeping him in Vancouver if he quit school after the WC but decided to let him finish this season in AA and are planning on him playing in Vancouver next season absent an injury or significant regression.

Canucks are under the radar but have been building up a nice set of young players. Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser, Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes.

4 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Canucks are under the radar but have been building up a nice set of young players. Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser, Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes.

Call me when they develop a Glendening 

Rasmussen played his first game in Grand Rapids for his conditioning stint.  Two goals, first one on the powerplay getting the rebound from a Hicketts shot and an empty netter from Zadina.