January 12 - at Minnesota, 8:00pm

January 15 - Anaheim 6:30pm

January 18 - at Calgary, 8:00pm

January 20 - at Vancouver, 4:00pm

January 22 - at Edmonton, 9:00pm

8:00pm ET tonight: Wings lead Calgary 2-0

10:00pm ET tonight: Wings lose to Calgary 5-2

Larkin's point streak snapped.

My dad picked up Larkin in fantasy hockey yesterday so I knew his point streak was ending.  I'm on board with the team getting curly fries while still losing for a better pick, if they're gonna lose...

Any of the top 3-5 guys in the draft would be a top addition to this talent depleted org. So lose for Hughes or capitulate for Kappo...keep it going fellas.

Here are our rankings for December:

1. Jack Hughes, C, USNTDP, 5-foot-10, 168 pounds: The next proving ground en route to going first overall is on the big stage at the WJC.

2. Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS (Liiga), 6-foot-4, 207 pounds: Is a big piece for his home club playing against men, which might suggest dominance at the WJC, but that’s easier said than done.

3. Vasily Podkolzin, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (MHL), 6-foot-1, 183 pounds: Proved he could hang with the under-20s in an elevated role. Won’t get to Vancouver for the WJC, but he’s off to a great start in Bonneyville at the World Junior A Challenge.

4. Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL), 6-foot-3, 185 pounds: Struggled the first two weeks after the CIBC Canada-Russia series, but has been on a tear since. Will have to adjust to, but should benefit from, a decreased work load with Lethbridge’s recent trade additions.

5. Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon Blades (WHL), 6-foot-3, 195 pounds: Point production has slowed, but he’s dedicated to the craft, and a right shot centre with his size is an extremely coveted asset.

Sportsnet

4 hours ago, kdog said:

Any of the top 3-5 guys in the draft would be a top addition to this talent depleted org. So lose for Hughes or capitulate for Kappo...keep it going fellas.

Sportsnet

Wish there was a higher rated defenseman, but there is still time for kids to emerge... seems like the Wings should have pretty good lottery odds with how they're playing lately.

4 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Wish there was a higher rated defenseman, but there is still time for kids to emerge... seems like the Wings should have pretty good lottery odds with how they're playing lately.

i have a feeling the red wings are going to trade some of their surplus forward talent for a defenseman.  probably to some team who will need to move someone before the expansion draft.

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Kinduv a weird world juniors. Not big numbers for big names like Hughes, Kakko, Zadina and Necas. And host Canada is already out after the quarters, as are the Swedes.

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/traikos-this-years-world-junior-hockey-championship-a-dud-for-scouting/wcm/383f011c-0689-4ddc-a289-7bf4a6aad8af

Have you been to any games?

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

Have you been to any games?

Had to give away my tickets for Russia-Czech last Friday, but will be going to the Russia-USA semi tomorrow 1pm PT. With Team Canada eliminated, the Anericans moved into the Vancouver Canucks' dressing room today.

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

i have a feeling the red wings are going to trade some of their surplus forward talent for a defenseman.  probably to some team who will need to move someone before the expansion draft.

Counting on this...

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

I always hoped the stars would align for Trouba to come back to Michigan.  He'll be a RFA again after this season.

Some pics from Team USA's 2-1 win over Russia this afternoon. Arena was full. I had Row 2 seats just inside the blue line in the zone the Americans attacked twice.

Opening faceoff

opening faceoff .jpg

Hughes taking the draw

hughes.jpg

Sad Russians

russians sad.jpg

Happy Americans

anthem.jpg

• Like 1

Am now at the Switz-Finland lopsided semi-final. This evening's 7th row is better place from which to watch a hockey game than this afternoon's 2nd row - 12th row might be ideal.

Wings tied 2-2 with Nashville midway through 3rd. Am listening to Ken & Paul during intermission  of my game. Sounds like Mantha playing decent return. Misses a 2 on 0 opportunity to take the lead though.

To answer Dan Leach's question, despite Stafford's down year I'd still put him ahead of Larkin. Not Miggy anymore unless he returns to decent health. As for Blake Griffin, maybe for this year, but surely Larkin has a better future?

Dan LeachVerified account @DanLeach971
FollowFollow @DanLeach971
More

Is Dylan Larkin the best athlete in Detroit right now? Blake is fantastic , but I don't think anyone means more to his team right now than Larkin

https://twitter.com/DanLeach971/status/1081404378911784961

13 hours ago, lordstanley said:

To answer Dan Leach's question, despite Stafford's down year I'd still put him ahead of Larkin. Not Miggy anymore unless he returns to decent health. As for Blake Griffin, maybe for this year, but surely Larkin has a better future?

Dan LeachVerified account @DanLeach971
FollowFollow @DanLeach971
More

Is Dylan Larkin the best athlete in Detroit right now? Blake is fantastic , but I don't think anyone means more to his team right now than Larkin

https://twitter.com/DanLeach971/status/1081404378911784961

Sorry, Stafford is not better than Larkin right now.  Larkin is showing absolute and definitive leadership.  He's getting a little be of a nasty edge to him.   He wants that "C" and he's earned it.   I don't know why they are waiting...........

Hughes may well be the best prospect in the upcoming draft, but he does not look like he is NHL ready to me based on WJC.

I'd guess he spends at least a season in the minors / juniors.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Hughes may well be the best prospect in the upcoming draft, but he does not look like he is NHL ready to me based on WJC.

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t go straight to the NHL but all I really care is that Luc Robitaille and Rob Blake get to make that decision.  

its going to take a lot more than hughes to fix the kings.  that team is stuck in salary ****.

Maybe it wasn't his best tournament, and maybe I am too critical and a ****ty judge of talent, but he consistently was forced off the puck pretty easily.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I guess at the start of next season he would be the same age as Yzerman was as a rookie but it can't help that he is listed as even smaller than Yzerman was. Of course, at 17 and change he may still be growing.