Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Game 36: Pistons @ Grizzlies

Pistons 13-0 run. Who are these guys? 

Huge road win on the end of a back to back. Last game of the trip too. 

Theyre 17-19 coming home. Jazz Saturday, they’ll be on a back to back. Spurs Monday. 

2 big games there before heading out west for 4. Can they win those 2 at home and get back even?

Jaren Jackson with the Lopez bomb. 

26/10 and hardly missed tonight. Very good defender. 

He will be a perennial all star. 

I will never forget those 2 Piston losses to Memphis in 15/16. 

Matt Barnes hitting a half court buzzer beater with time still left on the clock to dribble up the floor and get a much better look. 

Then the game in Memphis. They were just pouring in ridiculous shots. Barnes was like 5/5 from deep. Mario Chalmers hit some prayer to win it. 

Pistons still made the playoffs, but I vividly remember those 2 games. 

So can anyone recall the last time the Pistons played against an opponent who averaged at least 20 points and then scored none in a game where the player actually had a decent amount of playing time? I'm sure it happens but I can't remember one right off top of my head.

Jackson played well tonight. 

Pistons need to beat Utah on the end of a back to back for them. 

Spurs at home is winnable. 

Back to .500 before the 4 game trip would be huge. 

Good win on the road. Need more of those. Was nice to see Luke hit some shots at the end there. Blake was the team again, really facilitating more than pounding it inside until he needed to. Stefanski better be burning up the phones trying to get some perimeter help for this guy. That, or just move him and everyone else for picks. All in or all out. I'm tired of 9th seed.

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

but who would want him?

straight up for beal or porter? not sure if washington is dumb enough to deal beal.  hopefully the pistons arent dumb enough to deal for wall.  porter maybe?

i cant see anyone else who really needs an inside rebounding presence like drummond that would be interested.  sure, boston seems to always be in need of rebounding, but drummond cant play with horford and horford is such a key player for them i cant see them getting rid of him for a knucklehead like andre.

portland?  he cant play with nurkic.  phoenix has ayton already.  is charlotte that dumb and can he play with zeller? 

You will not get a player like Beal or even Porter for Drummond.  Maybe if the Pistons added picks, but not straight up.  Nobody is trading a 40% three point shooter for Drummond.  

That is the problem with Detroit.  It's two highest paid players are Drummond and Griffin.  Neither one does a thing in the modern game to make your team better.  They spend over 50% of their cap on two guys that don't help.  

Except that Blake's one of the best 3pt shooters on the team at 36.3 and also leads the team in Assists at 5.2. His game has evolved and he does plenty in today's game from the PF spot - not 31M worth, I agree, but plenty.

Dre and Jackson with 24% and 23% Usage need to go. He needs some NBA players around him. Jackson is shooting 40%/34% on the season. He's making 17M for through next year and Leuer is making 10M for that same time period. And of course we all know that Dre is making 25M+ for the next 3 seasons. That's over 50M. Find a way to get rid of those salaries and you can make a team good enough for 4th/5th seed in the East.

The other option is to burn it all down and try to move Blake, but good luck with that. Nobody is taking on that 30M contract.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

You will not get a player like Beal or even Porter for Drummond.  Maybe if the Pistons added picks, but not straight up.  Nobody is trading a 40% three point shooter for Drummond.  

That is the problem with Detroit.  It's two highest paid players are Drummond and Griffin.  Neither one does a thing in the modern game to make your team better.  They spend over 50% of their cap on two guys that don't help.  

griffin can fit into any era.  andre could be if he would stop doing dumb things.

honestly, what's the difference between andre and clint capela?  neither can shoot, both are athletic.  cant the pistons use andre like the rockets use capela?  pick and roll to the basket.  rim runner.  get back on d and defend.

if andre would just DO those things instead of posting up, try to shoot running layups, hook shots.  just get to the basket and dunk!

i'm pretty sure thats what svg envisioned him to be when he brought in reggie, but andre wants the ball in the post.  andre thinks he embiid.  if he ever realized that he doesnt have to try to be olajuwon to be a great player, i think he could fit in the modern nba just fine.

that said, he seems to make marginal improvements in one area or another from year to year but never puts it all together.  eventually that athleticism is going to decrease to the point where he's no longer an athletic talent waiting to be harnessed and turns into a fat, soft kyle o'quinn.

of course drummond, for all his shortcomings and disappointing play that is out of style with the modern nba, is still productive at times.  greatly productive on occasion.  the real issue is reggie.  his fall from good but flawed point guard to bad point guard has really killed them.  yes, bringing in blake neutered his game but he could still be useful if he still played pnr and drove to the basket like he used to.  but now his horrifically bad defense isnt even covered up by good offense and its killing them.

• Like 1

drummond to the bulls for jabari parker and justin holliday...

gives the pistons a shooter and a $20 million contract that has a team option for next year.  you get rid of andre's deal for salary and shooting this year and free up $25 million next year.

bring jabari off the bench with a second unit of defense guys.  or just bench him because he's one of the worst players in the league on defense and a turnover machine on offense.  holliday is in a slump.now but is a good shooter.

i doubt either team would do it because the bulls think they can sign a free agent next year and might be able to wrangle a #1 pick for holliday and the pistons seem wedded to drummond.

otoh, the bulls did sign an over the hill ben wallace a few years ago and are generally a dumb front office, and the pistons might realize andre/blake doesnt work.

With all due respect, that's rubbish. Blake is exactly what a modern day big is all about with his ability to handle the ball and stretch the court.

No argument about Drummond. There's a place for a player like him in the league but not as your highest paid player.

9 minutes ago, Buddha said:

griffin can fit into any era.  andre could be if he would stop doing dumb things.

honestly, what's the difference between andre and clint capela?  neither can shoot, both are athletic.  cant the pistons use andre like the rockets use capela?  pick and roll to the basket.  rim runner.  get back on d and defend.

if andre would just DO those things instead of posting up, try to shoot running layups, hook shots.  just get to the basket and dunk!

i'm pretty sure thats what svg envisioned him to be when he brought in reggie, but andre wants the ball in the post.  andre thinks he embiid.  if he ever realized that he doesnt have to try to be olajuwon to be a great player, i think he could fit in the modern nba just fine.

that said, he seems to make marginal improvements in one area or another from year to year but never puts it all together.  eventually that athleticism is going to decrease to the point where he's no longer an athletic talent waiting to be harnessed and turns into a fat, soft kyle o'quinn.

of course drummond, for all his shortcomings and disappointing play that is out of style with the modern nba, is still productive at times.  greatly productive on occasion.  the real issue is reggie.  his fall from good but flawed point guard to bad point guard has really killed them.  yes, bringing in blake neutered his game but he could still be useful if he still played pnr and drove to the basket like he used to.  but now his horrifically bad defense isnt even covered up by good offense and its killing them.

Any player fits in any era at the right price.  Cut his salary in half and he's OK.

The difference between Capela and Drummond is Harden.  A real star who makes players around him better.  Put Drummond on a team with a star or two and he would look much better.  And I mean a real star.  Not the abused Pistons fan version of a star.  The neglected fan base for the past ten years who thinks Griffin is a top 5-10 player.  A legit modern star with the ability to handle the ball and break down a defense.  

You also need a guy or two to put a player like Drummond in his place.  It can be a coach or a player, but they need someone.  Put Drummond with Harden or Paul and let him take one of those dumb running shots from the elbow.  He would never get the ball again unless he rebounded it.  

8 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Any player fits in any era at the right price.  Cut his salary in half and he's OK.

The difference between Capela and Drummond is Harden.  A real star who makes players around him better.  Put Drummond on a team with a star or two and he would look much better.  And I mean a real star.  Not the abused Pistons fan version of a star.  The neglected fan base for the past ten years who thinks Griffin is a top 5-10 player.  A legit modern star with the ability to handle the ball and break down a defense.  

You also need a guy or two to put a player like Drummond in his place.  It can be a coach or a player, but they need someone.  Put Drummond with Harden or Paul and let him take one of those dumb running shots from the elbow.  He would never get the ball again unless he rebounded it.  

i think youre being too hard in griffin.  he's still very good.

agreed on harden/paul with drummond.  that's what svg wanted with reggie.  never quite happened because reggie aint harden...or paul....or dj augustin as it turns out.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

i think youre being too hard in griffin.  he's still very good.

agreed on harden/paul with drummond.  that's what svg wanted with reggie.  never quite happened because reggie aint harden...or paul....or dj augustin as it turns out.

I'm just doing a poor job explaining myself.

I think Griffin is a very good player.  I don't think his skills translate to the current game.  If it was 1992 he would be a top 5 players.  But the game has changed so much in the past decade, players like him provide a lot less value.

Go look at the standings.  How many playoff teams have a C or PF as their top 2 player?  Philly, Denver, and the Clippers?  Thats it.  I know Giannis plays PF and Tatum plays there a lot as well. Durant in Golden State.  But those guys were SF's a decade ago.  

How many of the best bigs in the league wont even sniff the playoffs?  KAT, Davis, Drummond and Griffin are iffy at best.  Vuc in Orlando probably wont.  Love has been hurt, but even healthy Cleveland wouldn't have done anything.  

The game has changed since we were kids.  

I watched the game, but I still don't believe that it happened.

The difference between Capela and Drummond is Harden. 

I think there are lot more differences than just that. One look at their bodies and you can see that. People like to call Dre athletic, and he is for a 280 lb big man, but he doesn't have the athleticism of a guy like Capela (6'10", 240). He's also an idiot and although everyone seems to keep saying, "if he could just.." or "if he would only stop...", the fact is that he won't. He's not 21 anymore. He's a grown man who's played 7 years in the league. He is who he is: Dumb, stat watcher, average defender, poor help side defender, not nimble enough to be in an effective switching scheme, lazy half the time, momentum killer, poor court awareness and even worse self awareness. What he's good at: Rebounding and getting a bunch of empty rebounds off of his own bad shots.

Players like that don't create winning basketball no many how many empty double-doubles they get. Classic Pistons' overvaluing their own assets and reluctance to move on.

The Pistons are going to catch the Lakers without Lebron.  That will help the road trip a bit.  

Like Del said, Pistons will miss LeBron. 

Pistons @ Lakers on Wednesday. 

I imagine they’re looking at resting Blake soon. I wouldn’t do it against the Lakers or Sacramento because they’re both winnable. Maybe at Utah, which is the last leg of the trip.