Sydney_Fife

Game 34: Pistons @ Magic

13 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I should clarify that if someone wanted to choose the say 1975-1984 time frame as their personal worst, I'd counter that the Pistons had young talent and there was reason for hope at the end.

It is hard for me to say that at any point in time from 2009-2018 did the Pistons truly have any kind of real hope.  Andre Drummond and crew never had the kind of potential upside as the early to mid 80's Pistons in my opinion.

There isn't even reason for debate on this.  In 82-83, the Pistons had Thomas (who has no equal in this current era), Johnson, Laimbeer, Tripiucka (who was flipped for Dantley who was flipped for Aguirre),.....  And that's that.  The current amalgamation is already outclassed by that former grouping.

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

BTW: the one constant for the new Pistons?  Tom Gores.  Ownership without a plan (or with the wrong plan) can really kill a franchise.  And Gores has killed this franchise, IMO.  I know its mostly speculation, but I think he's set the "playoffs or else" tone that has kept them running in place for a decade.

Does anyone else think its plausible that the current stagnation goes on, Gores is soon tired of it, and sells to a group out of Seattle?

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Does anyone else think its plausible that the current stagnation goes on, Gores is soon tired of it, and sells to a group out of Seattle?

i dont know about gores.  on the one hand, he's a guy who flips corporations for a profit after ripping them up.  on the other hand, he's probably the typical nba owner who owns the team as a vanity purchase and likes being the owner of a sports team.

If Gores wanted to flip the team he wouldn't care so much about making the playoffs or moving to down to Detroit.   He would've stayed at the Palace which he owned, put together a terrible team with a low payroll and just watched the team go up in value.  Instead every move he made hurt his investment all at the cost of him wanting to have a better team.    Plus there is no way the NBA would allow the team to leave Detroit.   The Michigan and Windsor market is too big for them to let a team leave here.   

He isn't going to sell.  The Pistons are a dream investment for a guy like Gores.

They lose money every year.  So that is a write-off for him against his other yearly income.  But they have gone up in value at an astronomical rate since he bought them.  He paid $350M eight years ago, Forbes estimates their value at over a billion dollars now.  I would guess they get close to $1.5B if he sold now. 

So he is getting the write-off now and is set for a big payday when he does sell.  It doesn't get much better than that.  

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

If Gores wanted to flip the team he wouldn't care so much about making the playoffs or moving to down to Detroit.   He would've stayed at the Palace which he owned, put together a terrible team with a low payroll and just watched the team go up in value.  Instead every move he made hurt his investment all at the cost of him wanting to have a better team.    Plus there is no way the NBA would allow the team to leave Detroit.   The Michigan and Windsor market is too big for them to let a team leave here.   

So the argument is that Gores is an owner that wants very much to win but has no clue how to do sports franchise management because it is just a different animal from the business world he inhabits - he has no transferable expertise but he hasn't quite learned that yet? That is a plausible scenario, but little source of optimism for Det fans as there is nothing that says he ever will learn to do it right.

On 12/31/2018 at 12:04 AM, Deleterious said:

Where are you getting that from?

NBA.com got rid of a lot of great stats and I can't find them anymore.

Somebody had it on DBB. 

Chandler Parsons for Jackson? :)