Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

10 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It’s a very difficult issue to deal with, because I agree with your sentiment. 

But it’s also true that these sports teams are often operated as some sort of public office. They have regular press conferences and deal with constant media scrutiny. Everyone has an opinion on how they operate and what they should do. 

There are very few analogous situations. The closest thing to me seems like a political position. You’ve got people out there that get ruined politically due to some personal scandal or malfeasance. Does it mean they can’t still govern or craft policy better than most? Of course not, but they still feel the effect all the same. 

At the risk of getting too political, it ends up depending on the “values” of your constituency when it comes to what behavior becomes disqualifying. 

i think you see the situation all the time now in all walks of life: business, entertainment, politics, and sports.  ask james damore or aziz ansari or the ceo who was fired for making an anti gay marriage political donation.

corporations of all types are overly sensitive to being attacked as unwoke.  its easier for them to just fire the employee who may have said or done something that offended people rather than defend them.

i dont condone kareem hunt hitting a woman or hitting anyone for that matter.  but to me, thats a situation handled by the criminal courts, he shouldnt lose his job over it.

14 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i think you see the situation all the time now in all walks of life: business, entertainment, politics, and sports.  ask james damore or aziz ansari or the ceo who was fired for making an anti gay marriage political donation.

corporations of all types are overly sensitive to being attacked as unwoke.  its easier for them to just fire the employee who may have said or done something that offended people rather than defend them.

i dont condone kareem hunt hitting a woman or hitting anyone for that matter.  but to me, thats a situation handled by the criminal courts, he shouldnt lose his job over it.

Those are other good examples. But there is a common thread among them in that these are all public figures. I don’t think it’s unreasonabe for a public figure to be held to a different standard when it comes to public perception and support. 

I don’t think anyone should be barred from seeking a position, either. But entities have a right to set their own standards, too. 

58 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Employers also have a responsibility to provide a safe and fear-free environment for all of their workers.   I can’t imagine coming to the office and being forced to work with someone that was caught on video committing acts of violence like what Kareem Hunt did.    

I would hope that my employer would feel the same way even though this happened outside of the workplace and no criminal charges were brought against him.   

18 hours ago, Shelton said:

The Lions suck

This. 3 words is all it takes.  But I'll add about 200 more. : )

We get an OC who loves to run the ball. In 2019? It's a passing league and all of our receivers are traded, released or injured. And our only decent RB only played half a season because of injuries. This new coaching staff/GM has taken us close to Matt Millen depths. We better have the best defense in the league (to win 6 games) because our offense is going to stink. This also should answer the question about Stafford being moved. Why would we need a $28 million a year QB to hand the ball off? Stafford is gone...his strength is throwing the ball. Run, run, pass, punt. Welcome to the Lions 2019 game plan. 

Trying to find the upside in this hiring and failing. Just wait for the training camp spin we'll be hearing. I will NOT be drinking the kool-aid this year. I refuse. Of course, I've been saying that for close to 50 years.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

We get an OC who loves to run the ball. In 2019? It's a passing league and all of our receivers are traded, released or injured. And our only decent RB only played half a season because of injuries. This new coaching staff/GM has taken us close to Matt Millen depths. We better have the best defense in the league (to win 6 games) because our offense is going to stink. This also should answer the question about Stafford being moved. Why would we need a $28 million a year QB to hand the ball off? Stafford is gone...his strength is throwing the ball. Run, run, pass, punt. Welcome to the Lions 2019 game plan. 

Trying to find the upside in this hiring and failing. Just wait for the training camp spin we'll be hearing. I will NOT be drinking the kool-aid this year. I refuse. Of course, I've been saying that for close to 50 years.

He ran the ball cause he had Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch at rb. He'd be a fool to be pass Happy with them in the backfield.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I think there's a lot more we'd need to know though... I mean 60-40... there's not enough detail there.

For example, how many of those running plays were QB scrambles, either by design or improvised?  When you have a QB like Wilson who is more mobile you'll probably have a bunch in running plays.

How many of the runs were "run out the clock at the end of game when we're ahead" runs?  I'd suspect that better teams have a higher run to pass ratio as they're probably running out the clock more at the end of games.

That's not to say that Bevell won't have more running than we've seen in the past, but I don't know that he was necessarily targeting 60/40.

I don't think that has anything to do with what I am pointing out (unless you are thinking that a full 20% of their run plays were actually counted as pass plays).   I don't know how this stat was calculated, I didn't write the blog that referenced it or the post that referenced the blog.

Just to be clear, what amount do you think those situation change?  1%, 5%, 10%?  How much different is that then the rest of the league?

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

The problem with this is...

If you don't have an explosive offense (can we get one? Do we have the personnel? Can we get the right personnel?); the only way to beat a team like that is to keep the ball away from them.

I don't mind an overpowering run offense as long as... we have the O-Line and... overpowering run offense... to be successful.

I'm not worried what kind of offense we have... only one thing matters to me: that we win. No matter how we do it.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Those are other good examples. But there is a common thread among them in that these are all public figures. I don’t think it’s unreasonabe for a public figure to be held to a different standard when it comes to public perception and support. 

I don’t think anyone should be barred from seeking a position, either. But entities have a right to set their own standards, too. 

james damore was not a public figure.  nor was the ceo of mozilla or whatever company it was.  their actions were made public but they were not in the public sector or the entertainment industry.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Employers also have a responsibility to provide a safe and fear-free environment for all of their workers.   I can’t imagine coming to the office and being forced to work with someone that was caught on video committing acts of violence like what Kareem Hunt did.    

I would hope that my employer would feel the same way even though this happened outside of the workplace and no criminal charges were brought against him.   

true, but kareem hunt plays football, which is all about violence.

i also believe one mistake shouldnt ruin your life and that people deserve due process before judgment is rendered against them.  hunt was done in by the court of public opinion.

give it time.  adrian petersen is back in the nfl.

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It’s a good article. I think Bevell is a good hire. A base hit, maybe he can stretch it into a double, but not a strikeout. And not a home run. 

This is Quinn’s prove-it year. He’s going to have to take a risk somewhere, on the player personnel side. 

16 minutes ago, Buddha said:

james damore was not a public figure.  nor was the ceo of mozilla or whatever company it was.  their actions were made public but they were not in the public sector or the entertainment industry.

I had to look up who James Damore was just now. I guess we can just disagree on what makes someone a public figure. I think a CEO of a large corporation is sufficiently public. 

In the case of damore, I don’t know. You work for google and feel the need to publish a memo, internal or otherwise, that says women aren’t biologically suited to work in tech jobs. I think you know what you getting yourself into. You write and spread something like, you should expect that there is a good chance it is going to be made public, and I don’t think anyone should expect that they can keep their job at such a high profile company after that. 

If a guy like James damore was accused of hitting his girlfriend, that’s not news that is probably going to spread. 

I like Bevell much more than a few of the other names that had been throw out like Sark, Hackett, and Haley.  

I am a little concerned because Russell Wilson is such a dynamic player and makes so many things happen out of thin air.  It’s hard to tell how many of those Bevell playcalls were genius moves or complete busts that Russell instead turned into something.   

Also does this at least bring the possibility of Kyler Murray at #8 on the table for discussion?  Bevell was the one that found Wilson and brought him up from day 1.   They could be hoping for him to do it again.  It would also buy Quinn and Patricia more time.  

20 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I had to look up who James Damore was just now. I guess we can just disagree on what makes someone a public figure. I think a CEO of a large corporation is sufficiently public. 

In the case of damore, I don’t know. You work for google and feel the need to publish a memo, internal or otherwise, that says women aren’t biologically suited to work in tech jobs. I think you know what you getting yourself into. You write and spread something like, you should expect that there is a good chance it is going to be made public, and I don’t think anyone should expect that they can keep their job at such a high profile company after that. 

If a guy like James damore was accused of hitting his girlfriend, that’s not news that is probably going to spread. 

damore never said that, nor did he post a memo saying it.  it was an internal post on a google message board. 

i have a hard time thinking that made him a public figure. same with ceo making a political contribution to a campaign.

should every ceo be fired if he or she makes a personal contribution to a political campaign that some of his or her employees disagree with?

but now were getting particularly far afield from lions offseason moves.

its interesting that hunt and ray rice and colin kapernick get banned from the league, but matt patricia and riley cooper dont.  the public is fickle in who they demand their pound of flesh from.

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

damore never said that, nor did he post a memo saying it.  it was an internal post on a google message board. 

i have a hard time thinking that made him a public figure. same with ceo making a political contribution to a campaign.

should every ceo be fired if he or she makes a personal contribution to a political campaign that some of his or her employees disagree with?

but now were getting particularly far afield from lions offseason moves.

its interesting that hunt and ray rice and colin kapernick get banned from the league, but matt patricia and riley cooper dont.  the public is fickle in who they demand their pound of flesh from.

Eh, the lions suck. This is more interesting, at least to me. 

My bad and the damore thing. I’ll take your word for it. I just went off what some cursory googling suggested. Still, maybe don’t post something like that on a work message board? Or are we talking about a generic public message board? Either way, it does suck for something like that to go viral and ruin your career. 

As for the political contribution, I don’t know. If you are in a position where your political speech is going to be scrutinized, you should know better than to align yourself with someone that apparently everyone hates. That sucks that you can’t spend your money like that, I guess. But that comes with the territory, and maybe you should have just kept your wallet shut and enjoyed your millions in salary. 

To your final point, yeah. 

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I like Bevell much more than a few of the other names that had been throw out like Sark, Hackett, and Haley.  

I am a little concerned because Russell Wilson is such a dynamic player and makes so many things happen out of thin air.  It’s hard to tell how many of those Bevell playcalls were genius moves or complete busts that Russell instead turned into something.   

Also does this at least bring the possibility of Kyler Murray at #8 on the table for discussion?  Bevell was the one that found Wilson and brought him up from day 1.   They could be hoping for him to do it again.  It would also buy Quinn and Patricia more time.  

I’ve also wondered what would happen if Murray is still on the board at #8. I kind of doubt whether Mrs. Ford and Rod Wood would sign off on it... even if it may turn out to be the right move.  

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Brett Favre had arguably the best year of his career under Bevell. Stafford and Favre are similar QBs. It seems like he designed and called plays for the talent he had. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Brett Favre had arguably the best year of his career under Bevell. Stafford and Favre are similar QBs. It seems like he designed and called plays for the talent he had. 

I don’t believe he was calling plays in GB.    

Just now, Hongbit said:

I don’t believe he was calling plays in GB.    

I'm talking Minnesota. Favre was at the end of his career and had one of his best seasons. 

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm talking Minnesota. Favre was at the end of his career and had one of his best seasons. 

Aha.  I typically think about his SB years as his best but he did have that one monster year at age 40 with the Vikes.  

Brett Favre had the highest QB rating, highest completion percentage, and fewest interceptions of his career under the only year he played for Bevell as a play caller. This coming off a season with the Jets where it looked like he was done. Ironically, Minnesota's season that year ended on an interception as well. 

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I’ve also wondered what would happen if Murray is still on the board at #8. I kind of doubt whether Mrs. Ford and Rod Wood would sign off on it... even if it may turn out to be the right move.  

Not unless he can play corner or rush end.

I've begun the process of resigning myself to the fact that it will likely be a Left Tackle or Guard at #8 since the Lions won't be bringing TJ back and could be cutting Rick Wagner as well.

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

Not unless he can play corner or rush end.

For the record, I don’t want Murray, but maybe he ends up looking like Baker Mayfield. 

16 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Brent Farve pretty much started Bevell's career. Farve has also made it known the first year in Minny ( the year he was actually good), he willfully disregarded plays called by Bevell.