Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

20 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Valenti is talking about it now . . . Yes or no on the Lions signing Kareem Hunt?

I'd sign him in a New York second if I thought he could help my football team, and especially if he comes at a bargain rate.

To me, what he does off the field is irrelevant to his employability for running with a football.   There are civil and criminal justice systems for dealing with bad behavior outside of his workplace.  If I were accused of domestic violence, or took illegal drugs, or engaged in some other misconduct away from my job, I would not be fired or suspended or suffer any punitive action from my employer.  I suspect that that is true of most of the people on this board.

This country once had a president who was "allegedly" a rapist and certainly committed perjury while in office, and he kept his position.  Here, we're talking about a guy whose job is to run until someone else knocks him down.  So I sure don't see why he should be prevented from working at his job based on what he did or allegedly did outside of it.

I think that the NFL players' union has been taken for a ride by Roger Goody Two Shoes over the so-called "Personal Conduct" policy.  I have long believed that the relevant provision in the CBA was intended to cover only misconduct that affected the game on the field or its "integrity" -- stuff like a player betting on his games, or shaving points, or attacking officials or coaches or spectators, or deliberately trying to injure other players, or intentionally using nonconforming footballs.  I think that, at least, the union saw it that way.  But when RGTS started handing out punishment for off-the-field stuff unrelated to football, the union went into a fetal position and took a beating without putting up a fight.  The NFLPA has always been pretty weak, and it has been weakened a lot further under the Reign of Roger.

As for the argument that letting bad people play football means that the league or the team condones or even tacitly approves of bad behavior like domestic violence, I don't buy that.  A man beating up a woman is obviously a very bad thing.  It's just not a thing that should be dealt with by the NFL, in my opinion.

I’d guess that if anyone on this board made national news with the name of their employer prominently mentioned for any type of misconduct away from the job they would at the very least be suspended pending an internal investigation and most likely fired on the spot.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Guys who punch pregnant girlfriends?

The Chiefs are gigantic hypocrites for keeping Hill around, when he choked and punched his pregnant girlfriend, yet cutting Hunt. Kareem never had criminal charges brought against him either.

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’d guess that if anyone on this board made national news with the name of their employer prominently mentioned for any type of misconduct away from the job they would at the very least be suspended pending an internal investigation and most likely fired on the spot.  

I disagree.  Do promoters and record labels cancel concerts and refuse to sell music  when the singers and bands involved do bad stuff?  Are movies not released and an actor in  it not paid  because he is accused of hitting his girlfriend or is arrested for drug possession?

I've never understood why sports, among all of the entertainment-providing businesses, have been singled out in many ways.  Such as the big deal that was made of the NFL playing its games the weekend after the assassination of John Kennedy, or the cancellation or postponement of games after 9/11.  Did every movie theater shut down after those events?  Was every scheduled concert canceled?  Were bands and karaoke machines silenced in every bar?  Did TV networks stop airing shows and did radio stations decline to play music?  Nope.   

52 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

I disagree.  Do promoters and record labels cancel concerts and refuse to sell music  when the singers and bands involved do bad stuff?  Are movies not released and an actor in  it not paid  because he is accused of hitting his girlfriend or is arrested for drug possession?

I've never understood why sports, among all of the entertainment-providing businesses, have been singled out in many ways.  Such as the big deal that was made of the NFL playing its games the weekend after the assassination of John Kennedy, or the cancellation or postponement of games after 9/11.  Did every movie theater shut down after those events?  Was every scheduled concert canceled?  Were bands and karaoke machines silenced in every bar?  Did TV networks stop airing shows and did radio stations decline to play music?  Nope.   

JFK was 55 years ago and  9/11 was 18.   The times have changed.  

Just this week, R.Kelly has had a number of concerts cancelled due to sexual allegations.

They refused to release the movie All The Money In The World staring Kevin Spacey until it was re-shot without him in it.   The studio spent millions on the edit.    

Dave Matthews Band fired one of its founding members and took him off their new album over harassment allegations.  

I can keep going on and on from Louis CK to Harvey Weinstein about how people’s personal actions now have a huge impact on their professional careers. 

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

JFK was 55 years ago and  9/11 was 18.   The times have changed.  

Just this week, R.Kelly has had a number of concerts cancelled due to sexual allegations.

They refused to release the movie All The Money In The World staring Kevin Spacey until it was re-shot without him in it.   The studio spent millions on the edit.    

Dave Matthews Band fired one of its founding members and took him off their new album over harassment allegations.  

I can keep going on and on from Louis CK to Harvey Weinstein about how people’s personal actions now have a huge impact on their professional careers. 

I'm not here to talk about the present.

• Haha 1

Lions hire Darrell Bevell as offensive coordinator.

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

How do we feel about this?

I'll admit to not following the OC search much, but I occasionally hear radio chatter about it.  This wasn't a name I ever heard brought up that I recall.

Rumor mill is that he had interest as OC from at least Bengals and Falcons and Jaguars.

12 minutes ago, Kamakzie said:

How do we feel about this?

We feel that since this is the Lions it doesn’t matter who they bring in. 

It will be power run fullback offense with some rollouts and bootlegs and Stafford. They won't be spreading people out and going with tempo that much. I'd guess they'll need at least two tight ends to make it work.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:07 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Valenti is talking about it now . . . Yes or no on the Lions signing Kareem Hunt?

Did Kerryon get traded?  If not, then no.

I don't understand the running back obsession.  It's so far down the list of needs that it's not even worth mentioning.  They already have their #1RB, all they need is a short yardage runner, Zenner?

As far as Hunt is concerned, smells like a Raiders move to me.

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Chiefs are gigantic hypocrites for keeping Hill around, when he choked and punched his pregnant girlfriend, yet cutting Hunt. Kareem never had criminal charges brought against him either.

It was caught on video and he lied to them.  That's zero tolerance with any team.

We could go on and on about all the teams employing players with criminal history but when a player is caught in the act and lies to the team on top of that?  Done

So if you want to replicate vintage Seattle you need the following:

-Defensive End and/or rush linebacker

-Ballhawk safety

-more corners.

To make the offense work, you need real tight ends at least one top notch blocker and good move tight end. Throw in a slot receiver.

25 minutes ago, kdog said:

He developed Russell Wilson so not too bad I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They hired the guy who made the worst play call in Super Bowl history and one of the worst in pro football history. 

That's just being lazy, imho.  Was the call a mistaken?  Almost certainly.  Does that mean the guy is a failure?  Not in the slightest.  I don't know that he's going to be a success at all, but I'm not going to disqualify a guy because I made one boneheaded play-call.  My guess is that most (if not all) OCs have made a boneheaded play call they want back in their careers... probably several.  It just stinks that his came on the biggest stage in football.

The biggest thing that sucks about it is all that lazy writers out there who will focus on this and only this when commenting about him.

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They hired the guy who made the worst play call in Super Bowl history and one of the worst in pro football history. 

O.T.L.

Fortunately, the Lions won’t be in that position. 

(I think Pete probably made that playcall).

Just now, RedRamage said:

That's just being lazy, imho.  Was the call a mistaken?  Almost certainly.  Does that mean the guy is a failure?  Not in the slightest.  I don't know that he's going to be a success at all, but I'm not going to disqualify a guy because I made one boneheaded play-call.  My guess is that most (if not all) OCs have made a boneheaded play call they want back in their careers... probably several.  It just stinks that his came on the biggest stage in football.

The biggest thing that sucks about it is all that lazy writers out there who will focus on this and only this when commenting about him.

MCS is a lazy writer confirmed

Bevell is going backwards instead of going to the light and joining successful teams in this new offensive era.     

Matt Patricia is a joke.   

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Bevell is going backwards instead of going to the light and joining successful teams in this new offensive era.     

Matt Patricia is a joke.   

This hire makes perfect Lions sense.

Sometimes you have to take 6 steps backwards to take 3 steps forward.  

Here are some stats on Bevell from Pride of Detroit.

Both with the Vikings and the Seahawks, Bevell liked to build his offense through the run. Here’s a look at the run DVOA rankings for all the teams he coordinated:

Vikings 2006: 22nd
Vikings 2007: 3rd 
Vikings 2008: 21st 
Vikings 2009: 23rd 
Vikings 2010: 8th 
Seahawks 2011: 14th 
Seahawks 2012: 1st 
Seahawks 2013: 7th 
Seahawks 2014: 1st 
Seahawks 2015: 3rd 
Seahawks 2016: 22nd 
Seahawks 2017: 23rd

For years, the Seahawks were an extremely impressive offense capable of moving the ball, scoring plenty of points, and staying on the field long enough to give their defense some rest. Just look at their overall offensive DVOA and points scored rankings during his reign:

Seahawks 2011: 22nd in DVOA, 23rd in points scored
Seahawks 2012: 4th in DVOA, 9th in points scored
Seahawks 2013: 7th in DVOA, t-8th in points scored
Seahawks 2014: 5th in DVOA, 10th in points scored
Seahawks 2015: 1st in DVOA, t-4th in points scored
Seahawks 2016: 16th in DVOA, 18th in points scored
Seahawks 2017: 14th in DVOA, 11th in points scored

Pure speculation... hiring someone as experienced as Bevell — a “retread,” some might say — indicates that Quinn doesn’t feel like he has a long enough leash to gamble on a hot, young, offensive mind. 

I know, Quinn said it was Patricia’s decision, but I think they are joined at the hip, and if Quinn doesn’t make the playoffs next year he (and Patricia) will officially be on thin ice. 

In any event, Bevell will be the best OC Stafford has played under. 

I think this will either work or not work. Pretty confident in that prediction.