Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would not extend Slay. He's still under contract so I expect him to play next year but know it's a possibility he holds out. I would work on an extension for Golladay. CB is a need but I wouldn't pass up a LT if the LT is a better prospect than the CB. 

*Edit* I should add, it depends on how much with Slay. I have a feeling he wants to be one of the top paid corners in the league and I feel he is no longer worth it. 

Without an extension, Slay will 100% be holding out of all off season activities including training camp.    The only question is whether he will hold out during the season or not.  

I do expect the team will give him a 3 year deal with an option that will put him somewhere in the top 10 of CB. 

I expect Slay to be extended and to be the top paid corner in the league.  He has them in a bind.  They can't cut him and win next year and they have to win next year or else they're fired (which is why they should have been fired after this year's debacle, but I digress).

Also talk that Harrison could retire.

But, as usual, whether the Lions are 3-13 or 9-7 depends on Stafford.  He is the whole team.  We saw what they were without him this season.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree that he will likely be extended even though I personally wouldn't do it.  

He'll be 29 in a couple days and CBs are known to fall off a cliff at any given time, particularly around that age.  Nnamdi Asomugha and Darrell Revis come to mind as recent examples.  They were much better than Slay in their primes but completely collapsed around the age of 29.  I fear the same result for Slay.

A decline is very likely but it’s not impossible to get better with age.  There is the Richard Sherman anomaly which Is one of the more amazing stories of this season. He’s having the best year of his career at 31 and is statistically the best corner in football.    

44 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

A decline is very likely but it’s not impossible to get better with age.  There is the Richard Sherman anomaly which Is one of the more amazing stories of this season. He’s having the best year of his career at 31 and is statistically the best corner in football.    

a dominant pass rush and the refs letting you get away with murder help...

On 12/30/2019 at 6:35 AM, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I agree that he will likely be extended even though I personally wouldn't do it.  

He'll be 29 in a couple days and CBs are known to fall off a cliff at any given time, particularly around that age.  Nnamdi Asomugha and Darrell Revis come to mind as recent examples.  They were much better than Slay in their primes but completely collapsed around the age of 29.  I fear the same result for Slay.

You always take that risk in signing anyone post rookie deal, but nothing about Slay says that is particularly likely either. I wouldn't go crazy on a deal for him, but in the win now position we are in, with our coverage scheme and how good his numbers still are against #1 WRs, I think you gotta hold steady there for a few years. I won't cry if we get a haul for him either though, haha. 

Slay, Coleman,Amani leaves me reasonably comfortable at CB. I would want to challenge them with depth, but its good enough to allow us to focus on the pass rush and maybe one more coverage safety with our resources instead for now. 

On 12/29/2019 at 7:36 PM, Buddha said:

I expect Slay to be extended and to be the top paid corner in the league.  He has them in a bind.  They can't cut him and win next year and they have to win next year or else they're fired (which is why they should have been fired after this year's debacle, but I digress).

Also talk that Harrison could retire.

But, as usual, whether the Lions are 3-13 or 9-7 depends on Stafford.  He is the whole team.  We saw what they were without him this season.

I have a feeling Peters' recent deal could be the Slay blueprint. 3/42 but with heavy guarantees. I don't think he'll get highest corner money. He's not on the open market and he takes a large risk in betting on himself and playing the season out before hitting FA. Plus we could tag him and not allow him to hit the market until 31. There's a compromise to be built around those numbers. 

Harrison is interesting for sure. We saw what a game changer he is, but at the same time if he retires it frees up a lot of money. You probably use it to pay Ashawn, draft Brown and move forward. Look at some fat FA NTs on the cheap. There are tougher holes to fill, but at the same time it would be awesome if he could put one last typical Snacks season for us. 

I think they'll upgrade backup QB a bit so we're not quite so dependent. Kinda like you saw LAC try to do with adding Tyrod last year. 

35 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I have a feeling Peters' recent deal could be the Slay blueprint. 3/42 but with heavy guarantees. I don't think he'll get highest corner money. He's not on the open market and he takes a large risk in betting on himself and playing the season out before hitting FA. Plus we could tag him and not allow him to hit the market until 31. There's a compromise to be built around those numbers

I’d love for this to be the case but I don’t think Slay would take those numbers.   

Peters was on his rookie contract and the $14M was a nice upgrade over the $9M he made in the last year of his old contact.   Slay made $13.5M last year and I don’t see him taking such a small bump that would probably leave him underpaid again in a season or two. 

Just now, Hongbit said:

I’d love for this to be the case but I don’t think Slay would take those numbers.   

Peters was on his rookie contract and the $14M was a nice upgrade over the $9M he made in the last year of his old contact.   Slay made $13.5M last year and I don’t see him taking such a small bump that would probably leave him underpaid again in a season or two. 

Rookie contracts don't factor into how much your next one is. Peters was set to hit FA. Slay is not hitting FA and he is hitting age 30. Doubt he'll ever be underpaid again. 

If there is one person I want this off-season it is John Dorsey. I would make an offer to bring in Dorsey as a front office assistant if I am Martha or Sheila Ford. A stupid decision by Jimmy Haslam to fire him in Cleveland yesterday after only two years. Dorsey did a solid job managing the draft in Green Bay and to a point in Cleveland, even if the record this year didn't display it.

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah because that Browns team really overachieved with Dorsey. 

The guy had two years, one of which he had Hue Jackson for half the season. The Browns drafting improved (I know, not saying much) and the team was trending in a better direction. Did he screw up hiring Freddie Kitchens, of course, but I'm not bringing him in to hire and fire coaches. Forget the Browns though, he had several solid mid- late round steals drafting in KC (Hill, Kelce) and helped run the Packers drafts that brought in a string of successful teams and a Super Bowl. A Packers franchise that rarely spent money on free agents as well.

I don't think Cleveland should have fired him, but at the same time, I'm not going to intentionally create conflict in the front office just to bring him aboard. Either you are 100% behind Quinn or you're not, and if you're not, you fire Quinn and hire Dorsey. 

All I'm saying is that it is clear Quinn struggles at drafting and Dorsey could potentially be brought on in an advisory role to offer input on the draft. It would be similar to what they did with Brian Xanders, minus the Assistant GM title he was given here.